Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Single image file with Ghost 10 DOS (Read 21953 times)
drazzst
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Single image file with Ghost 10 DOS
Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 12:54am

Hello,

I'm new here and having a problem...I've imaged a monster drive...770GB, that was originally partitioned as C: (20G), D: (20G), E: (1.05TB). 

The image process worked just fine.

When I try to restore the image to a different machine with the same hardware configuration, Ghost is displaying a negative drive size, and because of that, it won't let me create the partition sizes correctly on the new box.  Has anyone run into this before?

Thank you for your help.  I've been working on this for the past 8 hours.

Thanks,
Jason

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 1:06am

drazzst,

I'm a little confused but certainly impressed with your HD size. Ghost 10 doesn't work in DOS. How did you create the image(s)? How are you restoring the image(s) to the other computer?

IP Logged

drazzst
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 1:22am

Sorry, like i said, i've been doing this for the past 8 hours Smiley

I used BartPE and ghost 8.2 to create the image.  It was just a typical:

Local -> Disk -> To Image

I then selected the source (1TB drive) then the destination, 500G drive.  The total data that I had was approx. 770GB...using high compression it fit on the 500G drive.

Now, i'm trying to do the reverse:
Local -> Disk -> From Image

When I do this, it allows me to select the image file on the 500G drive, the destination drive (1TB drive shows)...but then I get to the screen where you set the partition sizes (Destination Drive Details).  It lists the 3 partitions that were on the old machine, and even has the correct data sizes.   However, ther place for the new size is incorrect. 

Basically, there is this

Part  Type     ID      Desc      Label    New Size   Old Size   Data Siz
1      Primary 07  NTFS Diskload 20002       20002        6694
2      Primary 07  NTFS Diskload X              20002        3565
3      Primary 07  NTFS Diskload X             -992769     770125

The problem is, I can't fill out the new size field properly because the size of the drive is reporting as -992769 (I would imagine because it's too big).  Is there any way around this limitation?

(Note:  I did try accepting the defaults but that failed with not being able to access a cluster -9993823937 (number is not exact, it was a cluster location .... also, sorry the columns aren't lining up)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 1:34am

I'm with you now. I failed to notice this was page 2 of a thread and that's why I was confused.

No clever answers but why don't you try restoring the image from DOS instead of BartPE and see if the negative drive size is fixed. If you don't have ghost.exe then I'm stumped.

IP Logged

drazzst
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 2:13am

No luck there, either, i'm afraid.  I have the same problem.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 2:37am

I hope the DOS men will be along shortly.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 2:54am

A thought. Why not put both HDs in the same computer and do a Disk to Disk clone with Ghost.

IP Logged

drazzst
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 8:02am

Because it's a 500G External USB Hard Drive Smiley

As for the disk to disk clone, we can't get the other array into the other machine, so there is no way to do a direct link between the drives.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #23 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 12:17pm

drazzst

Quote:
The image process worked just fine.

Well, not until you run the image *Integrity* check and it passes--did you do that?

Quote:
I used BartPE and ghost 8.2 to create the image.

As in all things computer--you have to be anally specific and correct--computers do not accept *almost* accurate input!  You are using *ghost32 v8.2*!  *ghost 8.2* is the DOS only version of Ghost--only the 32-bit version of Ghost (ghost32) will work in BartPE!

Why are you not using Ghost 10 to perform the image creation to the USB HDD, and then use the Ghost 10 Recovery Disk to restore the image from the USB HDD on the other system?

Quote:
As for the disk to disk clone,
we can't get the other array into the other machine
, so there is no way to do a direct link between the drives.

What is the problem here--you disconnect items you do not need that are preventing you from hooking up the HDD's you need for the immediate process, you hook things up long enough to do the operation, disconnect what is no longer needed, reconnect what you need--and re-boot once you're ready.

What *other array*?

Quote:
I've imaged a monster drive...770GB,

Because it's a 500G External USB Hard Drive

Maybe the 500 G external can not function properly with that much data being stored to it--might require some *free space* for breathing room!  But ...

Quote:
but then I get to the screen where you set the partition sizes (Destination Drive Details).  It lists the 3 partitions that were on the old machine, and even has the correct data sizes.   However,
ther place for the new size is incorrect

That strongly suggests that there is a compatibility issue if Ghost32 is listing the sizes incorrectly--maybe Ghost32 just is not compatible with HDD's of that size--anybody know if there are *size* limitations for Ghost32?!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

drazzst
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 2:55pm

Well, not until you run the image *Integrity* check and it passes--did you do that?

After I read these forums, that was the first thing I did, and yes, it passed.  Smiley

As in all things computer--you have to be anally specific and correct--computers do not accept *almost* accurate input!  You are using *ghost32 v8.2*!  *ghost 8.2* is the DOS only version of Ghost--only the 32-bit version of Ghost (ghost32) will work in BartPE!

Actually, i didn't realize that, but the DOS version did the same thing.

Why are you not using Ghost 10 to perform the image creation to the USB HDD, and then use the Ghost 10 Recovery Disk to restore the image from the USB HDD on the other system?

Hmm...good question, and quite possibly the answer.  The last research that I did said something about this.  I'm not a ghost expert, so I never thought about a ghost 10 recovery disk.  I will look into this.

What is the problem here--you disconnect items you do not need that are preventing you from hooking up the HDD's you need for the immediate process, you hook things up long enough to do the operation, disconnect what is no longer needed, reconnect what you need--and re-boot once you're ready.

Unfortunately, I can't go into details, but with the type of setup we have, I can't do it this way. 

What *other array*?
Destination of the image

Maybe the 500 G external can not function properly with that much data being stored to it--might require some *free space* for breathing room!  But ...

This could be, but there is actually somewhere around 50G of free space still on the 500G.  I haven't seen any performance issues in any web documentation or google search for this.

That strongly suggests that there is a compatibility issue if Ghost32 is listing the sizes incorrectly--maybe Ghost32 just is not compatible with HDD's of that size--anybody know if there are *size* limitations for Ghost32?!

This is what I am worried about...but, Ghost does actually see the drive size correctly, and I've read that GSSv1.1 may actually help to address this...and by chance I think we have that in a different department (fingers crossed)

All, thank you for the help so far.  I'm putting this on hold until Monday.  Any further thoughts are greatly appreciated and I will try these suggestions on Monday.

Thanks for being here.

Jason

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print