Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Too much data to burn slipstreamed XP SP2 to a CD? (Read 8450 times)
C Man
Radmeister

Too much data to burn slipstreamed XP SP2 to a CD?
Jan 21st, 2007 at 10:40am

I almost felt like registering a new screen name just to ask this question b/c the answer is probably obvious but I honestly don't know what it is.  Shocked  I just got my first burner and I want to burn a slipstreamed XP SP2 to CD.  If I right-click the slipstreamed folder and do a 'properties' it shows both its 'Size' and its 'Size on Disk' (which I guess is its compressed and uncompressed size because of the .cab files?)  Anyway, both of those sizes are too big for a CD, right?  One is just under 900 MB and ther other is just over 1 GB.

So how do you burn that much data to a CD?  I know it would fit on a DVD, but people burn them to CDs and I'd like to know how to do it.

Try not to make fun of me too much! Undecided

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Too much data to burn slipstreamed XP SP2 to a
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 11:21am

C Man

Hmmm...I have slip-streamed both WinXP-Pro and WinXP-Home and both still fit on a standard CD--I have to think that something has not gone right with your slip-streaming procedure--just to be sure--you do not keep the down loaded update file that you use to slip-stream the original XP files with as part of the files that you then burn to the CD--once you have run the slip-streaming process, that downloaded update file is not added to the installation files.

I just re-checked, and the updated slip-streamed installation files for XP-Home is 537.4 MB.

I use this outline for the steps to follow to create the slip-streamed XP installation files:

Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 1:38pm

NightOwl, that's the same guide I used.  I followed it step by step (up until you get to the part where you burn the CD since I haven't done that yet) and everything worked exactly as he explains.

One thing I didn't mention before is that my XP Pro SP1a CD came with a Hewlett Packard PC, so maybe it has several extra hundreds of MBs in extras on it?  Here's a screenshot of what the CD contents look like in Windows Explorer.  On the left is SP1a (815 MB), and on the right is after I slipstreamed SP2 into it (899 MB).  I realize this is only the root view of the CD contents, but maybe someone could look at their slipstreamed CD and tell right away if I have some extra folders in mine.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 2:04pm

C Man

1.  The left side does not match the right side as far as sub-directory listings--so you must be modifying something in addition to following the slip-stream guide.

2.  Open your burning program, select all the files and sub-directories from the original installation CD of your HP-SP1a and pull them into your burning program as if you were going to use those original files to burn to CD--how much data does it say you have?

3.  Here's my pre-slipstream directory on the bottom of the image and my post-slipstremed directory on the top for XP-Home:

*Bootcat.bin* and *Bootimg.bin* are added by the Roxio burning program when creating the bootable CD--the other files are from the slipstreaming process.

Notice, there is no change in the listed sub-directories.  And, only files in the *i386* sub-directory are effected by the slipstreaming process as far as I can tell.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

C Man
Radmeister

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 2:33pm

I know that the directories don't match 100% between the left & right.... I deleted the Compaq, Docs, & Valueadd directories after I looked at their contents.

I don't have a burning program yet, but to answer your question about how much data I have, it's 815 MD for SP1a and 899 MB after SP2 was slipstreamed in.

I noticed you don't have the USWXP32P_ZX folder that I have in my CD contents.  I just checked it and it's got 6,267 files, 588 folders, and is 322 MB in size.  It's identical in both the slipstreamed and pre-slipstreamed CD contents.  That's probably the culprit right there, but what the heck is it?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 2:58pm

C Man

The HP installation CD must be something *special* to hold that added amount of MB's.

Do a *Google* search on the *
USWXP32P_ZX
* folder name--there's been a lot of discussions about it!

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 5:34pm

Another alternative would be to use the DVD and make a
Windows Post Installation
which includes all of your most important software.

I use this method and have all of the hotfixes for Windows XP included, plus a post install javascipt (shortcut right on the desktop after install) enabling me to consecutively install 125 programs fully automated...  with no user intervention, simply by putting a check in the checkbox next to all the programs you want to install.

Put the WPI XP DVD in your drive, boot from it.  Come back in about an hour and you're looking at your desktop.  Click on the javascript shortcut (you could also use VB.NET or C# to facilitate the Post Install...  but you would need the .Net Framework 2.0 previously installed for this to be functional), put a check in the checkboxes of all the programs you want to install, click the install button and walk away.

All installation scripts with product keys and activations are configured beforehand with
AutoIt 3
the official one-hour software.  I learned it in a weekend so anyone can use it.

If you're going through the trouble anyway, why not make it awesome? (Should time permit).

Just a suggestion.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

kd6aaj
Dude

I think I can, I think
I can...

California, USA

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2007 at 3:58pm

Not sure if this will work with your Dell, but this worked for my OEM install.

I slipstreamed my XP Home XP2,
then added the MS Hotfixes with with ryanvm's integrator:

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

It actually replaces the original files with new ones and updates the relevent registry entries, etc. This keps the ISO size down. It is also un-reverseable: You can't un-install the hotfixes. I Hotfixed mine to May 8, 2007. Works great. I used a 700MB CD-R.

I had to remove the "FLUFF" like the "VALUEADD" folder to make the ISO fit my new CD-R.

Then I made the ISO with "CDImageGui"  http://unattended.msfn.org/files/global/CDIMAGE_GUI.EXE

CDimagegui uses cdimage.exe, the program Microsoft used to burn the XP cd's!
The boot image will be hidden like the original, so if you open it with windows explorer, you won't see the boocat.bin and bootimage.bin files.

Isobuster will see the boot image, though! You can use Isobuster to extract the bootimage (MicrosoftCorporation.bin) to a file on your HD.

they have their page for how to use cdimageguiage:
http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/15/

Printable version:
http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/print/web/15/

the boot image:
http://unattended.msfn.org/files/global/boot.img

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print