Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can't Restore from Ghost 9.0 (Read 28493 times)
wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Can't Restore from Ghost 9.0
Jan 30th, 2007 at 11:55pm

I'm new to this forum. I hope someone can help me!

I have regularly been creating backup drive images with Ghost 9.0 of my computer onto an external H/D for some time. I created the images while Windows was running. I always check "verify" when creating these images.

Yesterday, the H/D on my computer failed and could not be fixed with Windows Install Disc repair routine. I got a new H/D and tried to Restore the image onto the new drive via the Recovery Environment. I selected all the "Advanced" settings such as "make bootable", "copy drive signature" and "restore MBR". It looked like it was doing something for about 1-1/2 hours. When it was done, I tried to reboot and only got a black screen and "Disk Read Error" message.

I then went into Restore Files and Folders instead of Restore Drive Image. Again I verified the image and it passed. However, when I tried to browse the image, I got a message saying "Error EC8B0022: Browsing this V2i drive is not supported.". I also tried installing Windows XP Pro (like before) then Ghost 9.0 and tried browsing the image from Restore Files & Folders with the exact same error.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

As you can imagine, I'm having a mild coronary fearing that I may have lost all that data that I thought I had religiously backed up. I am also very frustrated by the fact that Symantec no longer supports this product.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Can't Restore from Ghost 9.0
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 12:54am

hi. i moved you to the ghost 9/10 board, where some of the gurus there should be able to help. let's hope it's a simply mistake. i always recommend doing a test-restore *before* you really need to (restore).

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_caveat.htm

but that doesn't help you now.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 1:21am

wanderer,

I hope we can help you access this image. First, a lot of questions.

How many backup images do you have?
Are all your backup images on the external HD?
Can you run chkdsk /f /r on the external HD to see if there are any bad sectors?
From your current setup can you right click the .v2i file and click Mount? Does it mount with a drive letter?
How much data was on your old C: drive? How large was the HD? How large is the backup image?
How old is the backup image?
Is the backup image a single file or is it split into multiple files?
Do you have a BartPE CD?
How large is the new HD?
How large is the external HD?
Do you have Partition Magic?

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 9:47am

Rad, I thought I posted my question in the Ghost 9/10 board. Am I missing something? MC

Brian, Here are the answers to your questions:
How many backup images do you have?
--- One
Are all your backup images on the external HD?
--- Yes
Can you run chkdsk /f /r on the external HD to see if there are any bad sectors?
--- How do I do this?
From your current setup can you right click the .v2i file and click Mount? Does it mount with a drive letter?
--- I get an "Error EC8B0023: Mountin this V2i drive is not supported.", but it looked like it was trying to assign it to "G:".
How much data was on your old C: drive? How large was the HD? According to the Mount V2i Drive window the size is 39,070,049KB and it was a 40gb HD, no partitions.
How large is the backup image?
--- There are 6 image files. First 5 are 4,194,176KB each, last one is 4,106,880KB. There is one Recovery Disk file which is 1KB in size.
How old is the backup image?
--- 1 week
Is the backup image a single file or is it split into multiple files? Multiple files:
--- C_Drive.v2i, C_Drive_s01.v2i, C_Drive_s02v2i, C_Drive_s03.v2i, C_Drive_s04.v2i, C_Drive_s05.v2i, CSLAP.sv2i (CSLAP was the computer name with that drive).
Do you have a BartPE CD?
--- I don't think so.
How large is the new HD?
--- 40GB.
How large is the external HD?
--- 160GB.
Do you have Partition Magic?
--- Yes v8.0

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 2:44pm

wanderer wrote on Jan 31st, 2007 at 9:47am:
--- How do I do this?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004066687571562?Open&...

If your external HD was E:   at the E:\ you would type chkdsk \f \r   (note the two spaces)
This is Step 6. Bad sectors are one cause of your problem. Let us know the result.

One thing I'd suggest is to transfer your image to an internal HD and restore from the internal HD instead of the USB HD. Can you borrow a HD and install it as a second HD? Or can you remove the external HD from its case and install it as an internal HD?

I guess your USB HD is FAT32. What about your WinXP?

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 9:10pm

Brian wrote on Jan 31st, 2007 at 2:44pm:
If your external HD was E:   at the E:\ you would type chkdsk \f \r   (note the two spaces)
This is Step 6. Bad sectors are one cause of your problem. Let us know the result.

One thing I'd suggest is to transfer your image to an internal HD and restore from the internal HD instead of the USB HD. Can you borrow a HD and install it as a second HD? Or can you remove the external HD from its case and install it as an internal HD?

