Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SystemWorks 2006 Premier & Ghost Version (Read 11420 times)
Beth
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

SystemWorks 2006 Premier & Ghost Version
Dec 19th, 2006 at 6:43am

I was used to using good old Ghost 2003 and then ended up buying Norton Systemworks 2006 Premier, which has (to me) an unknown version of Ghost contained therein.  It allows two Ghost-like functions:  "Backup" and "Copy Entire Disk."  Both of these are in the GUI, and there is no DOS option that I can find.

I have one drive that is loaded with everything that I want, and I would like to keep it pristine.  I have labeled that drive "Master".  Therefore, I want to Ghost it to another drive, this one labeled "Copy."  The Copy drive would be my working drive that I could "fix" anytime by blowing out a clean image from the Master drive.  Both are internal SATA drives, and I am running XP.

I chose "Copy Entire Disk" (which sounded like the traditional Ghost process to me) from the Master drive to the Copy drive.  I chose to make the Copy drive bootable but did not copy over the MBR because my drives are formatted FAT32 (to allow for some Linux stuff).  I got a successful dialog box from Ghost and detached the Master drive.  I turned the machine back on, and it will not not boot entirely; I get the Windows splash screen, it goes to the XP splash screen, and then it just hangs.

When I reattached the Master drive, I get a successful boot.  I entered Windows Disk Management to try to rename the Copy drive as drive C: or, alternately, the Master drive (which Windows labels "SYSTEM") as drive D:, but that is not an option. 

So then I went ahead and chose "Backup."  I set my first restore point, backed up the Master drive to the Copy drive, and got three files:
     C_drive001.v2i (which is about 3GB)
     C_drivei001.iv2i (1MB)
     and a recovery disk file (teeny)

To relate this back to something I know, are these files the image files that I used to restore from when using the DOS version of Ghost (you know, choose restore from image, point to the DVD drive, and walk away)? If I choose "Restore" in this version of Ghost's options, will it lay a clean image of my Master drive down on the Master drive based on the information in these files?  And why the heck didn't "Copy Entire Disk" work?

Normally I would just experiment and find out, but I spent a good two hours setting up the Master drive the way I want it, and I really don't want to screw it up by blowing a funky image back onto it.  Nor do I want to buy another hard drive just to play.

Any advice, information, or commiseration would be appreciated.  Thanks, and happy holidays!  Grin

Beth

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: SystemWorks 2006 Premier & Ghost Version
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 1:35pm

Beth wrote on Dec 19th, 2006 at 6:43am:
It allows two Ghost-like functions:  "Backup" and "Copy Entire Disk."

Beth, welcome to hot imaging. I've checked the userguides for Ghost 9, 10 and 11 and I can't find the option "Copy Entire Disk". Could it have been "Copy my Hard Drive"? One of the criticisms of these Ghosts is that you can only do partition copies and not a disk copy.

Quote:
I turned the machine back on, and it will not not boot entirely; I get the Windows splash screen, it goes to the XP splash screen, and then it just hangs.

It sounds like you copied into a partition. You must copy into Unallocated Space.

Quote:
C_drive001.v2i (which is about 3GB)
     C_drivei001.iv2i (1MB)
     and a recovery disk file (teeny)

.v2i is the image file
.iv2i is an incremental image file. Not sure why you have it as you didn't do a second backup.
.sv2i is an index file and for practical purposes can be ignored.

Here is an explanation of how to "Copy my Hard Drive" and how to get out of trouble.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

Most people use "Copy my Hard Drive" as a technique to transfer their OS and data to a new HD. It isn't intended to be a backup technique although some use it that way. Mainly we write backup images to the second HD and keep occasional secondary backups on an external HD, networked computer, DVD discs or online storage.

You can use Ghost 8.2 (legacy choice) from the Recovery CD and do images, clones and restores using an app similar to Ghost 2003.

More questions?

IP Logged

Beth
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 7:39pm

Wow, Brian, thanks for your reply.  I'm still hung up, though.

I read your posts about Using Ghost 10-Using Copy My Hard Drive and followed your hints.  I wiped my "copy" drive using GDISK so it was totally unallocated, unformatted, etc.  With both drives attached to the mobo, I ran the "Copy My Hard Drive" (yup, you were right) command from C: to \: (because it didn't have a drive letter).  I chose primary partition and set disk to boot.  The clone was successful according to Ghost, but there was a note that something was "vetoed" by a process and that anything past sector 1024 may not be visible (so how in the heck is this a success?).  I then checked Windows Disk Management; as expected, no drive letter was assigned to the "copy" drive.  I named it D:\ and made sure it was basic, active, etc.

I detached the "master" drive and rebooted.  I got past the Windows splash screen to the XP logon screen.  When I clicked on my username, I got the "looking up your user settings" note.  It's trying to get further, gets to the blank purple screen that sits behind my desktop (which is a custom setting), and hangs with no icons.

So I tried everything again but this time chose not only primary partition and set disk to boot but also assigned drive letter D: in the Ghost dropdown box itself.  Blah blah blah, no love. 

