Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
*Ghost 9 Copy Disk will not boot!* (Read 40539 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: *Ghost 9 Copy Disk will not boot!*
Reply #30 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 8:14am

Disk drives don't have to be pre-formatted to use the Copy-Drive feature of Ghost 9.  A new blank unformatted disk works fine.  It's the preferred way to copy-drive.

However, since you previously used the drive, you have to delete the partitions that are on it and/or format it.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #31 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 8:25am

well i deleted all partitions in Paragon then i formatted partition... is this the proper way to do this?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #32 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 8:32am

raynearcadia wrote on Jan 19th, 2007 at 8:25am:
well i deleted all partitions in Paragon then i formatted partition... is this the proper way to do this?

That's fine.  Then follow the procedures previously outlined.

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #33 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:13am

ok im gonna do all this... thanks so much for ur help.... if this dont work then im not sure what i will do.... btw, and maybe this is just cause the way i did it, but i just wanna make this clear before i go do this one more time so u understand... originally i copied disk to disk in windows, all partitions(which i now know was wrong) but the when it was done, i could see both HDD in my computer and in bios, the new one as a secondary, the main one as the master. when i shutdown, and removed the master original and moved the secondary to its spot and set it as master, i booted and the bios wouldnt recognize it. that was my original problem. it was recognized as a secondary, but not as a main. now hopefully, my problem was that i didnt do it right(bootfrom cd instead) and this will fix all that.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #34 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:27am

raynearcadia wrote on Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:13am:
now hopefully, my problem was that i didnt do it right(bootfrom cd instead) and this will fix all that.

Correct.  Normally it wouldn't be this complicated.  You would take a new blank unused unformatted disk that you just purchased, read chapter 7 of the manual, and boot from the cd.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #35 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:31am

If for some reason, you get an error message or some problem when you boot from your new drive (with your old one REMOVED), just write the message down etc.  Then remove your new drive, hook up your old drive, and post the results here.

Don't boot into XP with BOTH drives connected.

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #36 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:52am

ok i have a worse problem now... first idk what im doing in this recovery disk, which options do i pick? and secondly i dont think it even identified the new hard drive.. windows doesnt either now... bios did but nothing else does. paragon does but its just all unallocated space.... when i opened up recovery disk i had 3 drives, the cd, the c: and then this wierd ms-ram z: drive is that the hard drive? idk what was with that. but which option do i pick when im in the recovery disk?

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #37 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 10:27am

i dont think there is any copy from hdd to hdd in the recovery disk... am i wrong? it seemed like i could only use previously made images, and what not...

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #38 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 11:47am

raynearcadia wrote on Jan 19th, 2007 at 10:27am:
i dont think there is any copy from hdd to hdd in the recovery disk... am i wrong? it seemed like i could only use previously made images, and what not...

You're right.  I'm sorry for the confusion.  It's been awhile since I used the copy-disk option of Ghost 9.

The copy-disk feature is from the Windows XP option in Ghost 9, so you won't need the the Recovery CD.

To recap then (and again sorry for the confusion):

1. Connect your old drive as master, and new as slave.
2. Boot to XP
3. Verify with XP Disk Manager that both disks appear.  Your new slave drive should be shown, but without a drive letter.  That is correct.  There should be NO drive letter assigned to new hard drive.  If there are any partitions on the new drive, delete them.  Be sure you are selecting the correct drive!
4. Follow the Registry edit changes previously outlined.  Close Registry editor.
5. Start Ghost 9
6. Select Tools/Copy-Drive.  Copy dell partition, then c: partition.  Use options I mentioned previously.
7. close Ghost 9.
8. Shut down XP immediately.
9. Remove old hard drive.
10. Change new hard drive to master/single.
11. Boot new hard drive.

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #39 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 1:09pm

ok that didnt work... again same problem.... it says PXE-E61 media failure, check cables when i put the new drive in by itself... and for whatever reason, when i coppied it made a partition exactly the same size as the original c: drive but i have all this unallocated space that isnt usable still.....

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #40 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 4:11pm

raynearcadia wrote on Jan 19th, 2007 at 1:09pm:
ok that didnt work... again same problem.... it says PXE-E61 media failure, check cables when i put the new drive in by itself... and for whatever reason, when i copied it made a partition exactly the same size as the original c: drive but i have all this unallocated space that isnt usable still.....

Does your pc support large hard drives?  I noticed your original drive is 30gb which makes me think that it is an older pc and it is possible that your bios does not recognize the larger drive size.  Go to the website for your pc and look for bios updates and be sure you have installed the latest one.

Unfortunately if you do find a newer bios, you will have to delete the partitions, and start over and try again.  At least now you know how to do it.

Also, when you copy the c: partition, check the option "resize drive to fill unallocated space" as well as the other options previously mentioned.  That will expand the c: partition to fill up the rest of the drive.

Also look here for other hints about your error message:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PXE-E61+media+failure

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #41 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 4:41pm

Is your old hard drive set to cable select or master?  What did you set your new hard drive to?

Just saw some postings about improper settings.

http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/3247.shtml

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #42 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 9:18am

How old is your PC?  The reason I ask is that there was a pc technology change 4 or 5 years ago to support hard drives larger than 137 gb.

Many pc's manufacturers had bios updates required in order to access these drives.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/size.htm

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #43 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 9:21am

ok i finally got it to work, i used partition manager tocopy entire disk and it worked perfectly. thanks for all ur help but i think the paragon thing was better than ghost 9. and it only took 30 minutes to copy.

IP Logged

raynearcadia
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #44 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 9:23am

one other thing, the new hard drive randomly makes a clicking noise. like a "click-clock" sound every once in a while. is this bad?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print