Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 - General Exception 36000 - Restoring (Read 15060 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Ghost 2003 - General Exception 36000 - Restoring
Feb 4th, 2007 at 3:59pm

Hello all!

Had a call from a friend whos computer I set up a few years ago. There were several problems. Very slow in general, WMP 10 not working OK, the screen going black for a second on an irregular basis and more to add ... Undecided ... but I won't bore you with more details.

I let Ad-Aware loose on it. Found a few tracking cookies which I deleted.

Next, I let Spybot S&D loose and it found the following:

TIBS with the executable C:\Windows\ms1.exe

Smithfraud-C with the executable C:\Windows\System32\paytime.exe and five executables C:\Windows\tool"n".exe where "n" is 1-5.

Torpig with the executable C:\Windows\kl.exe and a log file kl.log.

Spybot S&D could only fix paytime.exe but I could remove the other files manually.

My efforts made no difference. The computer still showed the same problems. I inserted Ghost Boot Disk #1 and booted to DOS. Next, Ghost Boot Disk #2 was inserted but it returned the below error log:

Quote:
Date   : Sun Feb  4 20:15:09 2007
Error Number: (36000)
Version: 2003.793 (Dec 17 2003, Build=793)
Command line arguments:
Active Switches :
      AutoName
ProgMode            : no progmode
PathName            :
DumpFile            :
DumpPos             : 0
File64 buffersize   : 0
FlagImplode         : 0
FlagExplode         : 0

Operation Details :
 Total size.........0
 MB copied..........0
 MB remaining.......0
 Percent complete...0%
 Speed..............0MB/min
 Time elapsed.......0:00  
 Time remaining.....0:00  

I have been running Ghost 2003 from GBDs on that copmuter ever since I set it up and it has worked flawlessly until now. My assumption is that whatever has infected the computer has written something to the system partition to cause the Ghost error.

Basic system specs are 2.0 GHz P4 with 512 MB RAM and two 120 GB Hitachi 7K250 PATAs.

Does this ring any bells?

Thanks for your time,
Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 2003 - General Exception 36000 - again
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 4:37pm

but you are not booting from the system partition, correct? .. when you boot from the ghost boot disk?

i mean, it sounds like you're having problems *before* the hard disk is ever accessed.

what about defective hardware, such as bad memory?

i always like to blow a fan on the mobo, to make sure it's not heat related, or affected. to rule that out. is mobo dusty? (which can act as heat insulator)

general exception .. that's a crash, no? (memory related)

can you run memory diagnostics from a dos boot floppy?

can be difficult to troubleshoot bad memory.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 5:16pm

Rad,
thanks for your suggestions!

I had to leave him hanging with no solution and will not have time to go back until mid week.

You're right that the hard disk has not been accessed by Ghost but since I booted successfully to DOS from GBD #1, it was accessed by DOS. (I also booted from a Win98 startup disk and it went well.) It is not until Ghost loads (from GBD #2) that the error message appears. It is towards the end of the program load, just before the screen should come on, that it happens. It is possible that it happens while Ghost tries to detect the disks.

The next time I go there, I will bring a hard disk to substitute the current system disk. (He has two 7K250. One with C: for system and programs and D: for data. The other with E: for backups of D: and F: for Ghost Images. This is not network related as in the other thread.)

If Ghost does not load but return the same error with the other hard disk connected and the current one removed, I will do some more hardware related tests. The computer was cleaned out (from dust) by myself only a few weeks ago when I installed a new video card. Memory tests will be the first thing to do.

One vital issue that I failed to mention is that from "cold", the computer does not start on the first attempt. He has to do a "norwegian reset" (switch the power on/off) and the second time it boots.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 9:16pm

"norwegian reset" .. never heard that term before. but i like it.  Smiley

definitely some weirdness going on, if the system does not boot on the first power-up.

and if it's not booting on the first boot, then i think that rules out any heat issues.

what about ide controller issues? .. i thot of that when you mentioned it might be having trouble when trying to access drives. the primary drive typically gets the most work and therefore usually dies first.

does the unit have good cooling/fans/air-flow?
swapping out components would provide valuable insight.

perhaps you could run some disk utilities, to be if it detects any hard disk anomolies.

these are difficult problems to troubleshoot.

the good thing about having a back-up image on the 2nd hard drive is that it makes swapping out the primary drive fairly painless.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 10:03pm

Christer

Two very interesting statements:

Quote:
One vital issue that I failed to mention is that from "cold", the computer does not start on the first attempt. He has to do a "norwegian reset" (switch the power on/off) and the second time it boots.

Quote:
The computer was cleaned out (from dust) by myself only a few weeks ago when I installed a new video card.

When did the last successful Ghost boot with image creation or restore occur?

Whenever a system problem occurs--I try to start listing everything I have done (system setting changes, software installations or uninstalls, hardware upgrades, software utility(s) run, etc.) recently in chronological order to the best of my memory?

