Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does Ghost 9 have anthing to do with this problem? (Read 19363 times)
Help_Seeker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Does Ghost 9 have anthing to do with this problem?
Dec 23rd, 2006 at 5:22pm

Hello all,

I'm having serious problems getting XP Pro working from Ghost v9 backup images.  I've started the thread in the following url http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=23145 at an XP related forum but I fear we're running out of options there.  If you would be kind enough to read my most recent post there on page 7 (dated today 12/23/06) it will fill you in on some of what's been done, and though it would be better to read it from the start I realize that's a lot to ask.

The problem is basically this.... After several successful reboots into XP, XP will load its boot screen (the one with the blue progress bar) and the progress bar never stops running.  I can't get to the logon screen, cannot boot into safe mode, nor boot using any of the other options in XP's advanced boot menu (last known good config, etc).  My only way to get XP running again is to perform another Ghost restore of the D partition (where XP's OS files are located), then run it until XP craps out again.  I must have done that 30 or 40 times already, this has been going on since the 1st week of November.

The reason for restoring Ghost images is that the hard disk went bad.  The machine was working perfectly up to that point for well over a year.  The ONLY thing that changed in the machine's configuration was the replacement of the bad 40gb disk with a new 200gb disk.  And yes, the Promise Ultra100 controller does have the latest BIOS and driver updates that support drives over 137gb.

I am so frustrated and tired of typing about this that I don't know where to start here.  In fact it may not even be a Ghost related problem but there are indications it could be, and I know of no better place to turn for Ghost advice than here.  I'd dread the thought of repeating all the details I posted in that thread, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could review the details there and then post back here with some questions or advice.

Thanks

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Does Ghost 9 have anthing todo with this probl
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2006 at 6:10pm

I read through your other thread.  I'm not sure what the answer is but here are some of the factors that may have gotten you to where you are now:

1. I assume your 200gb drive was a new blank unformatted drive.  Correct?  Ghost 9 does not have a "copy the entire disk" option, as you probably know.  It looks like you booted from the Ghost 9 CD, and then restored each partition, one at a time.  Correct?  Did you copy them onto the 200gb drive in the SAME physical order as they existed originally?

2. I noticed that on your Disk Managment screen shot that the "Boot Partition" is D (WXP) and not C (WXPBOOT).  That needs some research.  Looks like it is booting directly to xp, and not your boot manager.

Your problems are likely a combination of the new drive not being same partition layout as the old drive, and drive letter confusions.  You are probably always going to have problems because of the boot manager and the fact that xp is not c: drive.

Now that XP has seen the new 200gb drive, it has included drive info in the MountedDevices registry entries.  That is also contributing to the issue now.

Have you ever booted with the 49 gb drive, and had the 200gb drive also connected or assigned drive letter?  That will cause the 49gb xp system to get confused.

Because of these two critical items (boot manager and xp not c: drive), you must be certain your target 200gb is created EXACTLY in the same physical layout as your original.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Does Ghost 9 have anthing to do with this prob
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2006 at 6:34pm

I just discovered you had 7 pages of posts in your reference thread on AumHa forums.

Originally I just read the one page you mentioned.  So I probably don't understand the full history of what you have done or tried.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2006 at 8:03pm

Is there some reason you have the Promise IDE drive controller?  I'm assuming it must be an older pc or one that doesn't support hard drives larger than 137 gb?

Have you tried removing the Promise controller, connecting the 200gb Seagate drive directly to the motherboard, formatting it, and installing XP from scratch from your slip streamed cd?  See how that works for awhile.  Then reinstall your software. 

In the long run you'll have a simpler stable standard configuration.  Use the XP compatability settings to run any older programs under XP.  Windows 98 is 8+ years old now, and not even supported.

Sorry, but this is probably not the answer you wanted, but that is what I would do myself if I had this problem.  Between the boot manager, Promise card, non-standard boot drive, and partition fiddling, you're in a "high risk" environment.

