Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GHOST 2003: Is Live Update back online ? (Read 20475 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: GHOST 2003: Is Live Update back online ?
Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 6:02pm

El_Pescador, to summarize, what we now know is that the Norton SystemWorks Standard Edition does not include Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8.2  Sad – but, we don't know if the Norton SystemWorks Premier Edition does or doesn't.

We'll have to wait until we see a post from some using the Norton SystemWorks Premier Edition, and then ask.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:17pm

Pleonasm and El_Pescador

Ghost 2003 can be found on the installation disc for Norton SystemWorks 2006 (NSW 2006)--it's buried deep within the bowels--for those folks who might still be using Win98 or ME systems and do not have WinXP and .net to run Ghost 10 which is the default program on NSW 2006.

It's found here: X:\NSW2005\NSW2005.EXE

Have to open the NSW2005.exe with *WinRAR*--once that archive is opened, you go here to find the basic DOS programs:  NSW2005.EXE\Support\Ghost:

ghost.exe
gdisk.exe
ghreboot.exe
ghstwalk.exe

And you can find the install program, *Ghost.msi* by going here:  NSW2005.EXE\GHOST

And all the Windows Ghost 2003 files are in the *Data.cab* file in the same subdirectory as the *Ghost.msi* installation file above.

WinRAR will allow you to extract any and all these different components as you see fit for use or installation.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 9:46am

NightOwl, as I understand the situation, the difficulty is that Norton SystemWorks 2006 is basically no longer being sold, having been replaced this year by Norton SystemWorks (without a year designation).

We don’t know with certainty yet, but:  (1) if Ghost 12 doesn’t include Ghost 2003 (DOS)/Ghost 8.2 (Windows PE) as early reports indicate; if (2) the Ghost component of Norton Save & Restore 2.0 likewise excludes Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2; and if (3) Norton SystemWorks Premier {i.e., the current version without a year designation} will now include Norton Save & Restore 2.0, then it seems to follow that licenses for Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 will essentially become completely unavailable.

With Ghost 12 and Norton Save & Restore 2.0 due to be launched by the end of April, we could be just 90 days away from the permanent disappearance of Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 as a purchase option for users seeking an image backup utility.  If that is the case, then I think this forum should highlight the situation so that users who wish to acquire Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 are able to do so while the opportunity still exists.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #18 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 5:11pm

El_Pescador wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 4:39pm:
"... I repeatedly submitted Norton Ghost 2003 Build 775 (see below) to Live Update with negative results.  Well, now that we know that Build 775 doesn't cut it, hopefully we can turn up a Build 779 or greater that is just short of Build 793..."

A Live Update in Norton Ghost 2003 Build 775 stated that the product was fully up to date, but a check with the /ver feature failed to reveal any actual change (see below):

I did succeed in upgrading Norton Ghost 2003 from Build 775 to Build 789 when Live
Update files contained in the latter were injected into the former beforehand followed
by a reboot and activation with the Norton Systemworks Live Update feature in the GUI window (see below):

Regrettably, despite yet another optimistic declaration when using NSW Live Update on Build 789, the desired status of a Build 793 as shown below was not achieved:

Nowadays, the only way I can come up with Build 793 is by accessing the installation CD for Norton Ghost 2003 as shown below (this CD was included as lagniappe in a retail boxed version of Norton Ghost 10.0):

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #19 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 8:48am

To all

For additional discussion:

Ghost 2003 & Live Update ? ? ?

Norton Ghost 2003 Update

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #20 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 10:21pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:17pm:
"... Ghost 2003 can be found on the installation disc for Norton SystemWorks 2006 (NSW 2006)--it's buried deep within the bowels--for those folks who might still be using Win98 or ME systems and do not have WinXP and .net to run Ghost 10 which is the default program on NSW 2006.

It's found here: X:\NSW2005\NSW2005.EXE

Have to open the NSW2005.exe with *WinRAR*--once that archive is opened, you go here to find the basic DOS programs:  NSW2005.EXE\Support\Ghost:

ghost.exe
gdisk.exe
ghreboot.exe
ghstwalk.exe

And you can find the install program, *Ghost.msi* by going here:  NSW2005.EXE\GHOST

And all the Windows Ghost 2003 files are in the *Data.cab* file in the same subdirectory as the *Ghost.msi* installation file above.

WinRAR will allow you to extract any and all these different components as you see fit for use or installation..."

I repeatedly performed *WinRAR* extractions on two different CD copies of Norton SystemWorks 2006 Standard Edition and then on a single copy of Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier Edition.  As shown below, I was only able to find the folder entitled GHOST on the NSW 2006 Premier CD where I was able to readily extract those Norton Ghost 2003 application files mentioned above.  I have come to the conclusion that only the Premier/Professional Edition series - past and present - of Norton Systemworks will yield Norton Ghost capabilities of whatever stripe.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print