Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flummoxed using Backup Image Browser (Read 6033 times)
frazzled
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Flummoxed using Backup Image Browser
Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:16pm

Hi folks , here for my annual pilgrimage.

Last year I suffered a hard drive catasrophe, eventually solved with a clean XP install on a new drive and recovering most or all of my files  (I thought) on the fried drive by swapping pc cards and using a recovery program called GetDataBack.  

Several months earlier I had Ghosted the drive to DVDs. I have a total of 8 dvds with a series of files CDR00001.GHO thru CDR CDR0039.GHO.

I'm pretty sure thst some files that would have been on that Ghost job did not get brought over to my new install, and I would like to recover at least some of them, mostly jpg files.

I tried firing up Symantec Backup Image Browser from Sysworks2005 which I thought was Ghost 2003 and I am prompted to insert disc 1. I do and select CDR0001.GHO, then get an hourglass for 10-15 seconds at which time I'm prompted to "select file for last segment", so I insert disc 8 and file CDR0039.GHO. Hourglass and then a screen saying "new disc required, please insert disc 7" with choices to retry or cancel. I select retry. It then starts the sequence over again, "insert disc 1" "insert disc 8" "insert disc 7" etc. My sense is that this will go on endlessly and that nothing is really happening.

My working assumption when something like this happens is I am doing something totally stupid or wrong. If so, I am too stupid to figure out what it is. Anyone have any ideas?

I confess I have never actually restored anything using Ghost. Although I Ghosted my stable new installation and invested in an external drive with nightly backups after my last disaster.

If nothing else, it would be helpful to know what you are supposed to see or what is supposed to happen when you use Backup Image Browser.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Flummoxed using Backup Image Browser
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 8:42pm

re: "annual pilgrimage"

don't forget to make your obligatory 7 trips around the site:

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Supplicating_Pilgrim_at_Masjid_Al_Haram._Mecc...

Smiley

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 9:31pm

I'm not sure if Ghost 2003 comes with SystemWorks 2005; I think it is Ghost 9 or 10.

The DVD swapping is known and really annoying as you found out.  Assuming you have lots of extra space on your new pc hard drive, I suggest you create a new folder and manually copy the files from the 8 DVD's to that folder.

Then try to browse by pointing to the folder backup Ghost file.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

frazzled
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 12:33pm

I don't know what version comes with  Sysworks 2005 Premier. I do know that the installer and the readme.txt files on the Sysworks CD clearly say it is Ghost 2003. However, when I open my installation of Ghost it sure looks like version 9, and I'm nearly certain it came from the selfsame CD. When I try to view files from the Syswroks panel "Backup Image Browser" is started. When I click on the .GHO files in Windows Explorer "Ghost Explorer" is started.  The former appears to be a version 9 utility and the latter a version 2003 utility (which I've dermined is located in a sub-folder under Browser and is started up when Browser is used to attempt looking at a file).

At any rate, i copied all the CDR00**.GHO files from my  dvds into a single hard drive folder.  No matter what I do when I click on the CDR00001.GHO file I get the message "Corruption in image file, or media not present. Not all files are shown.".

I'm pretty certain that nothing in these Ghost files is recoverable, at least not by me.  It sounds like there may be a more straightforward way of backup imaging  in version 10, and I may give it a try since I already have a copy of Save & Restore.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 6:10pm

frazzled wrote on Jan 16th, 2007 at 12:33pm:
At any rate, i copied all the CDR00**.GHO files from my  dvds into a single hard drive folder.  No matter what I do when I click on the CDR00001.GHO file I get the message "Corruption in image file, or media not present. Not all files are shown.".

.GHO files are Ghost 2003 backup files.  I'm not familiar with the advanced options in Ghost 2003, but hopefully someone else can help.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 9:37am

frazzled

Quote:
I don't know what version comes with  Sysworks 2005 Premier. I do know that the installer and the readme.txt files on the Sysworks CD clearly say it is Ghost 2003. However, when I open my installation of Ghost it sure looks like version 9, and I'm nearly certain it came from the selfsame CD.

Both Ghost 9 and Ghost 2003 are on the Norton SystemWorks installation CD.  By default, Ghost 9 will be installed if you have a WinXP system--Ghost 9's installer file is in the *X:\GHOSTNT\* sub-directory and is called *NORTONGHOSTNT.MSI*.  Ghost 9 requires *.NET*, and only WinNT systems support *.NET*--Win9x or ME do not--so if you have an older OS--then Ghost 2003 will be installed.

Ghost 2003 is in this directory *X:\GHOST\GHOST.MSI* on the installation CD.  You can not install both Ghost 9 and Ghost 2003--only one or the other.  If you uninstall Ghost 9, and then click on the installer file *ghost.msi* on the installation CD, you will force the installation of the Windows version of Ghost 2003 onto your WinXP system.

Quote:
When I try to view files from the Syswroks panel "Backup Image Browser" is started. When I click on the .GHO files in Windows Explorer "Ghost Explorer" is started.  The former appears to be a version 9 utility and the latter a version 2003 utility (which I've dermined is located in a sub-folder under Browser and is started up when Browser is used to attempt looking at a file).

Ghost 9's backup image files are different that Ghost 2003 files.  The default browser if Ghost 9 is installed is *Backup Image Browser*--but, can only read Ghost 9 files.  Ghost 9 includes *Ghost Explorer* for backwards compatibility so former Ghost 2003 (or similar version which create image files with a *.gho* or *.ghs* file extensions) files can be mounted.

So when you click on the *.gho* file, that file is associated with Ghost Explorer and brings up that program.

Ghost Explorer can be cranky and unreliable--works for some and not for others--when it works--it works great!

Quote:
I'm pretty certain that nothing in these Ghost files is recoverable, at least not by me.

When you created those backup files to DVD, did you do an *Integrity* check?--did the backup image set pass the *Integrity* check?

When Ghost Explorer will not work, others have done the following to recover files--works as long as the image file set is valid (i.e. can pass the *Integrity* check):

--get a spare HDD that is large enough to hold the data that's in those DVD files--install it to a secondary controller if possible, or as slave on the primary controller.

--copy the files to a single directory on one of your system's partitions (not on the spare HDD) (which you have already done).

--boot to DOS Ghost and restore the image file to the spare HDD

--boot back to Windows, and now you should have access to the files on the spare HDD--grab what you want and then shut down and remove the spare HDD.

Questions?  Report back with your progress!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print