HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newby with Ghost 9 (Read 5736 times)
matelot
Ex Member

Newby with Ghost 9
Dec 8th, 2006 at 5:53pm

I have just purchased ghost9 after a disasterous HD failure.
I have not yet purchased a second HD to ghost to, but have been unable to find an answer to this question.
My NEW C drive is a SATA 250gig drive (One partition)with approximately 50 gigs of data (including winXP and programs).
Do I need another 250 gig (or bigger) drive, or does ghost9 only need more available space than the data it's copying.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Newby with Ghost 9
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 7:40pm

Quote:
does ghost9 only need more available space than the data it's copying.

matelot,

When you create a compressed backup image (Recovery point) of your C: drive it will be a single (or split) file about 35 GB in size. Depending on how many non compressible files are present (video, music, photos) determines final size. So potentially you could put around 7 backup images on a 250 GB HD. It's nice to keep at least 3 images of your C:drive and you will think of other uses for a second HD so plan on this basis.

IP Logged

matelot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 3:08pm

Thank you Brian. I gather from your reply that the second (ghost) HD need only be bigger than the data to be written. Your reply brings to mind another question. If you do a new standard ghost, does this require reformatting the entire drive or does it only  erase the existing data.
I had used ghost 2003 and I seem to recall that the entire drive was reformated on subsequent ghosts.
Your answer seems to imply that you can use the excess on the HD for other files, etc
All the above assumes a single partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 11:25pm

matelot,

No need to format this HD. Let's say you create a recovery point (backup image) today. Next week you create another. The week after you create another. Then you will have three separate recovery points. Recovery points are just files. You can add them and delete them at will.

Just use the second HD as a storage area. Put any files you like on this HD. Use it when creating video. It's faster to write data from one HD to another HD than writing data to another area on the same HD.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print