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2006 at 8:59pm

I had the same exact results using a Promise Ultra 100 contoller. I upgraded the BIOS the same as you did because the Promise website said the new BIOS would support drives larger than 137 GB. They lied!!!!!! After a number of times having Windows wiped out, I upgraded the card to the Ultra 133. Problem solved. This has nothing top do with Ghost. The Promise card is to blame.

IP Logged

Help_Seeker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Does Ghost 9 have anthing todo with this probl
Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 10:21am

John. wrote on Dec 23rd, 2006 at 6:10pm:
I read through your other thread.  I'm not sure what the answer is but here are some of the factors that may have gotten you to where you are now:

1. I assume your 200gb drive was a new blank unformatted drive.  Correct?  Ghost 9 does not have a "copy the entire disk" option, as you probably know.  It looks like you booted from the Ghost 9 CD, and then restored each partition, one at a time.  Correct?  Did you copy them onto the 200gb drive in the SAME physical order as they existed originally?

2. I noticed that on your Disk Managment screen shot that the "Boot Partition" is D (WXP) and not C (WXPBOOT).  That needs some research.  Looks like it is booting directly to xp, and not your boot manager.

Ghost4me,

Thank you so much for taking the time to familiarize yourself with my problem.  To answer your questions....

1-Correct, the 200gb was new and unformatted.  Correct, I booted from the Ghost 9 CD and performed the restores, one partition at a time.  Yes, they were restored in the EXACT SAME physical order they appeared on the original disk.

2-The names MS uses in XP's Disk Management are kind of counter intuitive, and can be misleading.  That is, they use the term "System" for the partition XP boots from, and the term "Boot" for the partition that holds the XP operating system files.  I've used the name WXPBOOT for the partition XP boots from, and the name WXP for the partition where XP's OS files are located.  My system does boot to my boot manager, and when I select XP the boot manager makes WXPBOOT the active primary partition it boots from (which becomes drive C:).  Then from the boot.ini file found in the WXPBOOT partition, XP is able to find the OS files located at D:\WXP, and then boots the OS.

Quote:
Your problems are likely a combination of the new drive not being same partition layout as the old drive, and drive letter confusions.  You are probably always going to have problems because of the boot manager and the fact that xp is not c: drive.

It is the same layout as the old drive.  If the partitions were out of order I wouldn't be able to boot into XP at all, yet I'm able to successfully boot into XP several times before the problem starts.  Usually 3 to 6 times, but I've had as many as 26 successful boots before the blue progress bar starts looping.

Quote:
Now that XP has seen the new 200gb drive, it has included drive info in the MountedDevices registry entries.  That is also contributing to the issue now.

I have tried deleting those registry entries and letting XP repopulate them on the next boot, which it did.  Quite often I'll get several more successful boots from XP before it finally craps out.  I've done it both ways, with and without deleting the entries, it seems to make no difference.

Quote:
Have you ever booted with the 49 gb drive, and had the 200gb drive also connected or assigned drive letter?  That will cause the 49gb xp system to get confused.

I have never had the 40gb and the 200gb disks in the machine at the same time.  Once the 40gb disk started acting up and XP reported disk events in Event Viewer it was immediately removed and replaced with the 200gb disk.  At that point I restored Ghost backup images from a 3rd hard disk, a 120gb disk I use with a removable drive bay enclosure for backups only.  Once backups are restored I remove the removable hard disk.

Quote:
Because of these two critical items (boot manager and xp not c: drive), you must be certain your target 200gb is created EXACTLY in the same physical layout as your original.

Yes, I am absolutely certain that the target 200gb was created EXACTLY in the same physical layout as the original disk.  It wasn't easy with Ghost though, because Ghost doesn't list backups in the order they appear on the original disk.  It lists them alphabetically, so one has to know the layout beforehand.

Quote:
I just discovered you had 7 pages of posts in your reference thread on AumHa forums.

Originally I just read the one page you mentioned.  So I probably don't understand the full history of what you have done or tried.

Yes, the last page I referenced is kind of where I'm at now.  The history leading up to that point contains the bulk of troubleshooting attempts, and there are many.  I realize it is a lot of reading, unfortunately:-(

Quote:
Is there some reason you have the Promise IDE drive controller?  I'm assuming it must be an older pc or one that doesn't support hard drives larger than 137 gb?

