Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bare bones boot floppy to run Ghost off the HDD? (Read 7031 times)
C Man
Radmeister

Bare bones boot floppy to run Ghost off the HDD?
Dec 21st, 2006 at 3:31am

Sorry, I didn't know how else to put it given the space constraints of the subject line.  I have a Ghost boot floppy and several copies for safekeeping, but I want to run Ghost off the HDD because I'm impatient and it drives me nuts waiting for it to run off the floppy.  I've done if before and it works fine, but is there any reason I shouldn't do it?

Just as a simple example, say your hard drive has 2 partitions, C: for the OS and programs, and D: for backup, ghost images, data, whatever.  You create a "Ghost" folder on D: with the Ghost executable in it and run it from there.  So where a typical autoexec.bat file from a boot floppy would normally look something like this:

@echo off
MOUSE.COM
CD GHOST
GHOST.EXE

You'd change it and add a line directing it to your D: drive like this:

@echo off
MOUSE.COM
D:
CD GHOST
GHOST.EXE

As I said, I've done this and it works fine, but all I did was remove Ghost.exe from the floppy and put it on the HDD.  The floppy still has Autoexec.bat, Command.com, Io.sys, Mouse.com, & Msdos.sys on it.  Can more of those files be removed from the floppy and put onto the HDD, thereby making the transition from the floppy to the HDD even faster?  If so please explain.  I come up with ideas but don't always know how to implement them.  Undecided

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Bare bones boot floppy to run Ghost off the HD
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 4:08am

I have not created it myself but have tested a bootable CD with the same stuff as on the Ghost Boot Disks. It loads much quicker but there is no perceivable difference in performing the tasks.

Quote:
... and D: for backup, ghost images, data, whatever.

Creating a dedicated Ghost partition for Images is a good idea and an even better idea is to never defragment it.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 1:14pm

Christer wrote on Dec 21st, 2006 at 4:08am:
I have not created it myself but have tested a bootable CD with the same stuff as on the Ghost Boot Disks. It loads much quicker but there is no perceivable difference in performing the tasks.
Right, I don't have a problem with that, my image and restore processes go fairly quickly anyway.  It's the listening to the floppy doing its thing as it loads Ghost that drives me nuts.  I just want to know what the most minimal floppy is that would quickly redirect the procedure to the HDD. 

Quote:
Creating a dedicated Ghost partition for Images is a good idea and an even better idea is to never defragment it.
Right, I'm already there. Wink

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 4:41pm

I should have just messed around with this myself instead of even starting the thread in the first place - I mean, c'mon, there's only 5-6 total files on the boot floppy.  I tried moving more off the floppy to the HDD but it seems like Autoexec.bat, Command.com, Io.sys, & Msdos.sys need to stay on the floppy.  I can live with that, just getting Ghost off speeds it up enormously.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 9:15pm

Quote:
"... as a simple example, say your hard drive has 2 partitions, C: for the OS and programs, and D: for backup, ghost images, data, whatever.  You create a "Ghost" folder on D: with the Ghost executable in it and run it from there..."

My recollection is that the source HDD partition for the Ghost 2003 executable file has to be in the FAT32 file system format for such a hybrid approach as you are describing.  Be advised that DOS will assign the drive letter 'C:' to the very first FAT32 HDD partition it encounters (and will do so sequentially in the event more than one FAT32 partitions are present) so you will have something to sort out.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 3:37am

I have 2 additional but unrelated questions regarding Ghost boot floppies in general.

1. SET TZ=GHO+05:00

I've seen that in some autoexec.bats.  What the heck does it do/mean?

2. The boot floppy the Boot Wizard makes creates a separate Ghost folder with the executable in it, thereby requiring the line 'CD Ghost' in the autoexec.bat. What's the purpose of doing that as opposed to just having all the files together in one place?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 8:54am

The C Man

Quote:
1. SET TZ=GHO+05:00

*Set*--DOS command to create an *environmental variable* in DOS that is *permanent* for that DOS session.

T=Time

Z=Zone

The link below explains the structure of the *Set Time Zone* DOS command:

How to Set a Time Zone for Image for DOS

Apparently, on some systems, when saving an image to optical media or NTFS partitions, the *time stamp* of the image is not recorded correctly if Ghost is taking its *Date/Time* from the BIOS--so setting the *Time offset* environmental variable in DOS solves that problem.  Probably most folks don't even pay attention to the *Time stamp* on their image files:

Quote:
Please note that establishing a time zone environment variable is only necessary and applicable when saving images to NTFS partitions, or to CD/DVD discs.

Quote:
2. The boot floppy the Boot Wizard makes creates a separate Ghost folder with the executable in it, thereby requiring the line 'CD Ghost' in the autoexec.bat. What's the purpose of doing that as opposed to just having all the files together in one place?

