Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
**** HELP!!!!!! **** Ghost v9.0 Restore Problem (Read 9061 times)
Cuartas
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Gijón - Asturias - Spain

**** HELP!!!!!! **** Ghost v9.0 Restore Problem
Jan 4th, 2007 at 9:22am

Hi all,

I´m having a BIG Ghost v9.0 restore issue here and I need some help (probably I´m doing something stupid...)

I have now 02 IDE drives. See the info below according to the WinXP disk management tool:

- Disk 0 (235Gb)

Partitions:
     Win01   (F)  - 30Gb NTFS  (WinXP Installed)
     Win02   (G)  - 30Gb NTFS  (Empty - No WinXP Installed)
     Storage (H) - 175Gb NTFS (Empty - No WinXP Installed)

- Disk 1 (8Gb)

Partitions:
     Old-HD  (C)  - 08Gb NTFS

I´ve installed and configured WinXP on partition Win01 and would like to clone it to partition Win02. I created the image from Win01 with no errors and the image file was verified.
The problem is that the restore procedure goes fine without any error message but no files are copied to Win02. If I try to reboot, windows shows a LOT of errors during the boot process and after I login, there´s nothing on Win02 and the drive letter is missing (I have to format Win02 again).

Am I doing something wrong here or is this a Ghost v9.0 feature?  Wink

Thanks in advance!!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: **** HELP!!!!!! **** Ghost v9.0 Restore Proble
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 1:10pm

Cuartas,

This could be difficult because I suspect it's a Microsoft problem. See "What's Wrong with the Microsoft Way?"

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/principles.htm

I'm a little confused about your procedure. Was the OS on your second HD the original WinXP? Would you be happy to make multiple "clones" of this partition. I'm afraid cloning your F: drive will be a dead end.

IP Logged

Cuartas
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Gijón - Asturias - Spain

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 5:14pm

Hi Brian,

I`m not sure if I understand correctly your question about the procedure but  I´ll try to clarify.

The original WinXP is currently on the partition named Win01 on disk 0. I created an image from it and the objective is to restore it on the partition named Win02 also on disk 0.

Is there any work around for the "Microsoft problem"???

Thank a lot for your help and regards!!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 6:18pm

Sorry mate but you messed up the WinXP install. The boot files have gone to the second HD and you have installed WinXP into the F: drive. I have a Microsoft reference on how this happens but can't find it at present. To get it right you will need to start again. Delete all OS partitions on both HDs but do it in a way so you don't lose your data. I'd then remove the second HD until you have WinXP installed into a C: drive.

How did you do your partitioning? The whole process will be difficult if you don't have Partition Magic. You really need to have it.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/index.htm

Keep those questions coming. It takes a while to feel comfortable with what you are attempting.

IP Logged

Cuartas
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Gijón - Asturias - Spain

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 3:15am

Hi,

If I understand correctly, the problem is that everything on the ghost image points to C: drive and when I try to restore it to another partion (Win02) which already have a different drive letter, "G" in this case, things get messed up when I try to boot. Well Brian, this sounds strange to me because I have another PC at home (I´m not at home right now) and everything works fine with almost the same configuration (partitions) and procedure.

Ok. I need to start all over again but what do I need to do different to prevent this problem to happen?

Thanks again for your help and time.

Regards

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 4:51am

Cuartas,

The Microsoft way of multibooting works fine until you start using imaging software and try to restore individual partitions or try to resize partitions. Most people just use the multiboot without the image restore process so never notice a problem. Until it's too late. If you remove your second HD from the computer I think you will find that WinXP on your first HD won't boot. Let me know. Also, only have one HD in the computer when you install WinXP. Keep it simple.

Dan's site

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/index.htm

explains the pitfalls and although it's very detailed, you should try and understand most of what is written. You don't need to read the section on installing to an Extended Partition.

I can't find that link to installing WinXP in the wrong partition. I did it once but can't recall how I messed up. Someone else may help us with an answer. Do you have Partition Magic? I create the partitions first, set one primary partition Active and install into that partition. Later, when you restore an image of your OS to other partitions, you use Partition Magic to keep one OS partition "active" and the rest "hidden".

You want all OS to be C: drive when they are in use and hidden when they aren't. You will be approaching expert status by the time you have worked through Dan's site.

IP Logged

Cuartas
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Gijón - Asturias - Spain

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 4:33am

Thanks (again) Brian for all you help.

I´ll will check Dans´s site and do some testing but  I´m affraid that due to the mess with the partitions drive letters I´ll have to start all over again...... 8-(

Best regards!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 4:57am

Yes, it's bad luck but you will learn so much from this process. Keep us informed of your progress. Others will benefit too.

Quote:
A sadder and a wiser man,
He rose the morrow morn.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print