Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003: Can't boot to clone (Read 6945 times)
Raydeo
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The Neon Desert , Arizona

Ghost 2003: Can't boot to clone
Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:24am

Hello All,

A Google Hunt led me to this site, and I thought I'd share a discovery I recently made re: Ghost2003 and a problem I encountered in trying to boot to my XP clone. I posted this issue on the Lockergnome (OK to mention ?   Undecided) forums hoping it would benefit those out there who may have encountered this same issue. Doing the same here, as Google now shows this site to be the "Bible" of Ghost issues et al...

Just cloned my master C: drive over to the slave using Ghost2003 :

After changing the boot order in the bios to boot from the slave I now cannot get past the password screen in XP Pro. Normally (when booting from the master) hitting "enter" or OK gets me past the screen and all is OK.
No passwords or admin privs are setup.

I have managed to do perfect clones/transfers on this particular computer with Win98SE, but it was only when I "upgraded" to XP Pro that I encountered this password issue . Trying to boot to the slave clone would not let me past the PW screen. Putting the clone on the Master cable (with jumper moved to master) positon would not let me in either .

Spent the weekend chasin' Googles and stumbled upon a clue that led me to the fix :

Turns out the XP clone "didn't like" having the file sharing enabled (default) in the Folder Options.
For the benefit of those not familiar, here's the path to my  "problem" that needed to be UN checked :

Tools\Folder Options\View\ Uncheck the "Use simple file sharing(Recommended)"

I can now boot to the slave , and "enter" gets me past the Password screen.
FWIW : I'm told that this can sometimes resolve issues with SATA drives and Ghost

Best,
Raydeo

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003: Can't boot to clone
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:53am

Raydeo

Thanks for sharing!

That is a *unique* cloning issue that I have not seen mentioned by anyone before.

I'm now going to have to look at several systems that I have used Ghost on in the past--I've not had any problems using Ghost with WinXP on them--but I'm not sure of the settings on those.

I can say on the WinXP system I'm typing from right now--"Use simple file sharing(Recommended)" appears to be the *default* setting, and it has been *enabled* ever since WinXP was installed--and never a problem.  So, I'm wondering if there is some other contributing factor (setting) that has to be present as well!???

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are ;) !

IP Logged

Raydeo
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:32am

Hello NiteOwl :

I neglected to mention that my particular problem only appeared after going into the Networking properties and correcting some issue that I can no longer recall. Just had to reset "something" and that was when the clone failed to boot for me. Note: it was the clone that I made AFTER the "reset" issue that would now not boot. Prior to that, the clone would boot OK. After the "reset" was done, I now had the password screen appearing on the boot to the Master , which was not there previously. Go figure, the Master would let me past the password screen, but not the Clone. 
Un checking the file transfer fixed it, and that's all I can tell ya.

A Clone that won't boot is not all that "Handy"  ??? 

Best,
Raydeo

"Simplicity is the highest form of Science"  A. Einstein

IP Logged

Raydeo
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 11:16am

Hello :

One other thing that I failed to mention :

As a new member to this forum, I'm not familiar with the Protcols regarding the mention of other forums, etc. This will take you to a discussion that deals with this issue and its' successful conclusion. :

http://help.lockergnome.com/general/Norton-Ghost-HELP-ftopict50986.html#381270

Sharing the Information on the Highway,
Raydeo

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 2:04pm

Raydeo,

Regarding "Use simple file sharing(Recommended)". NightOwl has this enabled and I have it disabled. Neither or us experience restoring/cloning problems and you didn't either before the "reset". I'm interested in how this setting could affect your system. Let us know if you can recall more about the "reset".

IP Logged

Raydeo
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 9:12am

Brian : Sorry, but can't recall how I managed to get into my password screen situation. However :
Here's a bit of history regarding a similar situation that was remedied by disabling the file sharing. Ghost2003 appears to "take issue" with certain hardware conditions, SATA drives vs IDE, etc. . The following quote is from a fellow who calls himself "The Shadow" and is pretty much of GhostGuru himself :

" I've tried to clone my own HD (with XP-Pro) to both an IDE drive and a SATA drive and had boot failures in both instances. I had to use Acronis True Image to get the clone accomplished without the boot error.
I don't get a login screen, because I've got winders set up to auto-login, but after the Windows Splash Screen, I'd get this big blue screen with a little 1" square Windows XP icon in the middle of the screen and it would go no further. I could move my mouse cursor around on the screen, but windows would never finish booting up.
I have another new SATA drive here and I'll try the Ghost cloning procedure with and without your fix and see if that fixes my problem here.
I've thought for a long time, since this problem first came up, that I was just missing some simple setting somewhere, but I had no idea where. "

Disabling the file sharing solved his problem as well.
My gut is telling me that this may be a fix for many of the "unusual" issues now apprearing with the newer hardware and XP ( with Ghost2003 )
The link I posted above will provide more detail if interested...

Best,
Raydeo

Life is like Money ,
It doesn't come with Instructions

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 2:10pm

Raydeo,

Quote:
After changing the boot order in the bios to boot from the slave I now cannot get past the password screen in XP Pro. Normally (when booting from the master) hitting "enter" or OK gets me past the screen and all is OK. 
No passwords or admin privs are setup. 

I have managed to do perfect clones/transfers on this particular computer with Win98SE, but it was only when I "upgraded" to XP Pro that I encountered this password issue . Trying to boot to the slave clone would not let me past the PW screen. Putting the clone on the Master cable (with jumper moved to master) positon would not let me in either .

Not getting past the password screen (logon) suddenly rang a bell.  If it happens again could you try Method #3. I've seen this several times but not with Ghost 2003.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm#method3

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print