Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 and Windows Recovery (Read 22049 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10 and Windows Recovery
Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 11:10pm

I disabled ghostray.exe in msconfig too.  So long ago that I can't remember why. It's not necessary. I don't like tray icons and it uses about 10 MB RAM.

IP Logged

danyb
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 8:12am

Quote:
I disabled ghostray.exe in msconfig too.  So long ago that I can't remember why. It's not necessary. I don't like tray icons and it uses about 10 MB RAM.

You say: I disabled and it's not necessary : You mean it is not necessary to disable or it is not necessary in start-up?
Do you still use Ghost to make sheduled backups?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 2:04pm

The tray icon is not necessary. It's just there as a "faster" way of starting the Ghost GUI than using the All Program menu. I do daily scheduled images. Removing the icon makes no difference to how Ghost runs.

There have been reports of ghostray.exe causing high CPU usage but I didn't have that problem.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #18 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:59am

Brian, when using Ghost 10 (i.e., purchased as an individual product and not part of Norton Save & Restore or Norton SystemWorks) in the absence of any other installed Symantec product, is there also a Norton Protection Center icon in the System Tray?  In other words, does the Ghost 10 product add a Ghost icon as well as a Norton Protection Center icon to the System Tray?

Also, does the removal of the Ghost 10 icon in the System Tray have any impact on the running of automatically scheduled backups?  (I thought its presence was necessary to enable the scheduling feature, but I may be mistaken.)

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 1:52pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:59am:
does the Ghost 10 product add a Ghost icon as well as a Norton Protection Center icon to the System Tray?

Pleonasm, there is only a Ghost icon.

Quote:
does the removal of the Ghost 10 icon in the System Tray have any impact on the running of automatically scheduled backups?

I disabled the icon in msconfig when Ghost 10 was first installed and there are no problems with scheduled backups.

It's been ages since I looked at NSR. Does it have two icons?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #20 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 3:14pm

Brian, thanks for the clarification.

To answer your question, yes:  Norton Save & Restore adds its own icon to the System Tray as well as the Norton Protection Center icon (see this thread).

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print