Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Restoring with NS&R (Read 51663 times)
unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Restoring with NS&R
Reply #30 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 12:13pm

I ran the program.  I first analyze then selected entire drive with all files.  It recommended offline defrag (which I indicated OK) and it rebooted and defragged before booting to desktop.  I then checked and it didn’t consolidate all the files to the left as I thought it would.  Looked the same with the free space gaps as before.  So I ran it again and this time it indicated the HD was defragged and fine. Nothing need be done. I see no other options on the menu that would help. Did I miss something?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #31 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 1:10pm

Sounds like you did everything correctly. You did the Offline as well as the Entire Drive defrag choices. What does the graphic look like in PerfectDisk? Are the free space gaps like the Windows defrag app? If so, get PerfectDisk to run an Aggressive free space consolidation. It's under Drive Properties.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #32 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 2:55pm

Got it to work by using SMARTREPLACEMENT function.  See pic.  That one blue line in the middle is really GREEN (unmoveable files) why this screenshot shows it as blue....who knows.  Since it unmoveable files does it pose the same problem ( partitioning 50 gigs)?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #33 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 3:26pm

Leary, it's green in my browser. Have a look in PerfectDisk, Analyse function. Is there data in the same place as shown in the Windows defragger? What is it? "Excluded" or "MFT/MFT Zone"? See the Legend section for the colour code.

From memory, PerfectDisk likes to put the PageFile in the middle of the drive and this is labelled "Excluded".

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #34 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 3:44pm

Leary, do you have Partition Magic? Using PM would allow you to make the C: drive any size.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11709...

Looks like this expires tomorrow.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 4:48pm

Quote:
Leary, it's green in my browser.

It is green but when I see it here its blue.....odd. PD view is the same as Win defragger. I do have PM so I can make any size partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #36 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 5:15pm

unure wrote on Feb 14th, 2007 at 4:48pm:
I do have PM so I can make any size partition.

Well that makes things easy.

I'd still be interested in.

Quote:
What is it? "Excluded" or "MFT/MFT Zone"? See the Legend section for the colour code.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #37 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 8:52pm

Can't answer that now cause I have no computer (I'm using the local librarys).  I didn't expect to need a 12V 8-pin connector to power my new CPU Angry.  So I'm  here trying to find somewhere I can order a 4 to 8-pin  adapter overnight.

Hopefully I should be up and running by friday night in which case I'll know if plan A worked or be back here begging for a help on plan B

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #38 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 9:29pm

unure wrote on Feb 13th, 2007 at 1:11pm:
So here is my plan:

If it works, do a repair and hope for the best. 

Just cleaning up the plan. If it boots and everything looks OK then you don't need to do a repair install. If it doesn't boot (or blue screens) then do a repair install.

IP Logged

unure
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #39 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 5:54am

Brian wrote on Feb 15th, 2007 at 9:29pm:
Just cleaning up the plan. If it boots and everything looks OK then you don't need to do a repair install. If it doesn't boot (or blue screens) then do a repair install.

Well who would have ever guessed (except you)!!! Usually, if wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all BUT.....it booted right up and no blue screens ...(I did have to load all the new drivers for the new components.

I want to thank you Brian and Nightowl too for all you help and patients.  I still have yet to preform a restore but who knows...maybe...just maybe I still have some luck saved up, but should it run out....I'll know where and who to turn to.....Again  all my thanks...YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #40 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 11:48am

unure wrote on Feb 17th, 2007 at 5:54am:
it booted right up and no blue screens

Excellent. Time for a beer.

The hard work is almost over but the even better news is you don't have to restore an image because you can resize your C: drive with Partition Magic. Make a recovery point before the resize. Shrink the C:  partition to 50 GB or whatever size you desire. The resizing should run quickly as you have shifted all the data to the left by defragging. This will leave about 185 GB of unallocated space to the right of the C: drive for your (yet to be created) other partition(s).

Thanks for keeping us informed about your interesting project.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print