Restoring with NS&R (Read 51481 times)
unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Restoring with NS&R
Reply #15 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 12:46am

NightOwl wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:28pm:
leary

If you are asking if the application programs will work after you restore them from a Ghost image file to the new system--the answer is *No*!

You can restore *data*--files that are independent of applications--such as *.doc* files, *.jpg* files, etc. that can be opened by an installed application.  But Windows based applications must be installed so they have their program Registry entries installed--a simple restore of the *.exe* file will not do that!

If the application is an OS independent application that has no entries required in the Registry--that program will work if it is restored from an image file!

Let me see if I understand....anything which enters info to the registry (Windows based applications, can you give an example of one) needs to be reinstalled?  I guess wht I don't understand is, I was under the impression if this were a simple complete backup image of a HD to another HD (same PC).....all would work and be the same, including Windows based applications. I'm little confused.  Maybe it best to wait til my PC has all it new components installed and then maybe you guys can guide me through it. 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 12:58am

unure wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 12:46am:
I was under the impression if this were a simple complete backup image of a HD to another HD (same PC).....all would work and be the same, including Windows based applications.

Absolutely correct.

The confusing aspect is you are putting that image into a computer with different hardware so WinXP may not boot because it doesn't have the correct drivers for the motherboard etc.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 1:17am

Brian wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 10:07pm:
Let's say you download WinZip and the file is in My Documents. You then double click the file and run the install. Windows creates a folder in the Program Files folder and this contains a lot of WinZip files. In addition Windows puts entries in the registry and maybe files elsewhere in the C: drive. So you really can't copy only the Program Files folder to a new WinXP and expect the apps to function.

Mount An image (Mount a recovery point) :  Your recovery points are on the external HD. Right click a .v2i file and click Mount. OK the offered drive letter. If you now look in My Computer you will see a new "drive" which is your backup recovery point. You can copy and paste files (or drag) from this drive to your C: drive or to any other partition that may be present. See how easy it will be to get files from this backup recovery point into your new WinXP if you have to install WinXP from scratch.

To dismount the drive: Right click the drive letter and click Dismount recovery point.

Don't use this. Restore the recovery point from the CD Recovery environment.

What brand computer? Any hidden partitions?

Quote:
Restore the recovery point from the CD Recovery environment.

Which means use the Back up Now option instead..right?

Quote:
[What brand computer? Any hidden partitions?

No.  Just one.

My computer now (before the ugrade) is one I built.....

Gigabyte K8NE rev. 2
AMD Athlon 64 +3400 2.4 Ghz 
2 Gigs Ultra 3200 DDR RAM 
HIS X1900XTX IceQ3 512mb
Seagate NL35 Series 250 GB SATA Internal Hard Drive
NEC NR-7900A CD-RW IDE Internal 24x10x40
Samsung 56X DVD ROM
Floppy
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit PCI Sound Card
ULTRA-QUIET PSU: SILENCER® 470 ATX
328 Black 3 LED fan Custom Gaming Mid-Tower ATX Computer
Windows XP Home Edition

The top 4 components will be upgraded.  All I hope for is to have it run with all the same files, folders, programs and applications as I do now (if thats possible).  Maybe it best to run a backup (Back Up Now)  right before I nstall the new stuff and as I mentioned in the previous post to Nightowl...wait til then to seek your help.  You all have been real patient with me and all your advice/procedures will make more sense when its time to actually do it. The last thing I want is to fluster you all to the point you won't want to help me.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 1:33am

unure wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 1:17am:
The last thing I want is to fluster you all to the point you won't want to help me.

That won't happen. Ask as many questions as you want.

Quote:
Maybe it best to run a backup (Back Up Now)  right before I nstall the new stuff

Yes, do that. Make sure you defrag the C: drive before creating the recovery point. It's a good idea to have several backup recovery points for redundancy.

Have you mastered Mounting a recovery point? As we've indicated, you can get data files out of the mounted recovery point but you can't get whole programs and make them work.

You may be lucky. Your restored image may work without any special assistance or it may work after a Repair install.

How are you planning to setup your partitions?
How much data is on your current C: drive and how large is the Recovery Point (.v2i file)?

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 9:19am

Quote:
The confusing aspect is you are putting that image into a computer with different hardware so WinXP may not boot because it doesn't have the correct drivers for the motherboard etc.

