Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adding SATA support to Boot CD (Read 3901 times)
Mavfreak
Ex Member

Adding SATA support to Boot CD
Dec 17th, 2006 at 12:33pm

First off, I want to say I'm sorry if this has been answered in another place.  I did a search and nothing came up for me.

I have created the ghost CD on steroids, and I think it's GREAT!  I do some computer repair on the side and always wanted a way to create a restore CD/DVD without having to install ghost on the machine in question.

In my searching, I found some great advice for adding better USB support and I plan on playing with that a little.  However,
I do have a question about adding support for SATA drives to the disk.  When I booted my main computer from the CD I made, it didn't see my secondary drive.  My primary is EIDE, but the secondary is SATA.  Granted, in this situation I don't need to create a restore image of the SATA drive, but a day will come when I might need to.

What do I need to do to get this functionality to the boot cd?

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Adding SATA support to Boot CD
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 1:01pm

Mavfreak

You may have to adjust your BIOS so your SATA controller is compatible with DOS at least temporarily while using DOS Ghost.

And/or you may have to start Ghost with the *-fni* switch--you can actually do that with the boot CD you have already created--simply *quit* Ghost, and at the A:\ prompt, type *ghost.exe -fni*  (of course without the *'s), and press *enter*.

If you were to try the *-noide* switch, your primary EIDE HDD would no longer be available, as well as probably your optical drive if it is IDE too!

SATA HDD's and Ghost!

Re: Bootable cd without floppy

Report back with the results of your testing--it would be of interest!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Mavfreak
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 2:45pm

Thanks for the tip.  We have some PCs at work with only SATA drives.  I'll tinker on one of them and see if I have the same issues.

IP Logged

Mavfreak
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 5:02pm

Well, enableing the SATA raid in the BIOS seemed to have cleared up the problem.  I can now see to image from or to my secondary drive.  That's quite a bit easier than adding a driver into the mix.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print