Yes, it's an older pc.  My motherboard natively supports ATA 33, I have the Promise controller mainly because it supports ATA 100 transfer rate.  I've had hard disks in and out of this machine before and never had a problem, but they were all under 137gb.  Also, about a year ago I restored an image of the same WXP partition without a problem, but it was restored to the same 40gb disk the image was taken from.  The machine has never seen a disk larger than 137gb until now.

Quote:
Have you tried removing the Promise controller, connecting the 200gb Seagate drive directly to the motherboard, formatting it, and installing XP from scratch from your slip streamed cd?  See how that works for awhile.  Then reinstall your software.

Well, the reason I'm restoring from Ghost backup images is to avoid installing XP from scratch.  I have too much time invested in this XP setup.  I have another machine almost identical to this one, both are networked, and each were carefully configured to work with the other.  Your idea, however, is worthy of note in that it would isolate the controller.  I'll have to think about using it, perhaps as a troubleshooting technique as opposed to a final solution.

Quote:
In the long run you'll have a simpler stable standard configuration.  Use the XP compatability settings to run any older programs under XP.  Windows 98 is 8+ years old now, and not even supported.

I don't have any older programs, but I do have an old printer that HP never bothered to support when XP was released.  That's mainly why I keep W98.  There are no HP drivers/utilities that allow me to maintain the printer with XP, such as cleaning & aligning print heads, etc.  HP did recommend using a driver for another printer in XP, it works but is very limited.

Also keep in mind that W98 always works, even when XP fails.

Quote:
Sorry, but this is probably not the answer you wanted, but that is what I would do myself if I had this problem.  Between the boot manager, Promise card, non-standard boot drive, and partition fiddling, you're in a "high risk" environment.

Perhaps.  I certainly appreciate your suggestions.  However, I don't believe the boot drive issue is as non-standard as you may think.  More complicated, yes, but not unusual in many circles to have an NT based OS boot from a tiny partition at the front of one disk but load it's OS files from another disk or drive.

IP Logged

Help_Seeker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 10:23am

mustang wrote on Dec 23rd, 2006 at 8:59pm:
I had the same exact results using a Promise Ultra 100 contoller. I upgraded the BIOS the same as you did because the Promise website said the new BIOS would support drives larger than 137 GB. They lied!!!!!! After a number of times having Windows wiped out, I upgraded the card to the Ultra 133. Problem solved. This has nothing top do with Ghost. The Promise card is to blame.

Mustang,
Thank you for your reply.  Please tell me more about the results you had.  What symptoms led you to believe Windows was wiped out?  Was it an endlessly looping blue progress bar on the XP boot screen that never allowed the XP logon screen to appear?

When your machine was booting, did the Promise 100 BIOS display the correct size of the large disk?

In addition to upgrading the new BIOS on the Promise Ultra100 card, did you also update to the new Windows driver supplied by Promise?  Both the new BIOS and the new drivers must be present for large drive support in Windows.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 11:41am

Help_Seeker

Quote:
Yes, it's an older pc.  My motherboard natively supports ATA 33, I have the Promise controller mainly because it supports ATA 100 transfer rate.  I've had hard disks in and out of this machine before and never had a problem, but they were all under 137gb.  Also, about a year ago I restored an image of the same WXP partition without a problem, but it was restored to the same 40gb disk the image was taken from.  
The machine has never seen a disk larger than 137gb until now.

I think I would take that as a very strong indication of where the problem lies!  Even though add-on hardware *says* it's compatible or solves a 137 MB HDD limitation--there are so many systems out there with unique configurations and BIOS capabilities--there's just no way hardware, or software for that matter, can be made to function successfully with all those combinations--unless the maker is made aware of the problem(s), and their engineers solve the issue(s).

The simple experiment to confirm this is to put say a 120 GB HDD on the system, and see if the problem still re-occurs!  Alternatively, get a different controller card and see if that helps.

