Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Recovery Disk Not Recognizing Recovery Points (Read 14589 times)
Mel_Slane
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Recovery Disk Not Recognizing Recovery Points
Jan 31st, 2007 at 8:39pm

I was able to use the Ghost 10 Recovery Disk one time a month ago to completely restore my computer so I know the program and the recovery disk work, or did work.  However, now when I boot up with the Recovery Disk it does not recognize my recovery points even though they have all been verified and are valid recovery points.  Two of them are stored on the D: partition and several others on an external hard drive - none of these are found by the recovery environment even though Ghost 10 lists them as recovery points in Windows before I boot the recovery disk.  Can anyone tell me what might cause that ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Recovery Disk Not Recognizing Recovery Points
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:42am

Mel_Slane,

Sounds like my Ghost 10 computer.

Quote:
Boot to the CD
set the Time Zone
click Recover My Computer
You will probably get a message about No recovery points found. Click OK.
click Open another location
Navigate to your recovery point
click Recover My Computer
put a dot in Custom (not Express). Click OK.
Next
choose the destination partition. Next.
tick Verify recovery point before restore
tick Check for file system errors after recovery
Resize drive to fill unallocated space will probably be greyed out. If it isn’t, tick the box
put a dot in Primary partition
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signature
tick Restore MBR
Next
no tick in Reboot when finished
click Finish. Yes

(destination partition edited Feb 2)

What happens when you click, "Open another location"?

IP Logged

Mel_Slane
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 9:05am

Sorry, but from the point where you say " put a dot in Custom (not Express)........" on I have no idea what you're talking about.  I don't remember seeing any of that in the Recovery environment.

IP Logged

Mel_Slane
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 10:44am

Brian

When you say "navigate to your recovery point", as I recall the D: drive where the recovery points are stored was not even shown in the list of drives available nor was my external hard drive with other recovery points.

IP Logged

Mel_Slane
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 11:41am

Brian

I'm still not sure I understand everything you said from "put a dot in Custom..." on but at this point it's academic.  When I boot up with the recovery CD and click on "Open another location", the explorer type window I get shows only the C: drive, plus a drive that looks like the CD-ROM drive and plus a MS-RAMDRIVE drive (no clue on that).  Drive/partition D: where the recovery points are located is not shown at all, nor is the external hard drive.  So, there's no way to follow your instructions (which seem to be showing how to re-prepare the D: drive for storing recovery points, or at least that's as close as I can figure out what you were doing in your procedure).

Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 1:27pm

Mel_Slane,

I'm with you now. You can't see "put a dot in Custom..." because you can't find any recovery points and I think it's related to this...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11441...

External and internal drives can be missing from the RE. It's happened to me. While you are digesting that huge thread, could you remove all USB devices from your computer, boot to the RE and see if the D: drive is now present.

IP Logged

Mel_Slane
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 2:04pm

Brian

OK, now we're making some progress at least.  When I turn off my external hard drives and boot up the CD, it does find my two recovery points on the D: drive.  If I turn on the hard drive(s) while in the RE, it doesn't affect anything but still doesn't see them.  Oddly enough though it does see the memory card reading slots in one external drive whether the drive is turned on or not.  I don't remember when I used the RE that one time for real whether I had the external drives turned off or not.  I've been leaving them off recently for energy conservation, since I strictly use them for backups. 

Haven't read all of that thread but will now.

Mel

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 2:11pm

Quote:
If I turn on the hard drive(s) while in the RE, it doesn't affect anything but still doesn't see them.  Oddly enough though it does see the memory card reading slots in one external drive whether the drive is turned on or not.

Mel,

An external HD has to be turned on prior to booting to the Ghost 10 CD. Not sure what to make of the memory card slots.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 2:50pm

The memory card slots must be self powered through the USB cable. You should pull that cable out for your testing.

IP Logged

Mel_Slane
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 2:54pm

Brian

I haven't read or at least understood all of that thread about drive letters, although I've read enough to know I don't want to get involved with things like changing DiskID, deleting partition descriptions, etc, etc..  Fortunately in my case there appears to be a simple work-around that will at least give me room for two more recovery points besides the two on my D: drive.  Knowing that the problem with the Ghost 10 software involves drive letters was very helpful.

