Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best Anti-Virus Programs? (Read 13350 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Best Anti-Virus Programs?
Dec 23rd, 2006 at 8:53am

To all

I stumbled across this website last week--I'm not sure exactly how I feel about their results--I'm going to test some of their online scans, and continue to read and evaluate their information.

I did not know there were so many *anti-virus* programs out there!

www.virus.gr--Antivirus programs and guides, virus information, free virus removals.

Comparative tests of antivirus programs

I currently use Norton's anti-virus program--it did not fair too well in the test result rankings!  In the test, it was last years program, Norton Anti-virus 2006, and there is now a new version out--2007--so I don't know how that version will compare when tests are performed in the future--but interesting results and comparisons.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Best Anti-Virus Programs?
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2006 at 11:46am

The good news is that the anti-virus war has essentially been won.  As long as one of the top-rated products is being employed properly (i.e., configured well and updated frequently) and other associated security practices are followed (e.g., keeping Windows and other applications updated), a successful virus attack should be highly unlikely.

Every review of the anti-spyware tools results in a different ranking, probably due to different methodologies and the specific set of threats to which the tool is exposed in the test.  (For those with training in statistics and an understanding of sampling distributions, this is to be completely expected.)  On balance, however, the top-rated anti-virus products generally remain in the top tier, although the ordinal sequence will vary.

The new frontier is spyware.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2006 at 12:09pm

By the way, NightOwl, since Symantec has moved to a subscription model for program updates and upgrades, there really isn't any reason for you to be using Norton AntiVirus 2006 rather than the 2007 edition.

Assuming that your subscription is current, my understanding is that you can simply download and install the trial version of Norton AntiVirus 2007 from the Symantec website and then enter your existing product key to perform the free upgrade.  The end-date of your subscription should remain unchanged, but you'll have the 2007 edition installed on a permanent (not trial) basis.

P.S.:  Best wishes to all in this holiday season!

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 3:18pm

Anti-virus is worth paying for, but Norton and nod32 can be expensive.  For someone looking for a great freeware anti-virus, I highly recommend BitDefender.  It always seems to fair well in those tests, and runs much better than the popular AVG.

Unfortunatly, I can't personally attest to its effectiveness.  I haven't used an anti-virus or anti-spyware program since I switched to Linux.

On a realted note, I do use a hardware firewall.  It is built on OpenBSD using PF.  Much cheaper than those firewalls you buy at retail stores and its the best protection you can get.  In fact, I think I just decided to write a guide on how to set up an OpenBSD firewall (although the online documentation is very good if you are interested now.)

IP Logged

Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 5:16pm

Hello there,

Personally speaking, apart from Ghost 2003 Symantec has yet to produce an effective, versatile product.

As far as Antivirus is concerned while on Linux to me there isn’t any need…….as for windows Oss I found AVG 7.5 very nice. It’s a freeware & pretty effective with most features.

One anti virus that really fascinated me is Kaspersky anti virus version 6.0…..it has a very fast engine, very versatile plus protecting against spy wares & key loggers.

I used to protect my windows Oss with a combo of AVG, Spybot & Ad-Aware SE Pro.

It’s interesting that Kaspersky 6.0 & Spybot 1.4 cannot coexist if the Proactive Defense is enabled.

Now I either don’t use Spybot or disable Proactive defense in Kaspersky.

I rate Kaspersky AV 6.0 as very high, cause of its multifaceted features, regular updates & an extremely fast engine.

Regards!

Have a great X mas eve.........

Ivanov.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2006 at 3:55pm

NightOwl, did you notice Reply #3?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2006 at 11:51pm

Pleonasm

Quote:
NightOwl, did you notice Reply #3?

Yes!

Quote:
there really isn't any reason for you to be using Norton AntiVirus 2006 rather than the 2007 edition

Except...did I mention that I'm still using Norton AV 2003   Cheesy !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2006 at 8:41am

NightOwl, with Symantec's new subscription model, a user may receive both product updates and upgrades for the duration of the subscription.  Thus, I believe that as long as you have an active subscription for Norton AntiVirus, you are entitled to a free upgrade to the most recent edition (using the procedure described in Reply #3).  You may wish to check with Symantec to verify this information.

Do have Norton Connect installed on your PC?  Symantec has been making this available through LiveUpdate to customers such as yourself:  those who have an older product edition who are able to get the most recent edition.  The tool performs the product upgrade and manages the product key and subscription information.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2006 at 9:02am

Pleonasm

Quote:
Do have Norton Connect installed on your PC?  Symantec has been making this available through LiveUpdate to customers such as yourself

Norton Connect has never been offered by the Live Update process--my current subscription lasts through Feb., 2007--so the *new* subscription model you are referring to must only apply to more recent product versions!

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2006 at 9:09am

NightOwl, I wouldn't necessarily conclude that the absence of Norton Connect on your PC implies that you are not eligible for an upgrade to the 2007 edition of Norton AntiVirus.  Symantec has been gradually making Norton Connect available.

If you're interested in getting Norton AntiVirus 2007, I would check with Symantec for the "rules & regulations" – but, I really do think you can get it for free.

If you're not interested, is there a reason why you want to stay with the 2003 edition of Norton AntiVirus?  Just curious.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2006 at 11:24pm

Pleonasm

Quote:
is there a reason why you want to stay with the 2003 edition of Norton AntiVirus?

I purchased a quantity of Norton SystemWorks 2003 at a very inexpensive price when the program was no longer the newest and greatest version--much less than the annual antivirus subscription renewal price--each time I install a new copy after removing the old one, I'm get another year's subscription for about $5.00.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 2:37pm

update manually use intelligent updater
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

The i32 Intelligent Updater package
Supports the following versions of Symantec antivirus software:

Norton AntiVirus 2003 Professional Edition
     Norton AntiVirus 2003 for Windows 98/Me/2000/XP Home/XP Pro
     Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional Edition
     Norton AntiVirus 2004 for Windows 98/Me/2000/XP Home/XP Pro
     Norton AntiVirus 2005 for Windows 98/Me/2000/XP Home/XP Pro
     Norton AntiVirus 2006 for Windows 2000/XP Home/XP Pro
     Norton AntiVirus 2007 for Windows XP Home/XP Pro

although in your case the $5 1 year SUBscription  is well worth the hassel of searching and down loading etc.

I personally useAVG 7.5 Free edition and
AVpersonal on another PC
as it ihas got BART PE plug in  which updates from Bart's Cd
very clever young man that Bart .
Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print