I guess your USB HD is FAT32. What about your WinXP?

Brian,

OK, ran chkdsk {you had your slashes going the wrong way, btw} and here are the results:

- 7 bad links in lost chain at cluster 4226512...18
- 1 lost chain cross-linked at custer 4226519. Orphan truncated.
- Convert lost chain to files (y/n)? y
- 256kb in 8 recovered files.
- Windows made corrections to the file system.
- 156,250,144kb on disk
-  14,174,080kb available
- 32, 768 bytes in each allocation unit
- 4,882,817 allocation units on disk
- 442.942 allocation units available

That's it! I don't see anything out of the oridinary on that drive, especially with the drive image files.

I'm working on a laptop - can't add an another internal drive.

External HD is Fat32, laptop is NTFS.

Mark

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 9:41pm

wanderer wrote on Jan 31st, 2007 at 9:10pm:
{you had your slashes going the wrong way, btw}

Doh.

Mark, I'm getting worried as we are running low on options. Could you try and restore the image again. It's promising that it does verify and I certainly wouldn't give up.

Are you working from the same laptop now? With Ghost 9 installed on the new HD? If the restore doesn't work, could you connect the external HD to another computer, install Ghost 9 on that computer and see if you can mount the image. If it mounts then you can at least get at your data.

Regarding the restore, you probably did it this way but just to make sure.

Quote:
Boot to the Ghost CD
Set the Time Zone
Advanced Recovery Tasks
System Restore
dot in Restore drives          ,Next
dot in Single drive            ,Next
Browse to your image file      ,Next
Select a destination           ,Next
tick Verify backup
tick Check for file system errors after restore
tick Resize drive to fill unallocated space (Y or N) Will be greyed out if partition is correct size
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signatures
tick Restore MBR (for a new HD)
Next
tick Reboot after finish
Finish

Check computer clock after OS boots. May be out by an hour or two.

If you are working from the laptop at present you should make a backup image of your current OS partition before you do the restore.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 9:51pm

Mark, I just noticed that your external HD is 91% full. This may be causing read errors. Any way you can move some data to another computer so that the external HD is less than 85% full.

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 10:10pm

Brian,

I can easily do that and I will try it. However, it is the "Error EC8B0023: Mounting this V2i drive is not supported." message that bothers me most. It comes up instantly, before it could possibly have time to discover there isn't enough scratch room on the drive. "...supported" makes it sound like there is a program setting that is not allowing browsing.

Do you think Ghost 2003 would be able to access these image files through DOS?

Btw, do you know of any programs that can resurrect intact files from disks where Windows won't boot and can't be fixed but the disk is physically OK?

Wanderer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 10:23pm

Mark, much of what I'm saying is theory. I haven't experienced your problem.

You are getting the same error message from Windows as from the Recovery Environment. But the image does verify so that is positive.

Quote:
Do you think Ghost 2003 would be able to access these image files through DOS?

Afraid not.

Quote:
Btw, do you know of any programs that can resurrect intact files from disks where Windows won't boot and can't be fixed but the disk is physically OK?

Yes, BartPE. But let's leave that for a while. What I had considered was to look at your HD with BartPE if the restore seems successful but the HD doesn't boot.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:24pm

Brian,

Hmmm, I no longer have a h/d that I tried restoring onto. I loaded windows on it and am using it now. I do have the original failed disk where Windows is trashed but mechanically it is OK. I also have another drive that I've loaded Windows onto, but haven't updated or anything. I suppose I could try to restore onto that one then BartPE it.

Is there any way we could use BartPE on the original failed disk?

Wanderer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:34pm

wanderer wrote on Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:24pm:
Is there any way we could use BartPE on the original failed disk?

Sure. Well worth a try.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Build the CD as per instructions. You don't need any plugins at present. Boot to the CD (it takes several minutes to boot), click GO, Programs and then A43. I think it is in the Program menu. A43 is like Windows Explorer. Hopefully you will see your internal HD. You will certainly see your external HD.

Any questions?

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:48pm

Brian,

I installed the program, ran it and put in my original XP install disk. It read all kinds of files then immediately tried to burn the PE disk without giving me a chance to eject the XP disk and put in a blank disk. What do I do now?

Wanderer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:54pm

In the BartPE folder will be a file called pebuilder.iso (I think that's the correct name). It's a few hundred MB in size. Burn it with Nero etc. It must be burnt as an image (not as a data file) eg Recorder, Burn Image. That's the file that would have been burnt anyway.

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:09am

OK, I have the BartPE disk done!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print