It appears to be organizational structure to keep certain things sorted out--all the files could be simply in the *root directory* of the floppy, and not in separate sub-directories.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 2:54pm

Thanks.

I kinda figured my first question was related to timezone stuff but I couldn't figure out why it would need to be included in an autoexec.bat entry.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #8 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 3:47pm

the answer is you need a boot manager to boot off the recovery partition:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18480

the above information might help
there is an IBM boot manager on that link :
but remember the name of the recovery partition need to be
IBM _SERVICE
other wise it will not work.
Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2006 at 1:37pm

C man,
The only thing limiting you to how you use Ghost 2003 is your own imagination. Roll Eyes

Everything you said about booting from a FD and then running Ghost from your D: drive, is absolutely do'able.  But hey, why even bother with the slow boot from the FD at all?

I used to have only my trusy old Ghost boot floppy and of course it worked like a champ, but wait.....I also run a bunch of batch files from that disk too,,,,,,to clean up all the junk from my HD before I actually run Ghost.  Those batch files have to go back to the floppy for every line they run.  That process seems to just drag on forever. Sad 

So the next step was to get my floppy copied onto a CD for much faster program/batch file execution.  That works great!!!
The only drawback is that I can't edit the files on my CD.  I have to do all my updating and editing on the old floppy and then burn a new CD (Nero does this just fine).

The next step was to get my Ghost boot floppy onto a Flash Drive.
HP wrote a great little program that takes a boot floppy and copies it to a Flash Drive, making it bootable.  I now have several Flash Drives set up to boot to Ghost.  Your mobo needs to be able to boot from a USB device in order for this to work for you.  It's almost as fast as running the programs off'n a HD.
And, if you want to edit a file, or add a file, that's really easy with the flash drive.

Relying on running Ghost off'n a HD, is very iffy at best.  What happens when the HD squalls, balls and smokes?  You wouldn't want your latest Ghost backup file(s) on that HD either.

I do use the HD to HD format for a Quickie backup which I do several times a week, but for a permanent Ghost Image I let Ghost burn the Image to a DVD and put my floppy info on the DVD making it bootable.  Now, THAT's A BACKUP!!!!

Ghost 2003, being designed to run from a floppy disk, won't even offer to take the boot info from a CD or other source, when you want to make a bootable DVD.  If the "Ghost.exe" file is not in its own Ghost folder on the A: drive, the process won't work.
Ghost will still write the data files to the DVD, but there will be NO boot info. included.

For bona fide Ghost owners, I will share a copy of my own Ghost boot disk with all the cleanup batch files, etc.
here's the Ansi Color Menu from my Ghost 2003 boot disk:

1.  Run Ghost to make a new image. (Windows XP Only)
       This program will delete all temp files, cookies, histories, etc.
       The Cleanup works only on a FAT-32 partition.

2.  Run Ghost
       This program runs Ghost alone, with NO cleanup being done.
       Use this version to do Ghost Restores or Ghost image without cleanup.
       You must use this option on any NTFS partition.

3.  Run Ghost on Windows 98 or ME (del the Swapfile and all temp's, etc.)

4.  Delete all Restore points (Windows XP. Works on FAT-32 partition only)

5.  Delete Windows "Pagefile" (Windows XP. Works on FAT-32 partitions only)

6.  Remove all the old Restore files in Windows ME.

(Revised 12-17-06)
  Type in a number at the DOS Prompt and press ENTER.

As you can see from this menu, this disk will run Ghost 2003 on any M$ OS from DOS to Windows XP.

By running a thorough cleanup on my HD before running Ghost, I save about 2 gigs of space in my Ghost Image files.
(having my HD's all in FAT-32 mode, makes all this possible.)

Good Luck and Happy New Year,
The Doctor  8)

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2006 at 1:56pm

DrWho2006 wrote on Dec 26th, 2006 at 1:37pm:
HP wrote a great little program that takes a boot floppy and copies it to a Flash Drive, making it bootable.
Is this program available on their website somewhere?

Quote:
Relying on running Ghost off'n a HD, is very iffy at best.
Absolutely.  I'll always have a regular Ghost boot floppy on hand if I need it, but since I don't currently have a USB flash drive running it off the HDD makes the most practical sense for me.  My case is somewhat older too and doesn't have any front mounted USB slots on it, so even if I did have a flash drive I'd have to crawl underneath the desk to plug it in the back.

Quote:
Ghost 2003, being designed to run from a floppy disk, won't even offer to take the boot info from a CD or other source, when you want to make a bootable DVD.
I thought the Ghost Boot Wizard offered to make bootable CD/DVDs?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print