Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GHOST 2003: Is Live Update back online ? (Read 20376 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

GHOST 2003: Is Live Update back online ?
Feb 7th, 2007 at 5:51am

On 2/4/2007 I downloaded 15-day trialware from the Symantec WebSite for the latest versions of Norton SystemWorks Standard Edition (CLICK HERE) and Norton Internet Security 2007 (CLICK HERE).  Prior to installation of these two products, I downloaded and employed the Norton Removal Tool (CLICK HERE).  After a couple of abortive attempts, I found through "trial-and-error" that for me it was best to load NSW first which then allowed NIS 2007 to overwrite the security aspects of the NSW suite without the prompting for manual intervention as it did with the converse sequence done previously.

Following an exhaustive overnight shakedown, the next day I used the 25-character Product Key from a
Norton SystemWorks 2006 Standard Edition CD (purchased locally at CompUSA) to readily activate the trialware counterpart.  The Norton Internet Security
activation required minor intervention by Symantec Customer Service to complete as I used a Norton Internet Security
Product Key from a prisitine CD which was also purchased at CompUSA.  The service rep said doing this was perfectly "kosher" but that my account at NortonAccount.com had to be slightly tweaked with such a submission.

(NOTE:  Be advised there are no versions of Norton Ghost - "cold-imaging" nor "hot-imaging" - contained in either of the two Norton suites mentioned above.)

The next day I unsealed a Norton Ghost 2003 CD taken from a boxed retail version of Norton Ghost 10 and successfully installed it on my Dell Dimension 8100 desktop PC.  There was an error message to the effect it was unable to merge into the NSW 2006 suite and would have to stand apart as an independent utility.  Despite this eventuality, note in the two illustrations below the
indication of Ghost 2003 being processed "en-bloc" along with the other Norton components during Live Update

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: GHOST 2003: Is Live Update back online ?
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:26am

El_Pescador

LiveUpdate may have looked for an update to your Ghost 2003 program--but did it indicate that an update was found for Ghost 2003, and show the installation of that update?

The version of Ghost 2003 that comes on the installation CD that comes with Ghost 10.0 is the most recent version that was last available through LiveUpdate when Ghost 2003 was still being supported.  Here's a screen shoot of running the *-ver* (version) command from a command window using the Ghost 2003 directory where *ghost.exe* is on the installation CD (X:\Support\ghost.exe):

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 11:00am

NightOwl wrote on Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:26am:
"... LiveUpdate may have looked for an update to your Ghost 2003 program--but did it indicate that an update was found for Ghost 2003, and show the installation of that update?..."

After Hurricane Katrina's impact, I have no Norton CDs onhand with older versions of V2003 for testing.  Please advise.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 12:17pm

El_Pescador, in my own case when I have had Norton SystemWorks (NSW) and Norton Internet Security (NIS) installed on the same PC, I have always used the “custom” installation option for NSW and disabled the inclusion of Norton AntiVirus in NSW.  In this way, I never experienced a sequence issue about whether NSW preceded or followed the installation of NIS.

Having said that, I would also add that Symantec advises that its applications be installed in chronological order (e.g., you must install NSW 2006 before NIS 2007, which may require a user to first uninstall NIS 2007 if it is already present).

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 1:08am

El_Pescador

Quote:
I have no Norton CDs onhand with older versions of V2003 for testing.  Please advise.

Looks like you have the most recent version of Ghost 2003 installed--I've not seen any evidence that there is anything newer than what you show in your command window.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 8:48am

NightOwl wrote on Feb 8th, 2007 at 1:08am:
"... Looks like you have the most recent version of Ghost 2003 installed--I've not seen any evidence that there is anything newer than what you show in your command window..."

If some kind soul out there in the "Cyberworld" has a Ghost 2003 version predating Build 793 (whether standing alone or an element of the Norton SystemWorks suite), please consider allowing me to temporarily substitute it for the Ghost executable file I have onhand.  Doing so will allow me to submit it to the Norton Live Update that I now have set up which should reveal if in fact such service has been resumed for v2003.  It would be best to send me a Private Message in this regard.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 9:13am

El_Pescador

Quote:
consider allowing me to temporarily substitute it for the
Ghost executable file
I have onhand

Might require the whole install from the full installation CD so that the *Registry* knows what is installed--just have the *ghost.exe* file onboard may not be what LiveUpdate checks!?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 12:29pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 8th, 2007 at 9:13am:
"... Might require the whole install from the full installation CD so that the *Registry* knows what is installed--just have the *ghost.exe* file onboard may not be what LiveUpdate checks!?..."

