Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 10 Question (Read 10738 times)
Petlydecker
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Norton Ghost 10 Question
Feb 11th, 2007 at 1:49am

Hello,

I am an old user of Ghost 2003, and just installed Ghost 10. My question is about the way to create backups. I am used to booting off the Ghost floppy disk into PC-DOS. Either I am missing something or Ghost 10 only allows hot backups from within WinXP? If so, can I also due an install of Ghost 2003 with version 10 installed or no? If I cannot boot into PC-DOS with version 10 then I think I would like to use version 2003 with PC-DOS. I am just curious how to due a restore if WinXP crashes from a virus or something? Unless I can boot off the Ghost 10 disk and browse to the Ghost image file? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Alissa

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Norton Ghost 10 Question
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 2:40am

Petlydecker,

Welcome to hot imaging. Yes, backup images (called recovery points by Ghost 10) are made in Windows and restores are done from the CD recovery environment.

I hope these help.

How to backup....
Quote:
Start Ghost 10
click Back Up Now
click Define New Backup
In the Easy Setup Window put a dot in Define a new custom backup. OK
click Next in the Define Backup Wizard
select the drive to backup. Next
put dot in Independent recovery point. Next
choose the location for the backup image. Next
Compression Standard (recommended). Tick verify. Untick Limit the number of ... Ignore Advanced if you don't need to split the image. Next
dot in Manually
tick Create Recovery point now
Finish

How to Schedule backup...
Quote:
Start Ghost 10
Click Back up Now
click Define New backup
Define Backup Wizard opens, Next
select the drive to backup, Next
choose Recovery point set (recommended), Next
Choose location and filename, Next
Choose desired compression, Tick Verify recovery point after creation, Choose your Limit...(I leave unticked), ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Dot in Scheduled, click Define Custom Schedule
Scheduling tab,Top part is for the days and the time that recovery points (Base and Incremental) will be created. I tick all days.
Untick "Create more than one recovery point per day" if you only need one , otherwise choose the number of incremental recovery points
Choose frequency of Base recovery points at the bottom, eg weekly, monthly, etc    I choose weekly
Click "Event trigger" tab, Choose any of the four or leave unticked, (I leave unticked) OK, Next
Tick "Create recovery point now" if you want it done before the scheduled time, Finish

How to restore....
Quote:
Boot to the CD
set the Time Zone
click Recover My Computer
You will probably get a message about No recovery points found. Click OK.
click Open another location
Navigate to your recovery point
click Recover My Computer
put a dot in Custom (not Express). Click OK.
Next
choose the Unallocated Space on your new HD. Next.
tick Verify recovery point before restore
tick Check for file system errors after recovery
Resize drive to fill unallocated space will probably be greyed out. If it isn’t, tick the box
put a dot in Primary partition
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signature
tick Restore MBR
Next
no tick in Reboot when finished
click Finish. Yes.

No need to install Ghost 2003. You can still run it from the boot disc if you desire.

In the Ghost 10 recovery environment there is an added bonus. Ghost 8.2. You can use Ghost 8.2 to create and restore images if you desire. Ghost 8.2 will restore your Ghost 2003 images as well.

IP Logged

Petlydecker
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 3:30am

Brian,

Thanks for your answer and help. Where can I go to find more information about booting off the Ghost CD-Rom? When I boot of it it loads the disk and then it says please wait and nothing happens. I can't figure this out. In the beginning it will ask for a SCSI driver, I don't know if I need to load one? But one of the drives I am using is a SATA 150 drive. I checked Symantec's website and can't find or am not seeing a forum. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Alissa

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 4:25am

Alissa,

Regarding "Please wait"... see this link onwards.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11709...

People have had to contact Symantec and request a different .ISO to burn.

From your Ghost 10 CD, in Windows, there should be a Driver Validation menu. Run this and it will tell you if the CD has drivers for your SATA controller. This is separate from the "Please wait" problem. I note you have a floppy drive. The easiest way is to load the SATA drivers from a floppy but they can be added to the CD fairly easily.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 10:04am

Petlydecker wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 3:30am:
"... In the beginning it will ask for a SCSI driver, I don't know if I need to load one? But one of the drives I am using is a SATA 150 drive..."

