Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can't recover Ghost 10 image backups! (Read 21080 times)
Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Can't recover Ghost 10 image backups!
Nov 5th, 2006 at 10:22pm

Hello all;

Newbie here and major frustrated! After shelling out $100 CDN for Ghost 10, I can create backups just fine, but am unable to rerstore from a backup set. I beleive the problem is to do with my raid Drivers  on my nVidia nForce2 SLI MoBo.

Symantec is of no Help! Can someone out there explain to me in laymans terms, how to go about getting the raid drivers loaded in the recovery CD process, so I can use a backup and recover it. Or am I better off trying to work with the Ghost 2003 CD that came with this package, or is the raid array still a problem with this version as well?

Your feedback will be "greatly appreciated"!

Cheers,

Pepe.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Can't recover Ghost 10 image backups!
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 12:39am

Pepe,

Have a look through this and get back to us. I think the nVidia drivers are part of the problem. I gather you can't see your HDs even after loading drivers from a floppy. Is that correct?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11624...

IP Logged

Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 1:29am

Hello Brian,

Just a quick reply before I have a look through all that info you supplied. I don't have  any drivers loaded onto a floppy yet, nor did I have the option to do so during the install of Ghost 10. Best of my understanding of all this thus far, is that yes, Ghost can't see the H.D.'s.

The driver valididation test showed these results.

The following devices do not have drivers in the Symantec Recovery Disk.
Nvidia nForce (tm) Raid Class Controller
Nvidia nForce Networking Controller.

Detaiked Information:
Class : SCSIAdapter
Class Guid: { 4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Description:  nVidia nForce (TM)  Raid  Class Controller
Hardware ID:  ACPI\NVRaidBus
Hardware ID:  *NVRAIDBUS
----------------------------------------
Class:   Net
Class Guid:  {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Description :  nVidai nForce Networking Controller
Hardware ID:  { 1a3e09be-1e45-494b-9174-d7385b45bbf5} \NVNET_DEV0057
-----------------------------------------

When I run the recovery console and hit F6, I'm asked to put media into Drive A, which is of coarse my floppy drive. If I bypass that step, the recovery CD loads and than just hangs on please wait.

Thanxs for the quick reply and I shall try to make heads or tales out of all this info.

Greatly appreciate your time.

Cheers,

Pepe.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 2:06am

Pepe, thanks for the extra info. The Driver Validation test indicates that you need to load drivers from a floppy each time you use the Ghost 10 CD. That's normal. What's not normal is the CD hanging on "Please wait". This is not related to drivers and could happen to you whether you insert a floppy or not.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11577...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11282...

Could you try your CD in other computers and see if it loads into the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment. One of the suggestions was to get a different RE CD from Symantec. There are several versions of the CD. The present CD doesn't like your computer or vice versa.

IP Logged

Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 12:10am

Quick Update.

After being on with Symantec Live Chat, trying to boot into reovery CD with all USB cables unplugged, still no success. They gave me a user name and password to log into an FTP site in order to download a new ISO  of Ghost 10.0, but that won't work either. Angry

So now, I'm waiting for a link via e-mail. Excuse my little "Rant" here, but for the kind of money I had to shell out for this program, A guy shouldn't have to go through this kind of BS to get it to do what it's supposed to do!

Would I be better off uninstalling Ghost 10 and giving things a try with the copy of Ghost 2003 that came with it? I'm willing to try anything once.

Cheers,

Pepe.  Undecided

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 12:24am

Pepe, does your CD boot in other computers?

While you are waiting for the ISO you could use Ghost 2003 to create an image. It doesn't need to be installed and Ghost 10 doesn't need to be uninstalled. Just boot to the Ghost 2003 CD and create your image. They are both good apps but Ghost 10 can be automated to do the image backups without any effort on your part. You can certainly use both apps on the same computer but you can't have both installed on your computer.

IP Logged

Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 6:30pm

Hi Brian,

I don't have any other computers to try Ghost 10 on I'm afraid, but I will give your suggestion a try for sure. Making the image seems to be the easy part, but I want to be "darn sure" I can recover from the image, saving many many hours of work, which what this is  really all about.

Thanxs for the help thus far, it is greatly appreciated from someone not so tec-no savy!  Wink  You have a great forum here, sure glad I stumbled across it.

Cheers,

Pepe.

IP Logged

Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 9:13pm

Another quick update to my tec-no woes!  Embarrassed

I just tried booting up with Ghost 2003 CD, which goes into PC-Dos 7.1

When selecting loading of ASPI drivers, selection number 2. I got this message:

Unable to Find any AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX
ASPI8DOS.sys

AHA-1540/1542/1640  ASPI Manager For DOS Version 3.36
ASPI4DOS. SYS Failed.

If I keep selecting  Y or N during all this, eventualy I end up with an A:/ promte which I have no idea how to procees from this point on. So, I just shut down and reboot back into windows.

