Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can't recover Ghost 10 image backups! (Read 21115 times)
Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Can't recover Ghost 10 image backups!
Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 9:54pm

Yes, I downloaded L6 DellXPS Fix ISO from Symantec's FTP site. Yes it boots into Ghost 10  recovery mode. Yes, I have a Dell XPS 600 new in MAY/06.

Cheers,

Pepe.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 11:51pm

Pepe,

Awesome computer.

It's nice to know Symantec had a custom Ghost 10 CD for your computer but not so nice to know that you weren't told about the CD for quite some time.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 11:23pm

Pepe,

Do you have an external USB HD? If so, can you see it from the latest recovery environment CD?

IP Logged

Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 5:58pm

Brian wrote on Nov 18th, 2006 at 11:23pm:
Pepe,

Do you have an external USB HD? If so, can you see it from the latest recovery environment CD?

Yes I do have  a  USB external H.D., but that is one thing I haven't done yet, see if I can see it from the recovery CD environment. I just tried burning an image too DVD last night, but the burn failed! So far, I'm not  sure why????

It is nice to see Symantec has these files for specific Computers, but the problem was waiting hours on end to get an answer from Live Chat, than the Tech guy telling me me which file to download, plus getting a user name and password that worked! It was long and frustrating, but thank god I've  finally got things working!!!!

Cheers,

Pepe.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 8:39pm

Pepe wrote on Nov 19th, 2006 at 5:58pm:
Yes I do have  a  USB external H.D., but that is one thing I haven't done yet, see if I can see it from the recovery CD environment.

Could you do me a favour and try this with your XPS 600?

Quote:
I just tried burning an image too DVD last night, but the burn failed!

Writing direct to DVD is unreliable. The clever way to get an image onto DVD is to write it to a HD first, in 4480 MB splits and use Nero etc to burn the splits.

IP Logged

Pepe
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 9:58pm

Brian wrote on Nov 19th, 2006 at 8:39pm:
Could you do me a favour and try this with your XPS 600?

Writing direct to DVD is unreliable. The clever way to get an image onto DVD is to write it to a HD first, in 4480 MB splits and use Nero etc to burn the splits.

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay. As things turned out, I was indeed able to see the images I have saved on external USB H.D. from within recovery mode. Hope this helps?

What size file splits would I need to make in order to burn an image on Dual Layer DVD's? Are those 4480 splits you speak of compressed, as once I finally get all my Flight Sim data installed, I'm looking at about a 75 Gig backup, so if it's not compressed, I'm thinking that is going to be one big pile of DVD's to back all that up?

Cheers,

Pepe.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 10:24pm

Thanks for that test.

The 4480 MB is a file size (not related to compression) and certainly with a large image you would want it compressed. Nero says a dual layer DVD holds 8152 MB so make your splits 8150. Try it on a RW disc first to make sure it works.

75/8 = 10 DVDs. I would never consider that. If one disc gets scratched, your whole backup image is dead.

IP Logged

amitofo
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 4:38pm

Quote:
Yes, I downloaded L6 DellXPS Fix ISO from Symantec's FTP site. Yes it boots into Ghost 10  recovery mode. Yes, I have a Dell XPS 600 new in MAY/06.

I have the same problem that I could not boot my Dell XPS 410 into Ghost 10 recovery mode.  Every time I did that the computer will get into blue screen.  My computer has Core 2 Duo and Window XP Pro.  I have contacted Symantec about the problem via e-mail about a week ago, but still haven't received any response yet.  I wonder if I also need to download L6 DellXPS Fix ISO from Symantect's FTP site to fix the problem.

Thanks for the help,

amitofo Smiley

IP Logged

amitofo
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 5:01pm

Quote:
I have the same problem that I could not boot my Dell XPS 410 into Ghost 10 recovery mode.

I used Live Chat to get help from Symantec tech support.  They also referred me to obatin a custom recovery disk.  I haven't received the disk yet, but at least it's a good start.

Thanks for the information I learned from the discussion board.

amitofo : 8)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print