It's not a question of jumpering because these are SATA drives.  If both drives are attached, the "master" drive is seen as "system" and the "copy" drive is seen as "active" in Disk Management.  This seems similar to your predicament in your Ghost 10 post of June 1, 2006, at 12:24AM ("The old HD kept its C drive letter even though it wasn't the System drive.").  Does this sound right to you? You corrected your problem using fdisk /mbr, and I am unfamiliar with this command.  Do you think it might apply?  Perhaps in my first attempt I shouldn't have named the "copy" drive D: in Disk Management when the "master" drive could see what I was doing.

Thanks so much for your help on this!

Beth

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 8:43pm

Beth, I don't think you are following my instructions.

Quote:
I named it D:\ and made sure it was basic, active, etc.

You should leave it without a drive letter. After the "clone" process you can't see the partition on the new HD in Windows Explorer as it doesn't have a drive letter. The partition is visible in Disk Management but leave it without a drive letter. Then shutdown, remove the "old" HD and boot to the "new" HD.

Your error message is concerning. I haven't seen that before. Are you following these instructions to the "letter"?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

Before starting again, could you run chkdsk /f /r on your C: drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 2:35am

Beth, how large are your HDs and how much used space do you have on your C: drive? Do you have partitioning software? Apart from the Windows defragger do you have Diskeeper or Perfect Disk?

This gives me some ideas for phase 2 if the current phase doesn't work.

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 2:36am

Question: Why did you stop using Ghost 2003?

IP Logged

Beth
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 8:19am

To C Man:  I use Systemworks 2003 at work and love it.  When I bought myself a new computer a couple of months ago, I bought Systemworks 2006 for use at home, thinking it would be as user-friendly.  Surprise!

To Brian:  Check THIS out.  So while I was typing my last post to you, I left my computer hanging on the post-splash screen, pre-user settings blank page.  A couple of hours later, I walked into the room and found that it had booted successfully! I rebooted three more times, and the hanging problem never resurfaced.

You are absolutely right--now that the heat of the moment has passed, I realize I didn't follow your instructions to the letter (pardon the pun) because I gave the "copy" drive a letter before I detached the "master" drive.

This is why I love computers.  They are magic! I am going to clone my drive correctly tonight, using your instructions, but I thought you'd be interested to know about this little experiment.

Thanks SO much for all of your help.   Grin

Beth

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 9:05am

Beth

Quote:
Norton Systemworks 2006 Premier, which has (to me) an unknown version of Ghost contained therein

Should be *Ghost 10*.

On the *Installation CD*, in very small print--it says *Includes Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier for Windows Me & 98 users*.  That being the case--only Ghost 2003 works on those OS's, so Ghost 2003 is on your Norton Systemworks 2006 Premier installation CD!

On the original Norton SystemWorks 2005 installation CD, I think there was a sub-directory where you had direct access to the DOS *ghost.exe* program that was the Ghost 2003.  And there were two different installation sub-directories--one was labeled *Ghost* which had the *.msi* file that installed the Windows Ghost 2003 interface, and another sub-directory labeled *GhostNT* which had the *.msi* file that installed the Ghost 10 interface.  Now on the SystemWorks 2006 installation CD--all support for Ghost 2003 is buried deep inside the CD, and only that *GhostNT* sub-directory is present.

Ghost 2003 is *hidden* in an RAR file that can be opened with *WinRAR*.  On the installation CD you fine the RAR file here:  *X:\NSW2005\NSW2005.EXE*, where X:\ is your optical drive letter.  Opening the *NSW204.exe* file with WinRAR, you find the DOS Ghost 2003 program under *Support\Ghost* sub-directory, and the Windows installation file (Ghost.msi) is under *Ghost* sub-directory.

You can only have Ghost 10 or Ghost 2003 Windows interface installed at one time--not both.  If you want Ghost 2003, you could uninstall Ghost 10, extract the files in the *NSW2005.exe* file using WinRAR to your HDD, and then run the *Ghost.msi* file--this will force the install of Ghost 2003, rather than following the *normal* installation routine of the Norton SystemWorks 2006 installation CD that defaults to installing Ghost 10 if you are running WinXP.  Of course, this assumes that you want the Windows interface of Ghost 2003 installed.  You can use DOS Ghost 2003 without ever installing the Windows interface!

Ghost 2003 Windows interface works fine on a WinXP system, it's just that Ghost 10 can only work on a WinXP system, and not WinME, or Win98.

You should be able to keep all the rest of Norton SystemWorks installed and untouched--of course--always best to have a Ghost backup image to rely on in case something goes wrong--these are major software changes and *things happen*!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 1:05pm

Beth wrote on Dec 21st, 2006 at 8:19am:
To C Man:  I use Systemworks 2003 at work and love it.  When I bought myself a new computer a couple of months ago, I bought Systemworks 2006 for use at home, thinking it would be as user-friendly.  Surprise!
Ah, ok, that' why I asked.  Nightowl's last post will be of great value to you then, looks like you can still use Ghost 2003.  Good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print