Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost10: The VSS Provider vetoed the operation (Read 10768 times)
cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost10: The VSS Provider vetoed the operation
Dec 8th, 2006 at 5:39am

Anybody know what this "info" error means?

Ghost 10.0 has an email notification feature.  You can set it up to send emails describing events, failures, etc.  I've done that.

This morning, I get the following:

Date: 12/8/2006 0:03:55 AM
Notification Type: Notice
Priority: High
Description: Info 6C8F0436: A scheduled incremental recovery point of C:\ completed successfully.
Info 60BB0158: The VSS Provider vetoed the operation.
See the application event log.
Details:

It appears that my backup worked (and didn't).

I search Google on 6C8F0436.  Nothing
I search Symantec on 6C8F0436: Nothing

Cardinal bitching session BEGINNING:

Didn't it occur to the programmer (which I sometimes am) to tell somebody that they were putting a certain error-code in the program, so it could be added to some documentation??  
Cardinal bitching session END:

I'd be grateful to know what this means.  Thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost10: The VSS Provider vetoed the operation
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 8:46am

cardinal23

We're trying to keep Ghost 9/10/Save & Restore questions in their own forum--so I changed your title slightly to attract the correct users' attention + moved it here!

Quote:
See the application event log.

Did you review the *event log*?

My interpretation of the above *Notice* is that the scheduled event occurred at its appointed time--meaning that the scheduler started the incremental recovery point as scheduled--the
scheduling
completed successfully....but, the actual procedure was stopped (vetoed) by the VSS Provider--so in reality, no incremental recovery point was created.

So, unless proven otherwise, your scheduling program is working fine, but you are not getting an incremental backup created.

We'll wait for a Ghost 10 expert to hopefully add insight!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 8:50am

cardinal23

Quote:
Didn't it occur to the programmer (which I sometimes am) to tell somebody that they were putting a certain error-code in the program, so it could be added to some documentation??

Is it not ironic--Symantec can not offer a good, well written User Manual, they tell you to contact *Technical Support* if there's a problem--but, the *Technical Support* typically knows less than the person asking the questions (  Angry )--classic *catch-22*!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 1:04pm

David,

Smokin Joe had the same error message. Are you still sending the images to an external HD? The same one that worked before.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11489...

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 2:07pm

I also contacted Symantec's "Live Support" and got promised a CD TWICE.  Guess how many CDs I got?  Yep, none.
Bluntly, I don't like Symantec's technical support.  It's easy to stand on the sidelines and bitch - and that's what I'm doing.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 11:06pm

cardinal23,  take a look at some of these Google results:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=VSS+Provider+vetoed+the+operation

particularly this Microsoft link.

It sounds like some type of configuration or other i/o activity prevented the completion.

If nothing else is running in the background, you could try and run the incremental backup manually.  See if that works.  Make sure you have access to the target location and have a clean chkdsk x: /f run against the x: drive.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 2:45pm

cardinal23 wrote on Dec 8th, 2006 at 2:07pm:
I also contacted Symantec's "Live Support" and got promised a CD TWICE.  Guess how many CDs I got?  Yep, none.
Bluntly, I don't like Symantec's technical support.  It's easy to stand on the sidelines and bitch - and that's what I'm doing.

I agree about Symantec's "Dead Support". 

However, try and contact them again.  This time, tell them you want to download the updated CD ISO image.  You should get an id and password to download a later version of the Recovery CD.  Then burn that to cd with Nero or other burning software.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print