Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can't Restore from Ghost 9.0 (Read 28609 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Can't Restore from Ghost 9.0
Reply #15 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:15am

Good. I'd test it on your current setup. Use A43 and you will understand what is going on in about 10 seconds. Then install that problem HD and boot to BartPE for the real test.

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #16 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:23am

Brian,

Shoot, I just happened to think. I may have used a different XP install disk to create Windows on the disk I'd like to get the files off than I used to create the BartPE. I'll make another one with the same install disk.

Wanderer.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:25am

No problem. That doesn't matter. Just use the current Bart CD. That CD will work on any computer with "any" OS. Even Win 95.

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #18 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:26am

So I have to reboot to that CD, correct?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:29am

Yes, just use it like your Ghost 9 CD. It takes a few minutes to boot into the preinstalled environment.

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #20 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 1:40am

Brian,

OK, I'm back. I used BartPE on my current drive and did the A43 file management. I could see everything, all drives, etc. So far so good.

Then I swapped the current HD for the bad one. Booted up with BartPE, went to A43 and had to wait quite a while for the window to come up. Unfortunately, I could see everything but the C: drive. I could see the Ghost image files on my external HD, however.

Any ideas?

Wanderer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 1:46am

Mark, that indicates hardware failure of the HD. If Windows was just corrupted you would see the files.

I'd try to restore your image again but get the used space on your external HD less than 85% before the restore.

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #22 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 1:53am

Brian,

I was afraid you'd say that. But a computer store here said they checked the integrity of the drive and it was OK. Oh well...

OK, I'll try restoring, but it's getting late (almost 3am) here. I think I'll do that tomorrow. Were you thinking to look at the restored drive with BartPE to see if it actually wrote anything? I'll try that.

Thanks for all your help. I'd appreciate your checking the board again tomorrow to see how I made out.

Wanderer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 1:59am

I'm hoping the restore works. Naturally. If it progresses normally (as before) but doesn't boot then check it with BartPE.

It's 7 pm here in Australia.

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #24 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 10:29pm

Brian,

I've been busy since I spoke with you last. I've also been very successful in recovering most of the files off the bad disk with a program created by a firm in Canada near here. It is called Active@ File Recovery (www.lsoft.com). It was able to show me the entire file structure of the bad drive and enable me to copy folders and/or files to another external drive. BartPE was not able to do anything with it. Since I have a laptop, I did have to get a USB external drive cradle for the bad drive.

This company has all kinds of programs like this and they are great to work with, too. I would recommend them highly!

At this point, restoring the Ghost drive image of the bad drive is on a back burner since I have most of the files off of it.

Just wanted to advise you of all this and thank you very much for all your help last night. I really appreciated the time you spent with me!

Wanderer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 11:19pm

Mark,

What a relief. I'll have to check out Active@ File Recovery. It certainly saved your data when we were struggling with alternatives.

Please keep us informed of any new findings and especially if you can get that image to restore, or not. I think you have the dubious "honour" of being one of the few, if not the only one, who couldn't restore a verified Ghost 9 image. I don't like that. My gut feeling is that it's related to the overfull external HD. Not very scientific, I know.

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #26 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 11:27pm

Brian,

I'll try again, soon. But I've wasted so much time on this now, I've got to get some work done right now.

You'll be the first to know if it works.

Mark

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 11:38pm

I understand. I'm interested in the good and the bad.

IP Logged

wanderer
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rochester, New York

Reply #28 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 9:34am

Brian,

Tried restoring from the Ghost 9 disk image on one external HD to a new 60gb HD in a USB HD cradle using Ghost 9.0 running on the laptop. I started out OK giving me a few messages, but then at 31:54 minutes it hung with the message "Waiting...". After about 2 hours of this I shut it down. It never wrote anything to the drive so I think it just couldn't read or process the disk image files.

Do you think I should try it via booting from the recovery environment? If so, I have some questions:

1) The last screen I get before restoration begins asks a bunch of questions that I'm not totally sure how to answer:
    a) Make disk bootable (y/n): ?
    b) Copy Disk Signature (y/n): ?
    c) Restore Master Boot Record (y/n): ?
    My gut feeling is that I shouldn't have to do any of these because all of these features should come back from the disk image. I've tried it both ways and nothing worked prior to my emptying the external 150gb HD (now only 60% full).

2) If it fails again & I get the same black screen "Disk Read Error":
    a) I will try running either BartPE or Active@ to see what, if anything, has been written the disk.
    b) Will I still be able to reload Windows using the Windows Install CD?

Thanks.

Mark

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 2:19pm

Mark,

It's not looking good. Thanks for moving files off the external HD and I note the restore still doesn't work from Windows and I suspect it won't from the RE either.

Is it possible to eliminate the USB HD from the restore process? Ghost 9 is not much use to you if you can't restore an image. This is what I'd do. Copy the image to a desktop computer. Install Ghost 9 on that computer. See if you can mount the image. If it mounts then you would be concerned about your USB "system". Now restore the image to your laptop internal HD over the network.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11207...

Quote:
Restoring an image from the Recovery Environment

Boot to the RE
Click Yes for Networking
Click and adjust Time Zone
Click Advanced Recovery Tasks
Click Utilities
Click Map Network Drive (this maps a drive on the other computer)
Don’t click Browse
In the Folder field, add your network share as \\computername\share  (The other computer)
Instead of the computername you can type the NIC IP address of the other computer (if it has a static IP address) eg \\192.168.1.6\share 
Enter Username and password when requested
Click “System Restore”
Choose Restore Drives
Choose Single drive (or other choice)
Click Browse
Click the drop down arrow in “Look in”
Don’t click My Network Places
Choose your Mapped Drive and navigate to your image
Choose Restore Destination
Continue the wizard

PS If you aren't using a router to connect your computers for the RE operation, then a few changes are needed. First, have a static IP address for the NIC in your other computer. 
After clicking Utilities
Click Configure IP Address (this is for the computer containing the Ghost 9 CD)
Click Modify (for IP#1) and assign an appropriate IP address and subnet mask address (not the same address as the other computer)
If it won't let you modify #1, then modify #2 with an IP address. If your present computer has a static IP address, use that number, but it doesn't have to be the exact same number, just in the same range. 
Click Map Network Drive 
In the Folder field type the NIC IP address of the other computer eg \\192.168.1.6\share 
( \\computername\share doesn't work without a router)
Continue as above

You still need to do this

Quote:
Boot to the Ghost CD
Set the Time Zone
Advanced Recovery Tasks
System Restore
dot in Restore drives          ,Next
dot in Single drive            ,Next
Browse to your image file      ,Next
Select a destination           ,Next
tick Verify backup
tick Check for file system errors after restore
tick Resize drive to fill unallocated space (Y or N) Will be greyed out if partition is correct size
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signatures
tick Restore MBR (for a new HD)
Next
tick Reboot after finish
Finish

Another workaround would be to borrow an 80 GB laptop HD. Partition it into two 40 GB partitions and copy the image to the second partition. Install the HD in your computer. Boot to the Ghost 9 RE and restore the image.

The above tests would at least tell you if your USB "system" is a problem. If the USB "system" is the problem then other backup software should be affected too.

Ghost 9 may be the problem.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print