I have a system that is happy to allow two IDE optical drives to be installed--but, if I attempt to install a third IDE optical drive, I get all sorts of aberrant behavior and error messages--for whatever reason, the BIOS will not allow more than two IDE optical drives!  I have a second system where I have three optical drives installed with no problems at all.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 12:46pm

Help_Seeker,

Thanks for your detailed reply.  It's evident from this and the AumHA forum, you've tried a lot.

Quote:
I have never had the 40gb and the 200gb disks in the machine at the same time.  Once the 40gb disk started acting up and XP reported disk events in Event Viewer it was immediately removed and replaced with the 200gb disk.  At that point I restored Ghost backup images from a 3rd hard disk, a 120gb disk I use with a removable drive bay enclosure for backups only.  Once backups are restored I remove the removable hard disk.

I'm glad to see that XP was never booted with both disks in the PC at the same time; that can cause gradual corruption.

NightOwl and Mustang both gave excellent tips.  The reason I also mentioned removing the Promise IDE card was to eliminate it as a possibility.  You can probably change one of the Seagate jumpers to restrict the drive size to less than 137 gb if you want to test that.

Just the fact that Promise card is seeing a newer technology hard drive, and especially one that is faster and has different timing for i/o to and from your motherboard to the drive, could explain that theory.  Wonder how cheap a newer 133 Promise card would be?  Probably not very costly.

Glad to see you have a good save Ghost image backup(s).  If/when you try again, I would avoid manipulating the partitions with Partition Magic until much later, like after it is working for several weeks.  You don't want to introduce another variable.

As an aside, what model HP printer do you have and what are you trying to print with it?  You should be able to get that to work under XP.

Finally, I would be careful about trying an XP repair install on your 200gb system.  I haven't ever heard of anyone that has a d: system drive doing that.  I'm worried that the repair install may set xp back to c: which you don't want.  (I could be wrong on this point, but just be careful).

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 12:56pm

Help_Seeker, this forum has never seen a case in which a successfully restored Ghost 9/Ghost 10 image has failed to run properly due a problem with Ghost, to the best of my recollection.  Hopefully, you won't be the first!  The recommendations of Ghost4me, NightOwl and Mustang are all worthy of pursuit and trial.

Please do post the results of your continued efforts.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Dec 24th, 2006 at 3:52pm

Hey man, get that controller upgraded to the 133 or stay with a 120 GB hard drive. No kidding!!!!!! You're wasting alot of people's time here, not to mention your own.

I had a great deal of experience with these cards years ago.  On a good motherboard they were great. They used to double the speed of the hards drives on older systems like your's. You could actally see this running Ghost from DOS. On a not so good motherboard, they would cause Windows to become unstable. You would get a BSOD usually in the first 10 min. of use. Remove the card and the system would be stable. Not so hard to understand when you consider the HDD speed running through the PCI bus was doubled.

I had your problem on a customer's computer I had built. It was a good Asus motherboard and ran very stable with the Ultra 100 card and 120 GB drives. I updated both the BIOS and the drivers of the 100 card. Replacing the drives with 200 GB drives resulted in your exact symptoms. He would get a day or two of use and then Windows wouldn't boot. Sound familiar? Examining the disk showed large blocks of files were missing. This guy talked to another guy that told him the Promise card might be the problem. I insisted it was not the problem and showed him the Promise website. Sound familiar? Finally, I tried replacing the card with an Ultra 133 just to prove this other guy wrong. Well, didn't I look bad when it solved the problem!

A quick look at Price Watch shows the 133 is available for $53. To replace the card follow this procedure:

1. Leave the drives connected to the Ultra 100 card. Put the Ultra 133 card into an empty PCI slot.

2. Boot into Windows and install the driver for the 133 card when you see the New Hardware Wizard.

3. Shut down, remove the 100 card and connect the drives to the 133 card. (You can switch the 133 card to the slot the 100 was in if you like.)

4. Boot up and hope Windows likes the new card. It always worked for me.

I'm not trying to be hard on you. As you might be able to tell, I'm still fuming mad at Promise all these years later.

