Send Topic Print
G 10 Queries! (Read 8381 times)
Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

G 10 Queries!
Dec 18th, 2006 at 7:10am

Hello every one,

Out of curiosity installed Ghost 10 & created a complete back up of C partition.

It created a restore point & a complete back up on D partition.

2 files i.e. C_Drive001 size 5.18 GB & a Symantec recovery disk file size 1017 bytes.

I want to restore this image, to see the difference between an image created & restored by Ghost 10 vs. 2003.

My questions are:

1. When I try to restore the file it prompts to go into system recovery envoirment…..how do I do that?

2. Can I directly burn an image onto a DVD media, before Ghost 10 starts to create it, instead of on D partition, if yes than how?

3. How can an image on multiple DVD media be restored…..created earlier by Ghost 10?

4. Can Ghost 10 & 2003 coexist?

5. What’s the difference between Ghost 2003 & Ghost version 8.2, besides that they are both DOS?

6. What’s the version of Ghost 2003 if any?

Hoping to hear from you,

Regards!

Ivanov.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: G 10 Queries!
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 8:53am

Ivanov wrote on Dec 18th, 2006 at 7:10am:
"... 4. Can Ghost 10 & 2003 coexist?..."

If Norton Ghost 2003 is not installed concurrently on the system with Norton Ghost 10, it could conceivably run successfully from removable bootable media in the DOS mode (as opposed to the Windows GUI mode).

Ivanov wrote on Dec 18th, 2006 at 7:10am:
"... 5. What’s the difference between Ghost 2003 & Ghost version 8.2, besides that they are both DOS?..."

Other than the fact that Norton Ghost Version 8.2 runs in a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment as it emulates the DOS mode (while not running in DOS per se), it seems there is little meaningful difference between them.  The beauty of this is avoiding virtually all external USB driver and SATA HDD conflicts associated with a transition to DOS.  Also, bear in mind that the *.gho/*.ghs files of Norton Ghost 2003 and Norton Ghost Version 8.2 are totally compatible and interchangeable.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 9:29am

El_Pescador

Quote:
Other than the fact that Norton Ghost Version 8.2 runs in a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment as it emulates the DOS mode (while not running in DOS per se), it seems there is little meaningful difference between them.

Well...it *depends*--Ghost 8.x is/was the Corporate version of Ghost--not actually released to the *public*!

Ghost 2003 was the last retail version of the *original* Ghost program that depends on DOS as its OS--and the *equivalent* Corporate Ghost version as v7.xx.

With the release of Ghost 8.x--that version not only had the DOS version of *classic* Ghost--but it also had a new Windows based (i.e. dependent) version of the Ghost program--a 32-bit program that runs under a Windows OS in a *command* Window.  Other than the *Windows* dependency--it looks and acts much like the true DOS version.

When you load the 32-bit version of Ghost 8.x, the top title line says, *Ghost32 8.2* as opposed to the true DOS version which would be *Ghost 8.2*.

The main limitation of using the 32-bit Ghost version is that if you load it while running your HDD based Windows OS, you can not backup or restore an image of your OS partition--because Ghost is *dependent* on that OS partition to run!  However, if you boot to the WinPE (Pre-installation Environment) that is used by BartPE, Ghost 10's installation CD which boots the Recovery Environment, and other WinPE variants--now the active OS is not on the HDD, but in RAM from loading from the CD--so, now you can create an image of the HDD OS partition because it is not *active* and Ghost32 is not *dependent* on it.

So, there's Ghost 8.2 for DOS--and there's Ghost32 8.2 for Windows!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 10:24am

Ivanov, concerning your initial post:

Question 1:  The “recovery environment” that you reference is the Ghost 10 recovery environment, which is invoked by booting from the Ghost 10 product CD.  If you did not purchase the application on a CD but instead downloaded it, you should have an ISO file to burn that will create the CD.  Note that it is only necessary to enter the recovery environment when restoring the operating system partition; other restorations can be done from within Ghost running in Windows XP.

Questions 2 and 3:  See pages 58+ in the Norton Ghost 10.0 User’s Guide for information “About selecting a recovery point storage location.”  Most individuals find it easier and faster to write a recovery point to an external hard disk drive, and then later burn it to DVD discs (if desired).  Also see page 62, “Setting advanced backup options”, for information on how to specify a “split size” for the recovery point files.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 1:45pm

Thanks EP, NightOwl & Pleonasm for your comments.

Pleonasm,

It’s a retail Ghost 10 CD & not a trail version.

I agree & understand what you are trying to imply.

My XP isn’t corrupted or non bootable but still it prompts for system recovery envoirment?

This is what I do open Ghost 10 > Recovery>Recover My Computer & the following are the messages displayed…..

Regards!

Ivanov.

IP Logged

Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 2:02pm

A friend of mine who really is  a computer geek & Linux guru, came over the other day & installed VM ware Work station 5.5 & Red hat Linux on one of my machines. 

He’s a great advocate of open source & Linux OSs & has a bad taste for M$ products. Has been working on Linux/Open source for the last 8 years or so, approx 12 hrs a day….he’s an IT pro. 

He understands my professional needs for having a windows OS but wants me to switch over to Linux OS gradually. 

Although this may defocus me from my primary aim that is stem cell………

Just sharing my thoughts... 

Regards to all….. a Merry Xmas & a Happy New year in advance…..

Ivanov.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 2:52pm

El_Pescador wrote on Dec 18th, 2006 at 8:53am:
"... Other than the fact that Norton Ghost Version 8.2 runs in a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment as it emulates the DOS mode (while not running in DOS per se), it seems there is little meaningful difference between them..."

NightOwl wrote on Dec 18th, 2006 at 9:29am:
"... it *depends*--Ghost 8.x is/was the Corporate version of Ghost--not actually released to the *public*!..."

I stand corrected.  My excuse is that I am so shocked at the loss by the Saints to the Redskins yesterday it left me addle-brained for most of this morning.  To be more precise, what I should
have said was:

Quote:
"... Other than the fact that Norton Ghost Version 8.2 runs in a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment as it emulates the DOS mode (while not running in DOS per se),
there is little apparent difference between them to the casual observer during operations
..."

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print