Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem in accessing data over 2 G.B on dvd (Read 3423 times)
navid
Ex Member

Problem in accessing data over 2 G.B on dvd
Jan 30th, 2007 at 4:30am

I made bootable dvd with ghost image file on it for restoring my system using nero ver 6(bootable dvd ISO).I used wim98se (tried also win me) boot files.On dvd there are three files
1-ghost.exe (version 8.3)
2-win2k.gho  (size=2000 M.B.)
3-win2k001.ghs   (size=1845 M.B.)
and bootsector contains files
1-autoexec.bat
2-config.sys
3-io.sys
4-msdos.sys
5-command.com
6-oakcdrom
7-mscdex

when I start copmuter using this bootable dvd it works fine and automatically runs the ghost file and start restoring partion but when it reaches at  2 G.B. data limit ghost stops and asks for next portion of backup file and if i brows to the file win2k001.ghs it does not recognise it.And also when I try to copy this second file win2k001.ghs from dos command prompt after copying some data it gives me reading error.My understanding is I can not sccess data over 2 G.B. while booting using dos files.Please some body help me about this.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Problem in accessing data over 2 G.B on dvd
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 9:08am

navid

Quote:
when it reaches at  2 G.B. data limit ghost stops and asks for next portion of backup file and if i brows to the file win2k001.ghs it does not recognise it

Did you run an *Integrity* check on your Ghost image file set to make sure the files where not *corrupt*?

Run Ghost *manually* in DOS and do an Integrity check by having Ghost read the files on your optical media--results?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

navid
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 11:16pm

Thanks nightowl for reply but I think files are ok because I copied first  file win2k.gho(2000 M.B.) from the same old bootable dvd on empty partition on the target computer but when I try to copy the second file win2k01.ghs (19** M.B) after copying some data it fails ( I think it reaches 2 G.B limit).Then on an other computer in winxp I copied the second file from the same old bootable  dvd to hard drive then write the second file on an other dvd and by booting the target computer with same bootable dvd i copied the second file from the new dvd to the empty partition of the target computer.Then I try to run ghost from the same old dvd but using backup ghost files on the harddrive instead of dvd ones and it restore my system successfully.so it means by using the same bootable dvd I can access harddrive over 2 G.B. limit but I can not access dvd over 2 G.B. limit and also it means that my ghost backup files are ok.One more thing I used the  same procedure "Nightowl's Roost Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive" as you described exactly in autoexec.bat i use ghost.exe -clone,mode=prestore,src=x:\win2k.gho:1,dst=1:1 -fx minstead of only ghost.exe .May be there is some thing wrong with dos dvd driver that I used( mscdex , oakcdrom)

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 11:31pm

I have experienced this before while trying to salvage an incomplete 6 DVD image for my brother's laptop.  I think the problem exists in trying to copy an existing image from one source to another.

Somewhere in this forum (I really suck at finding previous topics discussed, and I'm hoping someone will add to this with the proper reference I'm thinking of) that Ghost 2003 or before writes an image in a way that cannot be copied any old way you want.  I know if you make an .ISO it works.

When you first start to create an image in Ghost 2003 or earlier it asks you if you want to transfer the contents of a bootable floppy to the boot sector of the cd.

What I do is make a standalone Ghost Bootable CD (via Nightowls directions) and then pull that out and put in just the DVD image set (Ghost will load and run in DOS and allow you to remove the initial bootable and replace it with another disc and still perform from start to finish).

I think this is what you are asking.  Hope it helps.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print