HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 8.0 (Read 8892 times)
rgearyiii
Ex Member

Ghost 8.0
Dec 22nd, 2006 at 8:33am

I've been using Ghost for about 7 years with Windows and recently got interested in openSUSE Linux.  Naturally, the first thing I'm going to want to do after installing it is Ghost it.  According to

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999021909463125?Open&src=&...

I'm going to need "Ghost 8.x", especially if I want GRUB to work.  Where do I get version 8?  The only Ghost versions I see on ebay are 9 and 10, and I don't want to pay for the latest bloated version: I just want to be able to ghost Linux from a DOS partition.

The version I've been using for the last few years is Ghost 2003

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 8.0
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 9:15am

rgearyiii

Quote:
I'm going to need "Ghost 8.x", especially if I want GRUB to work.  Where do I get version 8?

Ghost 8.xx is the *Corporate* version of Ghost--so it will not be available as a *retail* version--has to come from a Corporate licensed copy.  I don't know the restrictions on an individual purchasing a Corporate version, but probably is available if you pay the price!

This FAQ seems to indicate that it's a simple matter to re-establish the GRUB boot loader after cloning:

Cannot start Linux with GRUB boot loader after restoring an image of a disk or partition

Ghost 8.xx is still supported by Symantec, but no longer is available for purchase--I think their current version is called *Live State Recovery* or something to that effect!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

rgearyiii
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 9:36am

What made me realize I need a different version of Ghost is that I created an image of my ext3 partition containing openSUSE using Ghost 2003, only to discover after restoring it that the image is no good.  I was able get GRUB working using the instructions you cited, but that was the least of the problems.  For one thing, Ghost restores the partition as ext2 instead of ext3.  When I try to boot up from the partition, I get pages of error reports (I'm new to Linux and don't know what most of it means yet).  It doesn't load the Gnome desktop that it automatically loaded before cloning, nor does xstart work.

I just noticed that at

http://ghost.radified.com/

under "good news" it says the latest Norton Save & Restore comes with Ghost 8.2--is that the same corporate version you're referring to?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 10:07am

rgearyiii

Quote:
under "good news" it says the latest Norton Save & Restore comes with Ghost 8.2--is that the same corporate version you're referring to?

That is the 32-bit version of Ghost 8.2 (aka Ghost32 v8.2)--which means it's been reconfigured so it runs only under a Windows OS, either a full OS version or the WinPE (Pre-installation Environment) used by Symantec's Recovery Disk--other than that--Yes, it's the same corporate version of Ghost.

The program referred to is also found in the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment.  

And there is also a version of it on the Ghost 9 Recovery Disk--but it is *crippled* in that it will only allow the restoring of a pre-existing Ghost image--and does not allow for creating an image, or cloning HDD's.

If you ran that version of Ghost by booting from the Norton Save & Restore installation CD to the Symantec Recovery Environment, with your two HDD's hooked up on that system, you should be able to do a *disk-to-disk* clone--but whether that will solve the issues you're having, I have no personal experience!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 4:37pm

@ Night Owl
In Norton save and restore directory in program files I can not find the ghost32.exe  it looks like they have changed the name,
can you tell us what is the new name ??
thanks

regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 6:16pm

ben_mott wrote on Jan 11th, 2007 at 4:37pm:
"... In Norton save and restore directory in program files I can not find the ghost32.exe...  it looks like they have changed the name, can you tell us what is the new name ??..."

D:\I386\SHELL\GHOST\RESTOREGHOST.EXE aka GHOST32.EXE

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 1:04pm

@El_Pescador
thanks for taking time and answering , my copy was trial version
download and as you said I had a good look around for that above mentioned file but to no avail, I have now taken it off the HDD
as it had only 2 weeks time stamp on it any way.
after I took it off from add remove progs it gave me a bit of hastle as now I can not mount WINPE2 (VistaPE) in windows explorer (XPsp2).
it crashes windows explorer each time i try to open MOUNT folder.
so It limits me to work on the command line , which is ok .
any way thanks again
regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 1:12pm

@rgearyiii
have you tried Googling for it
ghost.exe 75
on the 5th or 6th page of google there is a chinise or japanese or Korean person(god knows what Language is it???) who has ghost.exe 7.5 and ghost.exe 8
for down load  and the 7.5 one is small enough to go on a floppy660KB
regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print