Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windows Vista upgrades ? (Read 24407 times)
dave_c
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BC

Windows Vista upgrades ?
Dec 21st, 2006 at 1:49pm

I have just finished running the Win. Vista upgrade adviser, and have been told my copy of Ghost 10 is incompatible and will have to be uninstalled before the upgrade...

My copy of Partition Magic is also suspect, and may not work...

Trying to get information on Symantec's website, is like getting teeth from a hen...

Does anyone have any info. on this... ???

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Windows Vista upgrades ?
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 7:01pm

ghost 10 incompatible with vista?

i'm interested to hear what the ghost 9/10 gurus have to say.

can you re-install it after the upgrade?

any screenshots of this notice you can post?

i'd like to see for myself.

IP Logged

dave_c
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BC

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 9:54pm

Hi Rad... You can believe it, see the attached file,,, D
Can't figure how to attach a file !
So copied & pasted.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Program details:
Review these program issues for Windows Vista
Check the following table for program issues you should address to ensure they will work properly with Windows Vista.  Issue Type Program Vendor Version Data Source Action Required
  Norton Ghost 10.0  Symantec Corporation 10.0.0 Microsoft This program must be uninstalled before upgrading to Windows Vista. After upgrading, you will not be able to reinstall the program due to compatibility issues. For more information, go to the vendor's website. 
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9  Sun Microsystems, Inc. 1.5 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website. 
Norton PartitionMagic 8.0  Symantec 8.5 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website. 
Messenger  Microsoft Corporation 4.7.0.3001 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website. 

[email][/email][email][/email][email][/email][email][/email]

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 10:26am

Dave_c, have you asked Symantec about the compatibility of Ghost 10 with Windows Vista?  For a “live chat” with Symantec Technical Support, connect to:  http://live-symantec.custhelp.com

Note that Windows Vista Ultimate appears to include its own image backup utility, as described in this thread.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

dave_c
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BC

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 12:34pm

Pleonasm wrote on Dec 22nd, 2006 at 10:26am:
Dave_c, have you asked Symantec about the compatibility of Ghost 10 with Windows Vista?  For a “live chat” with Symantec Technical Support, connect to:  http://live-symantec.custhelp.com

Yes, I just finished chatting with them. As usual it was pretty much a waste of time. They obviously hadn't heard anything, and said the Symantec products weren't tested yet for Vista.
They even claimed Vista was still in Beta. I think we all know that it has been released to the manufacturer, and I think we have to believe the Upgrade Adviser. What do you think ?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 12:48pm

Dave_C, Microsoft still lists a retail release date of January 30, 2007 for Windows Vista on its website, so it is quite possible that Symantec is waiting before making available a version of Ghost that will work in conjunction with Vista.  Note that Symantec doesn't list Vista as a supported operating system for any of its PC products at this time.  Clearly, Symantec isn't going to abandon the Windows Vista marketplace, so I wouldn't be too concerned that there will not be a version of Ghost that works with Vista.

If the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor says that Ghost 10 isn't compatible, then I would assume that the assessment is correct.

IP Logged

dave_c
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BC

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 12:55pm

Pleonasm wrote on Dec 22nd, 2006 at 12:48pm:
Dave_C, Clearly, Symantec isn't going to abandon the Windows Vista marketplace, so I wouldn't be too concerned that there will not be a version of Ghost that works with Vista.

If the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor says that Ghost 10 isn't compatible, then I would assume that the assessment is correct.

Pleonasm... Thanks for that, I would certainly agree with everything you have said... D  Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 1:22am

dave, thx for posting the contents of that file.

pleo is the man when it comes to this type of stuff.

IP Logged

dave_c
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BC

Reply #8 - Dec 26th, 2006 at 11:53am

Here is the latest on the Symantec thing, regarding the Compatibility with Vista. Just got a reply from them...
----------------------------------------------
Dave, please note that Norton Ghost 10.0 is not compatible with Windows Vista Operating system. Symantec does not recommend to install it on a system with that configuration . Please be aware that we are not responsible for any issue if you are using Norton ghost 10.0 on such systems.
. This issue has been reported to Symantec Development, but currently we have not been able to reproduce this issue.
   We will continue our efforts in tracking this issue, and will update the Symantec Online Knowledge Base to include new updates.
  Please follow the document provided below for further information.

Title: 'Windows Vista Beta compatibility with Norton Products'
Document ID: 2006062012031913
> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2006062012031913?Open&...

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2006 at 3:52pm

In looking at the Symantec website, it appears that only Norton Confidential, Norton Internet Security 2007, Norton AntiVirus 2007, and Norton 360 are in a Windows Vista "beta" state.  From this fact I infer that the other Norton products (e.g., Ghost 10) are unlikely to be offered for Windows Vista when it is released.  Presumably, these prdoucts will be coming at a later date.

IP Logged

dave_c
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BC

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2006 at 5:32pm

Pleonasm wrote on Dec 27th, 2006 at 3:52pm:
In looking at the Symantec website,   Presumably, these prdoucts will be coming at a later date.

That's how I read it too Pleo.
However, I think there's a pretty good back-up program coming in Vista. If it's as good as it sounds, there may be no need of Ghost 10.
I do think that Symantec will produce though...
Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 4:59pm

dave_c wrote on Dec 27th, 2006 at 5:32pm:
I think there's a pretty good back-up program coming in Vista. If it's as good as it sounds, there may be no need of Ghost 10.

dave_c,

I haven't tried Vista but in its Newsgroup a few people stated that the imaging app in Vista could only do whole disk images and not partition images. We will know if this is true shortly.

Frodo is in the process of testing whether his Ghost 9 plugin for BartPE works with Vista.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 1:48pm

Brian, this presentation by Microsoft will be of interest.

Note that "A CompletePC backup is a complete backup copy of your disks" (disks = plural, see Slide #15), suggesting that it encompasses all partitions on the drive.  A restore, however, can be limited to only the system partition (excluding data partitions), if the user so chooses (see Slide #18 ).

IP Logged

dave_c
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

BC

Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 3:32pm

Thanks Pleo, That was very informative indeed.
As I understand it, certain parts of the back-up will only be available in certain versions of Vista. With the basic version having little,
and the complete back-up only being in the Business version on up.

It all sounds very confusing at the moment, but am I correct in assuming you can get by without Ghost ?

I have a new Media Centre PC and as such, qualify for a Vista Premium Upgrade...
Do you think there will be sufficient back-up in this version ?   Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 4:03pm

Thanks as well, Pleo. That was informative. I don't like whole disk images but I know many here prefer these images. I'd expect non tech users to buy the cheaper versions of Vista which won't have imaging backup.

No news from Frodo yet.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print