I now know that unfortunately.  Both of you have said that maybe.....just maybe if I was lucky and mounted a image from my old PC to the new one, it might boot and I could repair the OS from the WINCD.  So is it really worth the try?

Quote:
Have you mastered Mounting a recovery point? As we've indicated, you can get data files out of the mounted recovery point but you can't get whole programs and make them work.

No.  ever since I got NS&R, all I have done is backup.  There hasn't been a need to restore so this will be my first time...scary.

Quote:
How are you planning to setup your partitions?

Plan? Maybe you have forgotten to whom your speaking Smiley. Well, I always used 1 partition because of laziness and inexperience(loaded OS and Data) but I have learned thats not a good idea so my plan is to have 2.  One for XP and everything else on the 2nd.

Quote:
How much data is on your current C: drive and how large is the Recovery Point (.v2i file)?

First , let me say that at the end of every backup it said the procedure was successful though I really never have verified it.  That said, since my USB external HD is brand new and as only 1 backup on it from a couple of days ago.  Checking the Norton Backup folder (which there is only one) the file named "C_DRIVE010 Symantec Image File" has 20,209,664 KB.  The other file named "Symantec Recovery Disk File" (V2i) has only 1 KB.  Since you specificly ask about that one....I'm now worried it has only 1 KB. I can't remember in the past even when I had many recovery points that file been more than 1 KB....but I can't say for sure.  I going to run another backup right now and see.  Plus you guys have said its a good idea to several points just in case.

In an eariler post I was asked to....
Quote:
Right click a .v2i file and click Mount

Right clicking just gets me the usual windows options such OPEN WITH...SEND TO...blah blah.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #20 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 10:08am

leary

Quote:
just maybe if I was lucky and mounted a image from my old PC to the new one, it might boot and I could repair the OS from the WINCD.

Just to be clear and to make sure you understand--you create a backup image and save it--say to your external HDD--you then *restore* that image after booting to the Ghost Recovery Environment because you can not restore you OS partition from within a running Window OS.

*Mounting* an already created image is done in order to have access to files that have been stored in the image file--you can then recover the files if you need them--all this is done from your Windows OS that's up and running, and you use your Ghost program to access that image file--*mounting* an image is not the same as *restoring* an image.

Quote:
So is it really worth the try?

That's up to you!  *Nothing ventured--nothing gained!*--how much is your time worth--do you want to experiment?  If it doesn't work, you just pop in your WinXP installation CD and overwrite what you have previously attempted--you have your backup image as safety--personally, I'd invest in a second HDD--remove the original for safe keeping--and *play* with the new HDD--and once all done--install both HDD's for use--or keep the second HDD for emergency use if that's your preference!

Quote:
First , let me say that at the end of every backup it said the procedure was successful though I really never have verified it.

You should have Ghost *verify* each backup you create to make sure Ghost *sees* your backup as valid, and not corrupt for any reason--redundancy/safety!

Quote:
Plan? Maybe you have forgotten to whom your speaking . Well, I always used 1 partition because of laziness and inexperience(loaded OS and Data) but I have learned thats not a good idea so my plan is to have 2.  One for XP and everything else on the 2nd.

Keep your partitioning as simple as makes sense to you--the more complicated--the more you have to keep track of!  But, here's some guidance to make you think about your *plan*:

Radified Partitioning Strategies

PLANNING YOUR PARTITIONS

Partitioning Help, Dual Booting

Partitioning is a *personal* thing--should make sense to you and your *needs*!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 11:39am

As far as what I do know and don't will come quite clear after reading the following....

Quote:
Just to be clear and to make sure you understand--you create a backup image and save it--say to your external HDD

That I know how to do.

Quote:
you then *restore* that image after booting to the Ghost Recovery Environment

That I have never done...not sure how yet.

Quote:
--*mounting* an image is not the same as *restoring* an image.

I thought they were the same....I know the difference now, thanks.

Quote:
*Mounting*

Never have done that...not sure how.

Quote:
You should have Ghost *verify* each backup you create to make sure Ghost *sees* your backup as valid, and not corrupt for any reason--redundancy/safety!

Ok sounds good, but not sure how.

Btw, I took some screenshots of my backups (not too clear)...

The V2i file is only 1 KB....should it be?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 2:06pm

leary,

Quote:
The other file named "Symantec Recovery Disk File" (V2i) has only 1 KB.  Since you specificly ask about that one....I'm now worried it has only 1 KB.