Relative to any recent changes, when did the above symptoms first occur--i.e. where in the chronology of any recent changes do these symptoms first appear?

Depending on the answers, I would look for possible compatibility issues if the problems began after the video card was installed!

Possibly memory management conflict by the BIOS is occurring--many BIOS's require that resource allocations be *manually* reset from within the BIOS--especially when it come to IRQ assignments--even though most newer systems are supposed to *play nice* with *Plug-n-Play* devices.

I had an IRQ conflict occur on my system when I attempted to install WinXP the first time--with all the PCI devices hooked up as I had been normally using them with Win98se--when I attempted to run the installation WinXP CD--I could not get the Windows PE to load without a IRQ conflict crash and system halted.  I removed the network card, the sound card, and the modem--I left only the video card hooked up.

I then booted to the BIOS, told it to reset the IRQ allocation of resources.  I was then able to boot the installation CD--installed WinXP without further problems.

I then went back and installed each device, one at a time--re-booting to let the BIOS allocated resources one device at a time, and also letting WinXP install the device drivers.  Once successful, I would shut down and added another device.

I added the network card first, then the sound card, and finally the modem.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 3:28am

Rad,

"norwegian reset", well, there are many "norwegian stories" circulating in Sweden. Most of them focusing on how sweet and stupid they are. There are as many "swede stories" circulating in Norway. Brother nations they call us!

About the issue at hand, I don't think it is heat related. The HDDs run at normal (low) temperatures in a well vented case but there is no HDD fan (except the small one in the mobile rack). If it is HDD failure, that will be confirmed in two steps: 1) substituting a different HDD and if Ghost loads without errors after that 2) reinstall the troublesome HDD and nuke it by DELPART which should rewrite everything on that HDD.

Having the images on a different HDD is important in situations like this. Regrettably, there is no Disk-to-Image but only Partition-to-Image which means that XP has to be installed on a new HDD, during which the HDD is partitioned prior to restoring the image. (That also will put the correct MBR on the new HDD which is lacking from a Partition-to-Image.)

NightOwl,

I said that I cleaned out the computer when installing a new video card a few weeks ago. I discussed this with my friend after posting and it actually was a few weeks before Christmas which makes it more like a few months ago.

The computer has been running flawlessly after the new video card was installed. He has been very satisfied with "Google Earth opening up a whole new world on the new hardware". There has not been a hint of any compatibility issue during the few months after the new video card was installed.

The last time Ghost started from the GBDs was after installing the new video card when the system was reimaged and the image checked for integrity.

Every "piece of evidence" indicate that the malware is the culprit. An additional "piece of evidence" is that he has analyzed his actions last week when things started to go wrong. He came to the conclusion that he may have picked up the infection when he wanted to join an association and pay the fee over the internet with his credit card. The transaction was not completed but an error due to technical difficulties was reported.

Torpig is a keylogger - password stealer. The strange thing is that it is over a year old and Norton should have detected it. I don't remember which but one of the other malware has the ability to shut down AntiVirus software and/or "allow" themselves in the FireWalls. That may explain why Norton didn't detect the malware and its actions.

I will do some more googling and share any information that I find.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 3:40am

I have also failed to mention that the computer runs in Safe Mode without screen issues (it does not intermittently go black). I thought it may be the video drivers but unless damaged, the don't go bad "over night", right?

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 9:19am

Christer

Quote:
Every "piece of evidence" indicate that the malware is the culprit.

Well, the sequence of events does not seem to support that the video card is the culprit.

But, I can not think of how malware could effect the initial POST of a system that requires the "norwegian reset"!  Even if the malware is infecting the Master Boot Record (MBR) on the HDD--accessing the MBR would be later in the process than when the system is initially powered on.

And, when booting from a floppy boot disk--the main system is essentially isolated being as the MBR that is read is that of the floppy disk--now the only system level issue would be the CMOS settings!

Failure of electronics is most likely early in its life cycle of a device...but,

Quote:
I have also failed to mention that the computer runs in Safe Mode without screen issues (it does not intermittently go black).

That tends to point a finger at a software issue--if it were hardware related--Safe Mode should not solve the problem!

The fact that you can boot to DOS with the boot floppy successfully, but the system reports an error when Ghost is being loaded usually means there's a problem with device compatibility and accessing of HDD's or optical drives:

How to troubleshoot the error: "Internal error 36000 . . . "

It will be interesting to hear your ongoing troubleshooting efforts and results!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 10:57am

NightOwl,

Quote:
But, I can not think of how malware could effect the initial POST of a system that requires the "norwegian reset"!

I'm having a hard time getting that one straightened out too ... Wink ... !

I had already seen it but thanks for the link to the Symantec web page. If installing a different hard disk does not make a difference (Ghost 2003 does still not load from the GBDs), then some other hardware must be smoked. If it does make a difference, I will reinstall the original hard disk and try the suggestions in that article. Even if using switches works, I don't regard that as a long term solution. I will nuke the hard disk using DELPART and see what gives after that. If still no luck, a new hard disk will be installed.