Good luck

IP Logged

Help_Seeker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Dec 25th, 2006 at 11:02am

Thank you all, and Merry Christmas!Smiley  Right now I'm caught up in holiday season festivities and should find more time to respond to your replies later in the week.

I have considered your suggestions and chosen the following troubleshooting path....

-Try a smaller disk
-If that works I will consider using the larger disk capacity but replace the Promise controller

To start off I am taking Ghost4Me's suggestion to use the capacity limiting jumper on the 200gb disk.  I am doing this for two reasons.  First, because it doesn't cost anything.  And second, because Mustang suggested that my problem will be resolved if I either replace the controller or use a smaller disk.  I have already performed a low level format on the disk, installed the jumper, and restored all the partitions from Ghost backups.  The disk reports a capacity of 32gb now that the jumper is being used.  I have one question about this....

Is using the jumper guaranteed to emulate a smaller disk?  That is, is there any chance that the problem will not be resolved using the jumper, but would be resolved using another physical disk with a real maximum capacity of 32gb?

I also have a repeat question for Mustang.  As you booted from the 200gb disk using the Promise Ultra100 card, did the Promise BIOS report the disk's full size?

One last question for those of you who have restored your system and XP OS from Ghost backup images, and did so to a different hard disk.  This is about the blue progress bar on the XP boot screen, the screen that appears just before the logon screen.  After the restoration, have you ever noticed the blue worm making fewer passes through the progress bar than it did before?

I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question, but after living with this problem for so long that is one thing that all the failed restorations had in common.  And knowing it was normal behavior would sure put my mind at ease during the next 40 or 50 test boots.  Although I do not recall exactly how many passes it made before the disk failed, I do know it was more than one, and my other machine typically sees 5 to 7 passes.  The problem restorations, however, often never complete a single pass on boots where I do get the logon screen, of course when XP craps out I never get to the logon screen and the progress bar just keeps looping forever.  On this most recent restore, the worm gets about 3/4 way through the progress bar.  Normal or Not Normal?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Dec 25th, 2006 at 12:00pm

Quote:
The disk reports a capacity of 32gb now that the jumper is being used.  I have one question about this....
Is using the jumper guaranteed to emulate a smaller disk?  That is, is there any chance that the problem will not be resolved using the jumper, but would be resolved using another physical disk with a real maximum capacity of 32gb?

I'm surprised that changing the jumper setting resulted in 32gb size.  I would have thought it would give you 120gb.

Are your sure your bios is set to auto detect or lba?  Maybe your pc bios for the hard drive has been manually set wrong.

Quote:
Is using the jumper guaranteed to emulate a smaller disk?  That is, is there any chance that the problem will not be resolved using the jumper, but would be resolved using another physical disk with a real maximum capacity of 32gb?

One thing to consider is that your newer Seagate contains an 8 mb or 16 mb buffer.  This is to improve throughput and response time.  I'm guessing that under heavier i/o loading is when the Promise card fails.  Maybe explains why it works for awhile.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #13 - Dec 25th, 2006 at 12:10pm

Ghost4me

Quote:
I'm surprised that changing the jumper setting resulted in 32gb size.  I would have thought it would give you 120gb.

I can't speak to other brands, as I have only used Seagate HDD recently--but all of them from 40 GB through 160 GB's--the only size you can limit it to has been that *old* standard that goes back to the 32 GB HDD limit!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Help_Seeker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 4:46am

Quote:
I think I would take that as a very strong indication of where the problem lies!  Even though add-on hardware *says* its compatible or solves a 137 MB HDD limitation--there are so many systems out there with unique configurations and BIOS capabilities--there's just no way hardware, or software for that matter, can be made to function successfully with all those combinations--unless the maker is made aware of the problem(s), and their engineers solve the issue(s).

The simple experiment to confirm this is to put say a 120 GB HDD on the system, and see if the problem still re-occurs!  Alternatively, get a different controller card and see if that helps.