I've yet to receive my link too the FTP site in order for me to download a new ISO copy of Ghost 10, so this whole ordeal  is not going well at all, to say the least.

I look forward to any further advice, thanxs.............

Cheers,

Pepe.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 9:19pm

Pepe,

A Ghost 2003 user should be along shortly to explain what is happening. In the meantime, try again and when you get to the A: prompt, type   ghost    and press Enter. You should see Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:01am

Pepe

Quote:
A Ghost 2003 user should be along shortly to explain what is happening.

Maybe a little longer than *shortly*--was out of town yesterday!  Where's everyone else--you folks know how to do this!

The error messages are probably *normal*--the DOS boot is searching for various devices that most of us do not have--and it reports failing to find those devices.

If you get to the A:\ prompt, that means you have successfully booted to DOS--but the newer Ghost 2003 boot discs do not *automatically* load Ghost.  You use a couple simple DOS commands to change to the directory where the *ghost.exe* program will be found.  You want to select the option during boot that offers CD-ROM support so you have access to you CD drive.  Turns out all the choices load support for the CD drive except the one that specifically say something to the effect *load no DOS driver support, just go to the A:\ prompt*--then you will be unable to access the CD in the CD drive.

On the Ghost 2003 bootable CD, *ghost.exe* is found in this location:  *X:\Support*  (where *X* is your CD drive's assigned drive letter--you have to watch during boot to see what drive letter that is).

So at the A:\ prompt, type the DOS command to change to other drives by typing the drive letter followed by the *colon--:*, so for CD drive letter *X*:

x:  (and then press enter)

You should now have an X:\ prompt.

Do you have any partitions that are *seen* by DOS--FAT16 or FAT32--then they should be assigned a drive letter by DOS--so you can try typing:

c:  (and then press enter)

If you only have NTFS partitions--then those will not be seen in DOS--but can be seen once Ghost is loaded--assuming Ghost is able to access your HDD in DOS without *special* drivers--your system has to have built-in support for DOS access to your HDD's!

Once at the CD drive's letter, you then *change directories* with the DOS command *cd*, so type:

cd support  (and then press enter)

Should now have:

X:\support>

To confirm that you have *ghost.exe* in that sub-directory, type the DOS command to list files in that directory--*dir*:

dir  (and then press enter)

*ghost.exe* should be in the list of files.

Type *ghost.exe* and then press enter, and Ghost should be loaded.  Once in Ghost you should see if you can *see* your HDD partitions to confirm that Ghost can access those HDD's.

NTFS partitions will be listed by drive # and partition #, so like this:  1:1, 1:2, 2:1, 2:2, etc.

If you want to move back up a sub-directory, type *cd ..* and you will move up:

cd ..  (and press enter) 

You can change to other drive letters from any DOS prompt by typing the drive letter and the colon.

Report back with your progress--and questions!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 1:02am

Hi: Thanxs for the info, no problem on how long it took before you could reply. I haven't been able to dedicate the time I'd like to, to get this issue resolved myself.

I will reread your instructions, try and digest it and give them a go. Hopefully, I will be victorious with this, one of these days.  Embarrassed

Cheers,

Pepe.

IP Logged

Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 5:39pm

An update finally!

After a week of "pissing around" with Symantec's Live Chat, I've finally managed to get into their FTP site and download an ISO file and can now boot into recovery mode with the new disc!

What a joke of a process this was! I'll leave the rant at that, as I'm now able to, not only boot into recovery mode, but I'm also able to restore from a recovery point, which is what I needed to be able to do! At long last. I wasn't able to get into recovery using Ghost 2003 as per previous instructions, but that's just me not understanding DOS.

Thanxs for the help.

Cheers,

Pepe.  Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 6:47pm

Pepe, good news. Thanks for letting us know the new CD works. Any idea how the new CD differs from the earlier one?

IP Logged

Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 7:00pm

Hi Brian,

The Ghost 10 ISO file I burnt didn't do the trick. It turned out to be a file called L6 Dell XPS 600 Fix. I burnt that one to CD and it's the one that get's me into recovery CD mode.

Sorry I didn't mention that before. Hopefully, this might help others one day.

Cheers,

Pepe.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 7:32pm

Pepe wrote on Nov 17th, 2006 at 7:00pm:
The Ghost 10 ISO file I burnt didn't do the trick. It turned out to be a file called L6 Dell XPS 600 Fix. I burnt that one to CD and it's the one that get's me into recovery CD mode.

Pepe, did you download "L6 Dell XPS 600 Fix" from Symantec? Does it boot into the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment? Do you have a Dell?

Some people with Dell computers who use a Windows XP OEM CD to build a BartPE CD have boot problems. A "Fix Dell XP plugin" is said to work. I haven't seen this problem.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print