My thoughts on malware writing to the disk is that Ghost does write to the hard disk. I have no idea in which location Ghost 2003 "marks" a disk but malware may use the same location. It is a possibility ... Lips Sealed ... maybe ...  Undecided ... !

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 9:06am

Christer

Quote:
My thoughts on malware writing to the disk is that Ghost does write to the hard disk. I have no idea in which location Ghost 2003 "marks" a disk but malware may use the same location. It is a possibility ...  ... maybe ...   ... !

Well, that's a thought!  My experience with modifying absolute sector 62 where Ghost 2003 *marks* each HDD--as well as placing its *fingerprint* data--has shown that Ghost does access that code on each Ghost load, if a single data point is altered prior to the Ghost load--you get the opening screen stating that Ghost needs to *mark* the drive again (so there must be a *check-sum* for the data Ghost places in sector 62 that must pass testing).

I've written a number of different thing to that sector--Ghost simple over-writes anything there when it *marks* the HDD again, if you allow it to during that load when it reports finding an un-marked HDD.  So, I don't know if a virus or malware could place data there that can protect itself from another program overwriting data in that sector.  And I've never had Ghost fail to load because of changes in that sector--but maybe malware could effect that!??????

Here's a Windows based *sector editor* (
Roadkil's Sector Editor
) that would allow you to look at that sector 62--or any other sector for that matter--see here for discussion:

Invalid Partition Offset Error during Integrit

And here's another discussion about using a DOS based *disk editor* (
PTS Disk Editor
):

Erase DiskID on external USB drive

You can use these tools to just *look* if you wish--you don't have to actually edit or modify anything!

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 11:31am

Christer wrote on Feb 5th, 2007 at 10:57am:
"... My thoughts on malware writing to the disk is that Ghost does write to the hard disk. I have no idea in which location Ghost 2003 "marks" a disk but malware may use the same location. It is a possibility ... Lips Sealed ... maybe ...  Undecided ... ! ..."

CLICK HERE for reference to ancient malware that at the time could - and did - deny access to Windows Update and to all the Symantec products (a full Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional suite) on my PC.  I wonder if it did so in a manner consistent with Christer's musings.

BTW,
BugBear
failed to stymie my active Roxio GoBack which luckily made for an instant recovery.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 3:29pm

NightOwl and El_Pescador,
I'm a little short on time right now but I will take your thoughts/suggestions in consideration. As you may remember, I do not have the computer to hand. If I find the time, I will probably go there tomorrow.

Thanks,
Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Ghost 2003 - General Exception 36000 - Restori
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 3:13pm

I was at my friends tonight and did some harware swapping.

1) Removed his infected HDD and substituted another HDD - same error when launching Ghost 2003 from Ghost Boot Disks. Put his HDD back.

2) Removed new video card and installed the old video card - same error. Put new video card back.

3) Thought I would remove one RAM module and run on a single module one after the other. Not possible since it was RAMBUS and it seems to be necessary to fill all the slots, either with memory sticks or "bridges" (or whatever they are called). I did remove and reseat. (Never worked with RAMBUS before!)

4) Removed the BIOS backup battery and checked the voltage - OK. I jumpered to clear CMOS and jumpered back. Reseated the battery.

When I tried to restart, I had long (2-3 seconds) BIOS beeps in 2-3 seconds interval. Nothing happened. I tried to find out what that means but found no BIOS beep code fitting that description other than "all other BIOS beep codes indicate RAM problems". I removed the RAMBUS modules and tried to start without them and had the same BIOS beeps. (I knew that it wouldn't start ... Lips Sealed ... but did it to find out if the BIOS beeps were different but they were the same.)

My friend will take the memory modules to a computer shop tomorrow and have them checked.

My conclusions:

The infection and Ghost not launcing are not connected.

The computer was infected and had hardware problems simultaneously.

The hardware problem is either memory module(s) or motherboard. (The motherboard is a possibility since I have mechanically disturbed it by removing/reseating the memory modules.)

What do you think?

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 2:36am

One of the local computer shops was closed for "stock taking" and the other had no means for testing RAM or RAMBUS. My friend needs his computer and decided to buy a new motherboard and memory modules. Two 256 MB RAMBUS modules would be twice as expensive as a new motherboard and a 512 MB PC3200 RAM module! The difference is made up for by me installing the new hardware and reinstalling the software. If possible, a repair installation will be done.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:07am

Christer wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 2:36am:
"... Two 256 MB RAMBUS modules would be twice as expensive as a new motherboard and a 512 MB PC3200 RAM module!..."

In the event those surplus RAMBUS sticks eventually prove fully functional, they can be auctioned on eBay and should draw handsome bids.  I recently bought two 128MB sticks that way and I had to bid almost 65% of the new 'street' price Shocked

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print