After reconsideration, I strongly suspect that you are correct.  I suppose it will take either an obsolescent installation CD or ISO file to ensure that an active update is occurring on v2003.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 2:12pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 8th, 2007 at 9:13am:
"... Might require the whole install from the full installation CD so that the *Registry* knows what is installed--just have the *ghost.exe* file onboard may not be what LiveUpdate checks!?..."

I tried temporarily substituting the Ghost Build 774 executable file in my current set up.  I executed the Norton Live Update illustrated below which looked rather promising, but afterwards a 'Ghost /ver' in Command Prompt revealed no alteration of the Build Number.

I am now convinced that only a full re-installation of an outdated Norton Ghost 2003 version can prove effect in Live Update, and even then I am exceedingly pessimistic that such will do the trick.  I will need either an obsolescent installation CD or ISO file to make the attempt of ascertaining whether or not an active update can actually take place with v2003.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 4:39pm

El_Pescador wrote on Feb 8th, 2007 at 2:12pm:
"... I am now convinced that only a full re-installation of an outdated Norton Ghost 2003 version can prove effect in Live Update, and even then I am exceedingly pessimistic that such will do the trick..."

I repeatedly submitted Norton Ghost 2003 Build 775 (see below) to Live Update with negative results.  Well, now that we know that Build 775 doesn't cut it, hopefully we can turn up a Build 779 or greater that is just short of Build 793.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 11:07am

I installed a system from square one this weekend. I installed NSW 2003 (without NAV), NG 2003, NIS 2005 and LU 3.0.xxx in that order. Norton Ghost was included in the installed components list (to be updated) but when all updates had been installed and LU was happy, ghost.exe was still version 775.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 12:31pm

El_Pescador, in your initial post, you commented that there are “no versions of Norton Ghost – ‘cold-imaging’ nor ‘hot-imaging’ – contained” in the current Norton SystemWorks standard edition.

Is this also true of the premier edition?  In other words, is buying the Ghost 10 product the only way to now acquire Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 in the retail (consumer) market?  If so, folks should be alerted to the situation, so that licenses for Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 can be acquired before they become completely unavailable.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 1:38pm

Pleonasm wrote on Feb 12th, 2007 at 12:31pm:
"... In other words, is buying the Ghost 10 product the only way to now acquire Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 in the retail (consumer) market?  If so, folks should be alerted to the situation, so that licenses for Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 can be acquired before they become completely unavailable..."

From my own experience with various boxed retail versions of Symantec Norton proucts, I can say with assurance that the folowing did not contain an extra Norton Ghost 2003 CD nor could I find the the v2003 executable file
ghost.exe
anywhere on those CDs that were included:
  • Norton Systemworks 2006 Standard Edition
  • Norton Systemworks 2006 Premier
  • Norton Save & Restore

Such being the case, CLICK HERE for an opportunity to get a Symantec bundle containing a Norton Ghost 2003 CD inside the Norton Ghost 10.0 retail box.

EP
    Cry
  •  

IP Logged

Pleonasm
    Übermensch

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 3:25pm

Thanks for the reply, El_Pescador.

To clarify, are you also saying that Ghost 8.2 (as well as Ghost 2003) is not to be found in either (a) the Norton SystemWorks Standard Edition or (b) the Norton SystemWorks Premier Edition?

It is my understanding that Norton SystemWorks Standard Edition is not the same as Norton SystemWorks 2006, nor is Norton SystemWorks Premier the same as Norton SystemWorks Premier 2006.  The version without the year designation is the most recent and current one, whereas the version with “2006” is (obviously) the prior release.

Early indications are that Norton Ghost 12 (due in late April, 2007) will not include either Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8.2.  If that is true – and, if all current editions of Norton SystemWorks exclude both Ghost 2003 and Ghost 8.2 – then it would appear that consumers will shortly be completely and permanently unable to acquire a license for Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 from Symantec.  Sad

IP Logged

El_Pescador
    Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 4:55pm

Pleonasm wrote on Feb 12th, 2007 at 3:25pm:
    "... To clarify, are you also saying that Ghost 8.2 (as well as Ghost 2003) is not to be found in either (a) the Norton SystemWorks Standard Edition or (b) the Norton SystemWorks Premier Edition?..."

Whereas the Symantec Recovery Disk that came with my boxed retail version of Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier did have v8.2 onboard (but no evident v2003), I am unable to comment on the current Norton SystemWorks Premier one way or the other.

What I did with Norton SystemWorks Standard Edition was download the trialware recently and after a couple of days I activated it using the Product Key from a pristine NSW 2006 Std Ver purchased last fall at a local CompUSA.  Therefore, I surmise that I have the latest version, but there is no indication any version of Norton Ghost is present.

EP
    Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
    Send Topic Print