Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
*Ghost 9 Copy Disk will not boot!* (Read 40291 times)
raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

*Ghost 9 Copy Disk will not boot!*
Jan 17th, 2007 at 3:11pm

Hi, im very new to this stuff, im trying to upgrade to a new hard drive. I really need some help, im using norton ghost 9 and i copied my c:/ drive to my E:/ drive. it seemed to work as all the files are there and the same amount of used space is there. but when i removed the original drive, and put the newly copied one in as the master, i get a wierd message during boot. it doesnt reach the OS or anything. it says unable to read media check all cables. i did this. it still didnt work. it works as a slave but not a master. im not sure what to do. the only thing i can think of is it could have to do with the  small *:/ drive. idk please help me someone.

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Norton Ghost on Dell dimension pc
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 4:53pm

anyone can help me?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Norton Ghost on Dell dimension pc
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 8:58am

raynearcadia

Does this outline help found in the
Frequently Asked Questions
thread for Ghost 9 by Brian:

Cloning partitions with Ghost 9

You might try changing your thread topic to *Ghost 9 Copy Disk will not boot!* to grab more attention.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: *Ghost 9 Copy Disk will not boot!*
Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 5:14pm

Ray, you have probably figured out by now that Ghost 9 does NOT have a "copy the entire disk drive" feature on the boot CD.

1. Read through Chapter 7 of the Ghost 9 manual first.

2. You should delete any partitions on the new drive first and then try again.

3. Basically, you boot from the CD, then run the copy wizard 3 times:  first for the small Dell partition, next for the c: drive and last for the e: partition.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 5:42pm

I have copied both partitions, but it doesnt work still, its almost as if its my own computer. as a secondary drive the computer recognizes it, but as a master, it doesnt... i cant figure this out

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 6:09pm

raynearcadia wrote on Jan 18th, 2007 at 5:42pm:
I have copied both partitions, but it doesn't work still, its almost as if its my own computer. as a secondary drive the computer recognizes it, but as a master, it doesn't... i cant figure this out

You need to copy all 3 partitions, not just the two.  First the dell one, then the c: and last the e: partition.

When coping the c: partition, tell Ghost 9 to make that one bootable.  Look in the manual for the options.

The reason you copy all 3 is because the boot.ini file on your c: drive tells XP the physical arrangement of the hard drive partitions.  

You want an EXACT image, so do all three in the order I specified.

After copying, you change your new drive to master, and disconnect/remove your old hard drive.  Be careful on your new drive clip settings, because some drives have different clips for single vs master with slave present.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 6:11pm

I re-read your first post.  Now I'm confused.  Is the e: drive on a separate physical hard drive or same one?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 6:19pm

I'm puzzled as to why you have a drive letter e: showing.  You don't want to have both drives connected at the same time with XP running.

You will likely have to fix the registry of XP for the mounted drive letter e: to eliminate that.  Otherwise the clone won't boot because XP will remember that drive is e: and not allow it to be c:.

The easiest way to fix it is to modify your c: registry in XP JUST BEFORE shutting down.

Look at this thread:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11449...

Specifically:

B. then the first and easiest approach is to modify the XP system registry:

Run Regedit, and navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices key.  Delete the \DosDevices\e: data-value where e: corresponds to the drive letter of your other drive.  

After this, delete all partitions on the new drive.
Shut down
Boot from Ghost 9 recovery CD.

This way your copy will have "forgotten" the e: drive.

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 7:39pm

yeah i had them both connected at the same time... is this wrong?

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 7:41pm

im having a real tough time with this... E: is the new drive... i think im not following the proper directions on this... i just copied each partition one at a time but all in wondows xp, do i have to use a recover cd? and if so, how and why?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 7:47pm

raynearcadia wrote on Jan 18th, 2007 at 7:41pm:
im having a real tough time with this... E: is the new drive... i think im not following the proper directions on this... i just copied each partition one at a time but all in wondows xp, do i have to use a recover cd? and if so, how and why?

I finally figured out that E: is your new drive.

Both drives have to be connected ONLY at the same when you copy--BUT you must copy using your Ghost 9 Recovery cd, which is a stand-alone boot.

Letting XP see both drives and copying from within XP is the problem.  Follow the procedures I outlined above with the registry fix to make XP forget about the new hard drive.

Read Chapter 7, starting on page 87 of the Ghost 9 manual, which is very complete and detailed.

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 7:54pm

ok, so where do i get a recovery cd? do i have to create this? i dont really know what it is to tell u the truth...

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 7:57pm

raynearcadia wrote on Jan 18th, 2007 at 7:54pm:
ok, so where do i get a recovery cd? do i have to create this? i dont really know what it is to tell u the truth...

The Ghost 9 Recovery CD is the same CD that you used to install Ghost 9.  Put the cd in, and set your pc to boot from cd first, and it should bring up the stand-alone recovery version of Ghost 9.

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 7:58pm

also, since i formatted the drive, i dont see it in XP, i cant browse it anymore.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 7:58pm

If you purchased a download version of Ghost 9 from Symantec, then you will have to contact Symantec and get the ok to download it from them and burn it yourself, or for them to mail you one at nominal cost.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print