Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help on Ghost 10? (Read 10240 times)
MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Need help on Ghost 10?
Feb 8th, 2007 at 11:55am

Hi

I have my C: drive all backed up but I am having problems creating a Bootable CD.

One of the things that is giving my fits is the fact that I can't find the file that launches Ghost.

The instructions that I am following say that I am supposed to insert the location for ghost.exe.

I can not find any such file or any file that launches Ghost, though it starts when I click the Norton Ghost button.

I have created a CD that boots but it takes me to drive a: which doesn’t exist on my computer.  It wont let me switch to drive C:.

I've been at this all morning.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the correct info on creating an image file that will work in Easy CD Creator that will boot my computer and start Ghost?

This is driving my up the wall. 

Why can’t Norton just make, standardized image files for the various Windows versions that you can download? 

The instructions that I have don’t use any files specific to my computer.  I remember the old days with bootable floppies.  You could stick one in anything and it would boot up.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Need help on Ghost 10?
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 12:50pm

MikeHawthorne wrote on Feb 8th, 2007 at 11:55am:
"... The instructions that I am following say that I am supposed to insert the location for
ghost.exe
..."

I am not qualified in the least to comment on the "hot-imaging" Norton Ghost 10 product, but I am quite confident that
ghost.exe
is the executable file for the "cold-imaging" Norton Ghost 2003.  A like anlaogy would be fueling a spark-ignition engine with diesel oil.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 1:48pm

MikeHawthorne,

Ghost.exe is not part of Ghost 10. Which version of Ghost did you buy?

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 9:06am

Hi

I have Ghost 10.

What am I supposed to put in the autoexec.bat file to launch the program from the startup disk?

I would really like to get this resolved.  The main reason that I bought Ghost was to have a backup in case of a disastrous crash.

Sorry I don't know how I ended up posting this on here twice.

Mike

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 9:09am

Hi again

By the way does anyone know of a link to a site that specificly adresses the process of creating a bootable disk for Ghost 10?

Mike

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:34am

MikeHawthorne

Quote:
By the way does anyone know of a link to a site that specificly adresses the process of creating a bootable disk for Ghost 10?

Ghost 10's installation CD is bootable to the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment--Ghost 10's Windows PE environment for running Ghost 10 outside of the regular Windows OS--can only restore previously created images--can not create new backup images there.

If you downloaded the Ghost 10 program--the paid version should have included an *.iso* file to burn a Ghost 10 *Recover Disk* that is your bootable CD to run Ghost 10's Recovery Environment.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:39pm

Hi Nightowl.

I finally understand.

I thought that was what I was supposed to do, but I burned it to my CD as a data file and it wouldn't boot.

So I thought that I had to make the disk bootable.

No I have saved it to my CD as an Image file and it boots the computer.  The only problem seems that it gets to the "Please Wait" screen and just sits there.  I waited about 6 minutes and nothing happened so I gave up.

How long should I have to wait at this stage of the process?

Mike

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 11:42pm

MikeHawthorne

Quote:
The only problem seems that it gets to the "Please Wait" screen and just sits there.  I waited about 6 minutes and nothing happened so I gave up.

When Ghost 10's Recovery Disk is first booting--down along the lower part of the screen--for a very brief period--maybe 5 seconds--you will see a message saying press F6 if you need to load Windows drivers for your HDD controller.

If Ghost 10's boot CD does not have your system's HDD controller drivers built-in so it recognizes your HDD controller--then you have to add the drivers.  And Ghost 10 will *hang* at the point you mention above.

You have to use a floppy disk with the drivers on it--and feed it those drivers when that F6 option flashes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:39am

HI Nightowl

I don't have a floppy drive, so I don't know how I would do that.
There is nothing unusual about my computer though.

It's a standard Dell XPS that has a normal setup with two standard 200 gig hard drives and nothing tricky.

Mike

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:43pm

MikeHawthorne wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:39am:
"... I don't have a floppy drive, so I don't know how I would do that..."

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 1:03pm

Thanks for the info,

It may come to that, I now know what driver is missing, (see my Validation Tool post) just not how to install it on launch without a floppy drive.

It seems to me that Symantec could get around this whole problem if they would just make the software look on the boot CD for the drivers.

Then you could just copy all the necessary drivers to the CD and away you go.

Is this too simple a solution?

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print