First, so you'll understand what I did, I have two external hard drives.  One is an 80GB USB hard drive with no card reader slots.  The other is a USB/Firewire 160GB drive with a card reader "module",  and the latter appears to be visible to the RE even if I turn the hard drive off with the button on front.  I haven't tried to completely disconnect it yet but I think that's mute.  Just to confuse the issue (for me anyway), that drive is connected to the computer with both a USB and a Firewire connection at the same time (have no idea which does what).  This is the one that appears to be causing the problem, possibly the card reader part.

I found that if I turn off the bigger drive with the card reader slots (using the power button on front - again I haven't tried completely unplugging it), the RE does properly see the smaller drive when I boot up with the CD (and also sees the D: drive with my two main recovery points).  I don't have any recovery points on the smaller drive but that's easily fixed - I just have to clean it off and move the backups I was using it for to the larger drive. 

To summarize, if turn off the larger external drive with the card slots (and both Firewire and USB connection) and leave the other USB drive connected and powered up, the RE does properly recognize both that drive and also the D: drive where the primary recovery points are.  This will allow me to store about 2 more recovery points on the 80GB external drive. 

I agree that this is a problem that Symantec should have fixed by now, but not only is this program a piece of garbage, strictly my opinion, but their so called tech support is also garbage.  I still use Norton Systemworks but I've gotten rid of Norton Internet Security and gone to Trend Micro Internet Security which works fine.  I will also probably stop using Ghost 10 at some point, at least as my primary backup system, and go to Acronis True Image.

mel

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 3:12pm

Mel,

Good work. In my case the problem was induced by the memory card slots. I suggest pulling the USB cable on this device but leave the firewire cable attached. Can you see both external HDs with that scenario.

I use Acronis TI at times and it's flawless. My concern is some people in the TI forum experience failure of an image to verify and restore even though it verified in the past. Weird and worrying.

IP Logged

Mel_Slane
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 4:10pm

I'll give that a try, since I rarely use the card slots anyway.  If removing one of the cables works, I can always plug it back in if needed.  I usually just plug my camera into the PC so I really don't use them.  Thanks.

If you use both Ghost & True Image, maybe you can answer a question about that.  If I continue using Ghost (and the D: drive and external drive for storing recovery points), and start using True Image also, is there any problem with interference ?  Where does True Image store backups and would it mess with the partitions and storage locations I already have ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 4:27pm

Mel, I don't use Ghost and TI on the same computer. These days I only use TI in test situations.

TI does some things that Ghost 10 doesn't do. It can create images and clone from the CD recovery environment. So after installing TI you could create your recovery CD and then uninstall TI. Then you could install Ghost 10 (if you wanted it), run your hot imaging with Ghost 10 and do secondary image backups with TI from the CD.

Mustang has created an excellent plugin for BartPE. There is a Ghost 9 plugin for BartPE but no plugin for Ghost 10. If there was a Ghost 10 plugin your problem would be solved. Mustang's plugin has been very useful for those with problems in the TI Linux recovery environment.

I'm not suggesting that you do this. But it is possible.

IP Logged

Mel_Slane
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 11:12am

Brian

Thought you would want to know something about the Western Digital hard drive with card viewer slots that was causing the problem with Ghost 10.  As I mentioned previously, I unhooked the USB cable to that external drive (leaving the Firewire cable connected) and tested the RE, and both external drives showed up properly in the RE.  So I figured at worst I could unhook that cable when I needed to boot up with the Ghost CD.  Just for yucks though I stuck a memory card in there with the USB cable disconnected and lo & behold, the card slot still worked.   I thought that proved that the USB cable was there strictly to power a USB port on the front  of the drive, and the Firewire cable did everything else.    However, then I plugged a USB thumb drive into that USB port on the front, and it still works with the USB cable diconnected !!  I guess the two modes of communication are redundant and you can use either one to do everything, but I didn't know you could power a USB hub with no USB connection !
Comments ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 2:32pm

Mel, that sounds really promising for you. I haven't used an external HD with two cables except for a laptop external HD but it needed two USB cables for power (no AC adapter).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print