This file is an index file and can be completely ignored. That's what I do. It's actually .sv2i and not .v2i so I assume you right clicked the wrong file when you tried to mount the recovery point. You need to right click a .v2i file which are C_Drive010 and C_Drive 011.

In My Computer, what are the Total Size and Free Space of your C: drive? To plan your partitions we need to advise you how large to make the new C: drive.

Thanks for the screen shots. The Recovery point browser does much the same as mounting a recovery point but mounting is much easier to use.

To verify at the same time as create...    NSR should be the same as Ghost 10.

Quote:
Start Ghost 10
click Back Up Now
click Define New Backup
In the Easy Setup Window put a dot in Define a new custom backup. OK
click Next in the Define Backup Wizard
select the drive to backup. Next
put dot in Independent recovery point. Next
choose the location for the backup image. Next
Compression Standard (recommended). Tick verify. Untick Limit the number of ... Ignore Advanced if you don't need to split the image. Next
dot in Manually
tick Create Recovery point now
Finish

PS In Folder Options, View tab, I'd remove the tick in "Hide extensions for known file types". That's what led you to think the Index file was .v2i.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 2:45pm

Quote:
This file is an index file and can be completely ignored. That's what I do. It's actually .sv2i and not .v2i so I assume you right clicked the wrong file when you tried to mount the recovery point. You need to right click a .v2i file which are C_Drive010 and C_Drive 011

Silly me.  Found it, r-clicked and saw the the options
1. Mount recovery point
2. Dismount recovery point (not available)
3. Properties
4. Verify recovery point
5. Archive recovery point

I didn.t go any further.  Is that something I want to do now? Or wait till after I install then new stuff and preparing my HD?

Quote:
In My Computer, what are the Total Size and Free Space of your C: drive? To plan your partitions we need to advise you how large to make the new C: drive.

C: drive is 27.2 Gigs of used space and 205 Gigs of free space.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 3:15pm

You should play with mounting to understand how it works. You can't do any damage as when you dismount the drive the image is unchanged.

I suggest you make your new C: drive 50 GB. Future data can go to the data partition following the C: drive.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #25 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 4:47pm

Brian wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 3:15pm:
You should play with mounting to understand how it works. You can't do any damage as when you dismount the drive the image is unchanged.

I suggest you make your new C: drive 50 GB. Future data can go to the data partition following the C: drive.

Wiil do..to both suggestions. Btw, thanks for the verify while creating procedures.  I'll try it on my next backp.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 1:11pm

Well, my new parts will arrive to day sometime and if time allows I will be able to attempt to install and use the info you provide me to get XP up and running. All the links you provided has helped a lot. I check with MS activation to see if my XP Home OEM is the type that will allow me to reactivate and it is and due to the major upgrades (WPA) I will have to.

So here is my plan:
1. Create a current valid backup point on the ext. USB drive.
2. Install all new parts including my old SATA drive with all data+OS intact.
3. Attempt to boot from the WINCD

If it works, do a repair and hope for the best.  Best case senerio eveything will work....worst case....fresh install and restore as much data I can from the backup.

From the links you provided, it mentions that XP OS will not always provide the option to repair if the changes to the system are too great in which case I probably be back seeking your guidance for my first NS&R recovery.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 1:58pm

leary,

Yes, create a new recovery point after having defragged the C: drive. Have a look at the defrag graphic to confirm that all data is contained within the first 50 GB of the HD. Estimate if it looks OK.

Good luck with plan #1. There are several more if it works or if it fails.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 4:12pm

Brian wrote on Feb 13th, 2007 at 1:58pm:
leary,

Yes, create a new recovery point after having defragged the C: drive. Have a look at the defrag graphic to confirm that all data is contained within the first 50 GB of the HD. Estimate if it looks OK.

Good luck with plan #1. There are several more if it works or if it fails.

Here is a pic of my degraged HD.  How can you tell if its contained within the first 50 gigs?  If the full bar represents all 250 gigs then I'd have to say no.  Does it have to do with the way its partitiion?  Cause I only have one.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 8:32pm

Thanks for that image. It looks like your data is spread over about 150 GB of the HD so the recovery point wouldn't restore to a 50 GB partition. I suggest downloading and installing PerfectDisk 8. They have a trial version. It should reduce that data spread.

http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk_download.cfm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print