Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for Ghost 2003 update (Read 13339 times)
Bobdesk
N00b

and that's Mister Noob

Looking for Ghost 2003 update
Dec 19th, 2006 at 10:23pm

Hi

I just installed my copy of Ghost 2003 on my new computer and didn't realized that it wasn't supported anymore! I am looking for the latest update (ng2003b793_en.x86) but can't find it anywhere, and the link provided here (http://pcsystems.princeton.edu/nav/ng2003b793_en.x86) is not valid anymore. Anyone knows where I can find it?

Regards,

BDesk

IP Logged

OldMan
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Looking for Ghost 2003 update
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 7:44am

It sounds like you have used Ghost 2003 before.  Do you have it installed on another computer?  If you had it installed and it was updated there, you can get the newest build from the other computer.  I found this:
http://vetusware.com/download/Norton%20Ghost%202003/?id=215
It does not say what build it is, however.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 2:20pm

useful information:
Ghost2003(Symantec Ghost 8.0) is compatible with the new Serial ATA (SATA) standard

Workaround
Before you begin: If you are using Norton Ghost 2003, the latest
LiveUpdate includes the fix for this issue. To run LiveUpdate for Ghost
2003, open the program and then click LiveUpdate
Depending upon the mix of SATA and IDE drives installed to your system,
one of the following switches should resolve the problem:
If you have an IDE and an SATA drive, or only IDE drives:
-FNI Forces Ghost to use the BIOS to gain access to the IDE drive.
ghost /FNI
If you have an SATA drive and no IDE drives:
-NOIDE Disables access to IDE devices
If you boot with a boot disk, switch to the floppy with the ghost.exe
on it and type ghost /noide

regards Ben
Wink

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 2:54am

The latest Live Update did include a fix for that issue but Symantec dropped support for older versions of Ghost earlier this year, so if you try to use Live Update nothing will happen.

I checked the vetusware.com link from post #2.  It's an older version, not what you're looking for.

Bobdesk, where did you get that Princeton link? I found that several weeks ago and posted it in a few places.  You are correct, however, the file is no longer there.  If you either PM me your e-mail address or post it here I will send you the v793 build of the Ghost executable, as I got it from that site before it was removed.  Good timing on my part I guess.

IP Logged

mjs131325
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 2:14pm

C man...

Would you be able to send this file to me...

I have been looking for it all day and had no luck finding it... I I have the 789 one but not the 793 file...

Let me know if it's not a problem and I will PM you my email..

Thanks

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 2:41pm

It's not a problem, but in the spirit of honesty I'll ask that anyone interested do the same thing I offered to do when I was requesting the file myself: provide a screen shot showing Ghost installed on your own PC, or a DOS box with a "-ver" switch run on your own copy of Ghost.  Open up a tiny Notepad window and type "Hi, this is so-and-so from the such-and-such forum" and include it in the screen shot.

My e-mail is in my profile, feel free to send requests there.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 4:20pm

Quote:
"... If you either PM me your e-mail address or post it here I will send you the v793 build of the Ghost executable, as I got it from that site before it was removed.  Good timing on my part I guess..."
Quote:
"... It's not a problem, but in the spirit of honesty I'll ask that anyone interested do the same thing I offered to do when I was requesting the file myself: provide a screen shot showing Ghost installed on your own PC, or a DOS box with a '-ver' switch run on your own copy of Ghost.  Open up a tiny Notepad window and type 'Hi, this is so-and-so from the such-and-such forum' and include it in the screen shot..."

The C Man's
'Spirit of Honesty'
policy outlined above is very thought-provoking, and the entire issue certainly deserves further examination.  It brings to mind occasions on these boards when I used
"snail-mail" to send specially-modified twin-diskette sets of Ghost 2003 bootable floppies to other members who were having difficulty with external HDDs.  My failsafe technique was to leave the matching folders marked 'Ghost' empty on both floppies with the recipient being expected to add his own 'Ghost.exe' file to the said folder of the second diskette upon receipt.  On another occasion, I have even gone so far as to dispatch a lagniappe Norton Ghost 2003 installation CD (most recent version) from a boxed retail copy of Norton Ghost 10.0 to a deserving person gratis.  

I have even gone so far to likewise send out bootable BartPE/Reatogo-X-PE CDs, albeit sans proprietary executables of any kind with the default assumption that all correspondents would have properly-licensed Microsoft operating systems anyway.  However, there have been several instances where I was sorely tempted to offer sending a BartPE/Reatogo-X-PE CD bearing a combination Norton Ghost Ver 8.2/Partition Magic 8.0 setup, but up until The C Man outlined his policy above I have been averse to doing so for lack of confidence that doing so was entirely kosher.

Therefore, I pose the broad question of how and under what - if any - circumstances can such exchanges take place in a totally proper and transparent manner.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Bobdesk
N00b

and that's Mister Noob

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 9:24pm

Thank you all for your quick replies.

OldMan: No, it's not installed anymore on my old computer (I should have known better...) and the link you provided is for an older dos boot disk, but thanks anyway!

ben_mott: The version I have now does work with SATA but on legacy mode, so I want to try the latest one to avoid this "limitation"

The C Man: Sent you an e-mail as requested, thanks again!

Regards,

Bobdesk  8)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 10:19pm

Quote:
"... I'd like to request that someone send me a copy of the v793 build of GDisk.exe..."

My Outlook Express setup regards the GDisk executable files as 'unsafe attachments' and for three attempts positively balked at even accessing them.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Bobdesk
N00b

and that's Mister Noob

Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 10:38pm

Outlook Express --> Tools --> Options --> Security tab

Just uncheck the box "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus"  Wink

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 3:00am

There was a v793 build of GDisk in my x-mas stocking when I got home from work, so I removed my post with the request in it.  Thanks again, Mr. Elf!  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print