Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windows Vista upgrades ? (Read 24405 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Windows Vista upgrades ?
Reply #15 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 9:56pm

Brian wrote on Dec 31st, 2006 at 4:59pm:
Frodo is in the process of testing whether his Ghost 9 plugin for BartPE works with Vista.

Good news for Ghost 9ers. Frodo has confirmed that you can create and restore images of Vista partitions using his plugin.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:41am

Dave_c, the CompletePC backup capability for home users will only be available in the “Ultimate” edition of Windows Vista.

Personally, I am waiting until about January, 2008 before using Vista in order to allow time for Microsoft and other software/hardware manufacturers to resolve the set of initial difficulties with the new operating system.

Brian, has Frodo abandoned efforts for a Ghost 10 plug-in?  If so, what was the hurdle that could not be overcome?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

dave_c
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BC

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 11:35am

Pleonasm wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:41am:

Personally, I am waiting until about January, 2008 before using Vista in order to allow time for Microsoft and other software/hardware manufacturers to resolve the set of initial difficulties with the new operating system.

Pleo... I can appreciate what your saying re: Vista
However, I did run the Vista  compatibility test, and the only hardware prob. I have is my HP scanner ( no big deal ) and the only software prob. was the Symantec stuff.
According to their upgrade page, they are working on it at this time, and the Site says they have some upgrades already. I checked and it looked like they were all for 2007 versions.
All of my versions are pre.

Just a thought, but does anyone know about the new MS security
suite that is available for trial now...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 2:11pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:41am:
Brian, has Frodo abandoned efforts for a Ghost 10 plug-in? 

Pleonasm, yes. I've been trying to get a quote from Frodo's post on the Ghosts but the 911CD forum has been out of action for a day.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 1:53pm

Pleonasm, Frodo did say the Ghost 10 plugin would never happen. Here's a quote on his affection for Ghost 10.

Quote:
look at the bloated mess that Ghost 10 and its newer (and pointless) derivatives became. they seemed to be trying to find the most awkward experience to put a user through to do the most mundane of tasks, ghost 10 was truly a user interface nightmare.

IP Logged

dave_c
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BC

Reply #20 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 2:47pm

I think I would agree with that quote above.
Although once you get used to it,  it works quite well. They certainly could have made it a little easier though...

IP Logged

dave_c
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BC

Reply #21 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 3:23pm

This might help...
Copied from Symantec Website....
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/themes/vista/index.jsp
Compatibility Updates
Products purchased under our service plans, such as Norton Anti virus 2006 and Norton Anti virus 2007, are eligible for Microsoft® Windows Vista™ compatibility update subject to production release of the Windows Vista operating system within the service period. Users will be informed via live update and within the website if compatibility updates are available.
Which Symantec products will be Windows Vista compatible?
A variety of Norton products will be compatible with the Windows Vista operating system. For our new products, look for the “Eligible for a free Windows™ Vista compatibility update” statement next to the Designed for Microsoft® Windows™ XP logo on the box or on our online product page. Symantec will release more information about compatibility and upgrades as the
Windows Vista availability date approaches.
Which Symantec products will require an update to be compatible with Windows Vista?
Unless Windows Vista compatibility is stated on the box or product page, all Norton products made available prior to the release Windows Vista will need to be updated to support the Windows Vista operating system.
How do I upgrade my Norton products to be compatible with Windows Vista?
Please check back here for additional product-specific and other information related to Windows Vista. We will be updating this site on a regular basis.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #22 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 12:07pm

Brian, I see that a BartPE plug-in for Ghost 10 isn’t forthcoming (Reply #19).  I was hoping that Frodo would have provided a technical summary of what was preventing the development of the plug-in (rather than a subjective “rant”) . . . .

If he isn’t aware of it, the COM interface for Ghost 10 might be of interest to Frodo.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print