My Dell Dimension 8100 has a PCI-to-SATA adapter card to control my Maxtor 120GB SATA MASTER HDD. My XP Home Edition OS works superbly with it, but nonetheless the system falsely insists on categorizing the SATA HDD as being a SCSI device.  So, I recommend loading any and all potential drivers even if it does not really make sense as I have found that computers can be peculiar at times.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 12:54pm

Petlydecker wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 1:49am:
"...If so, can I also due an install of Ghost 2003 with version 10 installed or no?..."

With an installation CD for Norton Ghost 10.0, you already have on hand a "cold-imaging" Ghost product (Version 8.2) that is in many ways an analogy of Norton Ghost 2003 that just happens to run in a Windows Preinstalled Environment. Check the threads below for details (Pleonasm has stated he uses v8.2 concurrently with Ghost 10):

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Petlydecker
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 3:02am

Hello,

I had to contact Symantec's online support via a technician through online chat. I got a new CD image (ISO) from them to burn and use. Apparently the Norton Ghost 10 CD or program has a problem with nVidia nForce 4 driver's. Specifically the network controller or driver. The new ISO image works perfectly. My only complaint is the CD takes a long time to load or boot off of. Other than that, no problems. Thank you for your help. You are all a bunch of nice knowledgeable guys.

Thank you,

Alissa

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 3:47am

Alissa,

Thanks for educating us too.

The CD typically takes 4 to 5 minutes to boot.

IP Logged

grandpaken
N00b

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 11:37am

I posted the following on another thread, but maybe someone on this thread can answer:

I have installed Ghost 10 from a retail CD and have been creating incremental and full restorepoints without problems. 

After reading some of these forums I realize that these backups of my C: drive are only good if I have a way to restore.   Since something may happen to my installation CD, I tried making a copy of it to use "just in case". 

I can boot from the original CD successfully, but if I try to boot from the copy, it will go most of the way (until a screen is displayed stating "registering system components") and then reboot after a few seconds. 

I have tried to boot both my home PC and my work PC and it does the same. 

Is there some kind of "copyguard" that keeps my copy from being valid? 

I will try another copy tonight to see if it works any better.  The copy appears to have everything that the original has. 

Has anyone else had problems copying their original installation CD and being able to boot from the copy?

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 6:59pm

Brian wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 2:40am:
Petlydecker,

In the Ghost 10 recovery environment there is an added bonus. Ghost 8.2. You can use Ghost 8.2 to create and restore images if you desire. Ghost 8.2 will restore your Ghost 2003 images as well.

I tried to create an image with Ghost 8.2 from the Ghost 10 recovery cd. It is awfully slow compared to Ghost 2003. For now I will stick with 2003 as I am very happy about the speed and reliability.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 9:07am

Rama

Quote:
It is awfully slow compared to Ghost 2003.

Just curious--what do you mean?  Are you referring to the boot time--or the image creation once you have Ghost32 v8.2 loaded in the Ghost Recovery Environment?

Ghost32 v8.2 seems to run at the same speed as Ghost 2003 as far as image creation on my system!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 3:40pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 21st, 2007 at 9:07am:
Rama

Just curious--what do you mean?  Are you referring to the boot time--or the image creation once you have Ghost32 v8.2 loaded in the Ghost Recovery Environment?

Ghost32 v8.2 seems to run at the same speed as Ghost 2003 as far as image creation on my system!

I am not referring to the boot time. It is the image creation speed  once Ghost32 8.2 was loaded.

The image creation was running at 10% of the speed of Ghost 2003. May be some switches need to be set in 8.2 to speed it up. Any help welcome.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 7:26am

I tested the Ghost 8.2 on another system to compare its speed with Ghost.exe (DOS) ver 793, which surprised me

Computer with Athlon XP 2400, Win2K-SP4;  Drive C: 12.55GB program and data. The image sizes are the same.

Ghost DOS - 13.05 minutes
Ghost 8.2 from Ghost 10.0 recovery disk - 10.14 minutes.

So in this instance, 8.2 is faster than DOS version. The previous system (Athlon XP 1800, W2KSP4) where I had disappointing speed results with 8.2 could be due to the way the hard drives are setup on the motherboard and main hard drive being five years old. The above system (XP2400)  has newer hard drives and the CPU is a little faster.

Rama
Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print