Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IDE to SaTa with Ghost 10 (Read 6994 times)
kaletonto
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northeast Pennsylvania

IDE to SaTa with Ghost 10
Jan 6th, 2007 at 11:15am

I searched around and didn't seem to find my set up so I am asking before I screw it up. I  am looking to just copy from my running IDE drive to my new sata drive and then run the computer from the sata drive.

The two motherboard controllers are attached to the DVD&CD and ZIP&Floppy.

The two IDE hard drives are connected to a Promise Ultra 100 controller.

The new Sata drive is connected to a Promise 300 TX2 controller.

I have used G10 to copy my hard drive from the c: to the E: which is the Sata drive. Now I need to know how to make the changes necessary to make the sata drive the start up boot drive and  the two other ones just additional storage.

I have many of the Norton programs and also the Seagate Disk Wizard program and I am running XP.

Any and all help is welcome and appreciated.

Thks
Harold

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: IDE to SaTa with Ghost 10
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 1:33pm

IP Logged

kaletonto
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northeast Pennsylvania

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 12:44pm

Brian wrote on Jan 6th, 2007 at 1:33pm:

Brian...
I got the instruction manual (51Pages) and have been reading and trying to understand about this program. It appears that the program -BootItng- is very powerful and when I get thru understanding the principals it will help.

The first page you sent me said I could make a switch in my bios to do what I wanted also and I tried that and it worked. It then left me with trying to find a way to change my drive letters that I think I need to do. Here again maybe I am wrong but my thinking is the sata drive will need to be the C: and the copied drive will need to be the E: if I am explaining that correctly and I haven't found out how to do that yet in the BootItng program.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:07pm

kaletonto,

I should have been more specific. The link I posted was just to outline the procedure. You should do the "copy" with Ghost 10, not the TeraByte products.

IP Logged

kaletonto
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northeast Pennsylvania

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 11:52pm

Brian wrote on Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:07pm:
kaletonto,

I should have been more specific. The link I posted was just to outline the procedure. You should do the "copy" with Ghost 10, not the TeraByte products.

Brian...
Okay. Then if I just do the copy with G10 and use my bios to select the correct drive and then remove the power to the other two will the bios/windows change it to the  correct drive letter? If that is yes, can I then power down again and reconnect power to the other two drives and the bios/windows will change their drive letters correctly? I didn't see in the outline anything about drive letters.

thks Harold

IP Logged

kaletonto
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northeast Pennsylvania

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 11:03am

Brian wrote on Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:07pm:
kaletonto,

Brian..
After your response I did some more reading on drive letters and found where you had given some help to a person on server cloning and you pointed him to some Dan Goodell writings.

--Method #2:
If you plan ahead, you can clear the registry's drive letter table before cloning the partition, then let 2000/XP rebuild it the next time it boots. To clear the table of partitions and drive letter assignments, use regedit to navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices]. This key will contain a bunch of values like "\??\Volume{...}" and "\DosDevices\C:", etc. (See illustration above.) Deleting all values will induce Windows to regenerate all signatures and assign fresh drive letters the next time it boots. Thus, you first clear the registry values, make the clone, and then the clone will rebuild the table the first time it boots.

(Technically, you only need to clear the [MountedDevices] entries related to the drive letters you want the registry to forget, but if you're not confident you can identify the exact entries, there is no harm in deleting all entries. At worst, you would just need to use the DiskMgmt snap-in to reset your custom drive letters for other devices such as CD drives, etc.)

After following this info I was able to copy the sata drive and get running okay except for one thing. Now Norton says my activation on NSW is no longer any good because I have used all my allowable copies. I did monkey around with this change a couple three times before I found the above info---any suggestions.

Also, in my way of thinking this sucks from Norton. I am not cheating, is there any recourse you could point me two? I am going to look also but you seem to be up on everything. This has been a long process but my computer is certainly faster.

One thing I should note is that on the boot to the sata drive it took almost 10 minutes to get everything going, after that one time it was quicker than the IDE drive. The reason I waited that long before doing anything else is because I could hear the drive working since I had the side off.

thks
Harold

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print