Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A couple of questions about bootable CD? (Read 16336 times)
MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

A couple of questions about bootable CD?
Feb 8th, 2007 at 11:25pm

Hi

I followed the procedure listed on the web site exactly.
When I booted from the disk I ended up at the a:\ prompt.
I don't have an a:\ drive on my computer.

I am running Windows XPMCE sp2 and all the Ghost files are installed in the default location.

I cut and pasted the contents of the Autoexec.bat and config.sys files into the ones on my disk so I know they are right. 

So what am I doing wrong?

Second and this may be the problem.
Where in the heck is the ghost.exe file on my computer?
I ran search for it and came up blank.

When I look at the properties it leads to something called nswigho.nsi.

When I click on the Norton Ghost icon the program starts.
I don't remember ever not being able to fine the .exe file for a program before.  I don't have any files hidden.

I have been working on this most of the day and I still can't get it to work.

Since these things seem to be pretty generic, at least the old boot disks were why can't Norton just post an .img file that can be downloaded for each version of windows that would work for a standard Ghost installation?

Mike

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: A couple of questions about bootable CD?
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 1:18am

MikeHawthorne

Quote:
Where in the heck is the ghost.exe file on my computer?
I ran search for it and came up blank.

If *ghost.exe* is not present on your system, then you are not running the DOS based Ghost program--I have to suspect you are running the Windows based Ghost program--Ghost 9 or 10--they only run under a Windows NT base OS--and do not run from a DOS boot floppy disk or bootable CD disc to DOS.

Right click on the Ghost icon, select *Properties*--what is the target program that the *Shortcut* links to?

Quote:
When I look at the properties it leads to something called nswigho.nsi.

Okay--I see you already answered that question--that must be the Ghost 9 or 10's program file--after you start the Ghost program--go to the *Help* menu item and click on *About...*--what program version does it show?

Quote:
I don't have an a:\ drive on my computer.

When you boot from a bootable CD to DOS, it creates a *virtual A:\* drive--if you have an actual floppy drive installed, it is *bumped* to being drive *B:\*--you can not write to the the *virtual A:\* drive--but you can read from it and copy those files from it to other locations.

If you boot to DOS, you can only access DOS based partitions--i.e. FAT12 (floppy disks), FAT16, and FAT32 formatted partitions.  If you have only NTFS partitions--DOS is not *aware* of that type of partition formatting--and they will not show up in DOS!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 2:44am

Mike, could we twist your arm tighter. Which version of Ghost did you buy?

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 9:20am

Hi

Sorry just got back here, I have Ghost 10 and I searched for a link to a site that told how to make a bootable CD and ended up a Radified.

I went through the process of creating one based on the info here.  I didn't realize that it doesn't apply to Windows XP, though I had a suspicion when it said to select Win 98 on one of the steps.

Is possible to make a disk that will start the Ghost program without starting Windows?

One if the main reasons that I bought Ghost was to have a backup in case of a crash.

Mike

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 9:31am

Hi again

As long as I am asking questions, what is the purpose of the file...

"NortonGhost100AllWinEnglish.iso"

That I copied to the boot disk?  I assumed that it had something to do with loading some sort of temporary operating system.

Mike

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 12:14pm

MikeHawthorne wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 9:31am:
As long as I am asking questions, what is the purpose of the file...

"NortonGhost100AllWinEnglish.iso"

Mike, that's it. The main file. But you must burn it as an image and not a data file. So if you have Nero you would close the initial Window (New Compilation) and then click Recorder, Burn image, navigate to NortonGhost100AllWinEnglish.iso, click Open, etc.

The CD should boot to a Recovery Environment. It takes around 4 minutes to load.

See Reply #12 re installing Ghost 10.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=ghost9_10;action=display;num=117...

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 2:56pm

Thanks for the info Brian.

I have the full version of Easy CD Creator 8.
And I did save it as a data file.

Can anyone tell me how I do it correctly in this program?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:31pm

Hi again.

I found the create disk image selection button in Easy CD Creator and the disk did boot my computer, at least up to a point.

I got through the loading Ghost Recovery Disk progress bar.
Then the message Please Wait showed up and I waited for about 6 minutes and nothing happened.

How long should I have to wait?

Mike

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:20pm

MikeHawthorne wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:31pm:
How long should I have to wait?

Mike, a few seconds usually. As a test give it 15 minutes but usually if it sticks on "Please wait" it stays that way. Some people here have contacted Symantec regarding this problem and were issued with a different ISO, that worked. Seems it's a hardware incompatibility.

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:06am

Hi

This might be my keyboard.

When I had my recent crash I couldn't get the Windows installation to complete.  It kept hanging at the loading hardware (or something like that) and not continuing.

I went to bed and during the night I remembered that I had changed to a new Microsoft Natural 4000 keyboard a few months before.

In the morning I plugged in my old keyboard and started the computer.  The install picked up where it left off and continued to the end.

I'll try and run the boot with my old key board installed.
I don’t know why Windows doesn’t like Microsoft’s own key board.
Otherwise this is a fresh Windows install with nothing unusual as far as I know.

Mike

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:36am

MikeHawthorne wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:06am:
In the morning I plugged in my old keyboard and started the computer.  The install picked up where it left off and continued to the end.

Is your new keyboard usb?  For the most trouble free operation (especially in DOS), use a wired PS2 keyboard, not a usb one.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 10:01am

Hi Ghost4me

Yes the new keyboard is a USB keyboard.
I unplugged it and plugged in my old PS2 keyboard and it still hangs at the "Please Wait" screen.

I have contacted Ghost support and will have to wait to see what they have to say.

I thought this was going to by easy.
I remember when you could boot your computer with only a floppy disk.

Mike

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 10:34am

When the white bar is flashing across the bottom during boot, it is scanning your hardware settings and devices.

To try to isolate the problem, unplug ALL usb cables from your pc, and try booting from the CD again.  Sometimes one or more external devices can cause this type of problem.  If it boots ok without anything, try adding back just the usb external drive and try again.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 10:37am

MikeHawthorne wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 10:01am:
I remember when you could boot your computer with only a floppy disk.

You still can if you want Dos 3.3.  But you don't get networking (usually), Internet, etc etc.

Mostly, you get DOS, Word Perfect for DOS, and Visicalc and 1.44mb or 720kb diskettes for storage!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:52pm

Brian wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:20pm:
Mike, a few seconds usually. As a test give it 15 minutes but usually if it sticks on "Please wait" it stays that way. Some people here have contacted Symantec regarding this problem and were issued with a different ISO, that worked. Seems it's a hardware incompatibility.

The Ghost 10 that came out in the fall of 2005 (I think that was the date) had driver support for the motherboards at that time.  Symantec never came out with 10.1 or 10.2 etc. with more and newer motherboard support.  Unfortunately, you have to specifically request a "newer" version of the Ghost 10 Recovery CD from Symantec tech support in case you have the original Ghost 10 Recovery CD.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print