Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and XP Pro x64 (Read 15509 times)
hymie
Ex Member

Ghost 2003 and XP Pro x64
Dec 18th, 2006 at 9:30pm

Does anyone have experience with Ghost 2003 with XP Pro 64 bit version?

Hymie

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 2003 and XP Pro x64
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 11:13am

it would seem not.

ghost 2003, as you probably know, works from dos, which doesn't recognize windows .. only bits and bytes, so it doesn't matter which version of windows you're using .. certainly so when you run it from a bootable floppy or cd/dvd.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 3:53pm

Rad wrote on Dec 20th, 2006 at 11:13am:
ghost 2003, as you probably know, works from dos, which doesn't recognize windows .. only bits and bytes, so it doesn't matter which version of windows you're using .. certainly so when you run it from a bootable floppy or cd/dvd.

Rad, while I almost agree with your statement, I think it needs a little clarification.

While, since Ghost 2003 works from DOS it doesn't matter which version of Windows you're using, it DOES matter what hardware you are using.

Ghost 2003, being a DOS program, must recognize and support all hardware and i/o interfaces itself.  That's the nature of DOS as compared to Windows applications. 

A PC hardware built on 2007 and even later years standards may or may not be properly supported by a DOS program from 4 years earlier.  We're already seeing that with current SATA features and modern bios and motherboard issues and PCI card issues.  Next comes PCI express cards etc etc etc.

So, I agree, DOS Ghost 2003 will likely support any operating system.  But not necessarily all current (and future) PC hardware.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 5:05pm

okay, good point.

yeah, it's the hardware, not the o/s.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 5:19pm

Let's hope that Vista software doesn't require some sort of hardware technology change to be fully implemented.

I remember when Windows Me came out.  As I recall, you couldn't install it on a lot of motherboards.  There was some sort of new bios feature (ACPI or APCI I can't remember exactly) that was required for Me to install and work fully.

If that happens with Vista, that could be a premature death to Ghost 2003 and other DOS programs after the new hardware specs occurs.

I sense something like that is occurring because Microsoft has a new imaging backup software out.  And, Symantec (and I assume others) are releasing backup versions targeted to Vista.

Even looking at the Ghost 2003, Ghost 9, 10, and Save & Restore versions are really released addressing more hardware support changes than functional software changes.  The reasons for upgrading in the last 4 years have been, in my opinion, more for hardware support than for new features.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

hymie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 9:20pm

Thanks, folks.. You pretty much confirmed my thoughts, but it is always good to have another person reach the same conclusion.
Again, Thanks !

hymie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print