NightOwl,

Yes, I totally agree.  It's too strong of an indicator to ignore.  However, I'm not just going on what the hardware *says*.  The following 3rd party utilities independently confirm it.  XP's Disk Mgmt reports all partitions as healthy, Partition Magic's utilities report no errors, Ghost's partition info utility reports no errors, and they all report the correct partition sizes.  As well, Seagate's diagnostics found nothing wrong, and it checks the motherboard, controller and disk partitions.  In fact, my thinking is as yours in that I already considered getting a smaller disk.  Already knowing the jumpered limit is only 32gb I thought I'd try using Seagate's "set disk size" utility to downsize the disk's capacity instead.  When I tried using it this was the message I got.....
"This command cannot be executed and is not necessary for this drive since it is attached to an additional controller".

In my last post I was hoping that 40 to 50 reboots would signal the end of my problem.  Unfortunately, when I got to the 5th reboot the problem started again:-(  Downsizing the 200gb to its jumpered 32gb size did not work.

I was curious, however, about what the XP OS might see with the jumpered 200gb.  Since nobody here could say whether using the jumper is guaranteed to emulate a 32gb physical disk, I ran Everest Home edition to see what it would report about it, and then compared the results to my other machine, which does have a physical (non-jumpered) 40gb disk.  Although Everest did report the disk's size as 32gb, it also reported that it DOES support 48-bit addressing and such; whereas the other machine reports that its 40gb disk does NOT support it.  In other words, aside from the reported size, it appears that the jumpered disk is still reporting its 200gb features.

Although I don't know a lot about those matters, it nags at me that a 32gb disk would report support for 48-bit addressing, if in fact 48-bit support isn't needed for disks under 137gb.  Anyway, there appears to be something unknown occurring now, that didn't occur before when XP (and the controller) was working fine with a physically smaller disk.  It's looking more and more like my next move would be to replace the disk, and after reading Ghost4Me's comments I think it would be prudent to limit its cache buffer to 2 mb to match the old disk.  I can get a Seagate 40gb w/2mb cache but am wondering if I should switch brands as well as sizes.  You have experience using Seagate disks, what do you think?

As an aside....
Prior to limiting the disk's capacity to 32gb, Ghost originally had a problem seeing the disk's full 200gb size.  I wasted a lot of time making more than a dozen restorations without a peep from Ghost - no alerts, no messages, nothing.  Then finally, on the next restore, in Ghost's "select a destination" dialog I noticed as I went to choose the first partition's destination that Ghost was offering me only 128gb of unallocated space on disk1.  It should have been 186.  Before that I was just choosing unallocated space on disk1 without actually making note of "how much" space Ghost was reporting in that dialog.  But that stopped when I started loading the updated Promise driver when booting Ghost from the CD.  After that it showed 186gb, the same size reported by the Promise BIOS at boot time.

Although Ghost9 says it supports the Ultra driver, apparently the version of the Ultra driver contained on the CD predates the driver that supports drives larger than 137gb.  I'm surprised Ghost wasn't smart enough to see it was loading its own Ultra 100 (non 48-bit driver) version for use with a large disk requiring the 48-bit driver.  In hindsight it seems Ghost doesn't look at the disk directly to evaluate its capacity, but rather looks at what its own outdated controller driver reports.  An alert would have been most helpful in that regard.  But even when I force Ghost to load the correct updated Ultra driver it complains about it, says I don't need to do it, and insists it already has the needed drivers.  It was this sort of behavior that prompted me to post here, to see what other quirks Ghost might have that I'm not aware of.

Quote:
I have a system that is happy to allow two IDE optical drives to be installed--but, if I attempt to install a third IDE optical drive, I get all sorts of aberrant behavior and error messages--for whatever reason, the BIOS will not allow more than two IDE optical drives!  I have a second system where I have three optical drives installed with no problems at all.

I'd give anything for an XP error message, or even a log file, but I've never received either.  XP just craps out without warning and without leaving a clue.  I too have a 2nd system, almost identical to this one.  That's another reason why I have to get to the bottom of this, I'll likely need to replace that disk some day too.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print