Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sata, Raid, & New Computer (Read 9515 times)
stanch
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sata, Raid, & New Computer
Feb 11th, 2007 at 5:45pm

Hello everyone,
I have been using Ghost 10.0 for almost a year with XP pro.  It has saved my bacon more than a few times.  Recently, I built a pc with a new Intel mobo, 965 chipset, set up for Sata & Raid.  Windows didn't even recognize the hard drives when I tried to install the OS.  Long story short, I had to use the Raid Driver floppy first, and then everything went OK.  I got everything set up and installed Ghost 10.0.  When I tested to see if ghost recognized all my drivers, it didn't recognize two (Raid) of them.  Did a full recovery point.  When I tested it out Ghost didn't recognize any hard drives nor any of their partitions.  Is there a solution for this?  I don't want to lose my Ghost!  Thank you much,
stanch

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Sata, Raid, & New Computer
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 6:40pm

stanch,

When you boot to the Ghost CD you need to press F6 to load SATA/RAID drivers. You see the message to press F6 quite early. Use the same floppy that you used for installing WinXP. You will see several drivers to load so pick the appropriate one(s). Then you should see your HDs from the recovery environment. You need to load drivers each time you use the CD but the drivers can be added to the CD if you desire.

Does it work?

IP Logged

stanch
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:24am

Thank you.  I am just up and ready to get ready for work.  I will try this after work and get back to you.  Many thanks,
stanch

IP Logged

stanch
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 6:24pm

Well, I tried pressing F-6 and installing the missing drivers.  When the system rebooted it said "NTLDR is missing"  "Press Ctrl, Alt, Delete.", which would just reboot and give me the same message.  So, I reformatted, re-installed, and did all the updates and here I am.  This time I have noticed I am missing two files.  One file is installed after I press F-6 and choose it from the list.  The other file" Intel (R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection" I am assuming is on the drivers disk but I can't find it.  I am getting a little burned out but I wanted to thank you gentlemen for your help.
stanch

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 8:26pm

stanch wrote on Feb 13th, 2007 at 6:24pm:
Well, I tried pressing F-6 and installing the missing drivers.

stanch,

I'm trying to understand what happened. You booted to the Ghost 10 CD, pressed F6 to install the drivers and it continued to the Ghost 10 recovery environment. Could you see your HDs from Ghost 10? Did you do anything while in Ghost 10?
When you rebooted you had the "NTLDR is missing" message. Weird.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 9:44pm

Brian wrote on Feb 13th, 2007 at 8:26pm:
"... When you rebooted you had the "NTLDR is missing" message..."

My Dell Dimension 8100 desktop PC has a PCI-to-SATA adapter card with an internal SATA port and an external SATA port (CLICK HERE for details).  Strangely enough, the 8100 system insists on categorizing SATA HDDs as SCSI devices.  What is even more inexplicable, the external port is hardwired as Port One and the internal port actually supporting the Maxtor 120GB SATA MASTER HDD is designated Port Two.

So, whenever the external port is connected to an external SATA HDD
prior to boot up
, the adapter card will designate the external HDD as MASTER and since the external HDD has no OS, I then get the dreaded "NTLDR-is-missing" message.  It seems the only way that I can recover is to repeatedly tap the F2 key when booting with hopes of getting into setup to rectify the situation.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

stanch
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 4:33am

I apoligize for not explaining better.  After I posted my problem the first time and before you gave me the correct answer, I clicked on a "restore" program called Farstone Restoreit, that came with my drivers and application software CD.  This program immediately started creating files and I don't know what.  After I got your answer, and pressing F-6 etc this farstone program ( I believe) began resizing files and  interfering with Ghost.  In fact, when reformatting, I found a 15 Gb partition I didn't create or even know I had. So I reformatted the drive and reinstalled Xp.
    Now, when I do a driver check, Ghost 10.0 says "The following devices do not have drivers in the Symantec Recovery Disk.
1.  Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection
2.  Intel(R) ICH8R/DO/DH Sata Raid Controller

I couldnt find the Gigabit Network driver anywhere, at least not anything that would fit on a floppy.  The Sata Raid Controller is already on a floppy that came with the mobo.
So, once again, I pressed F-6 and installed the sata raid controller.  Ghost then recovered the entire OS without a problem.  Just prior to this post I checked the Gigabit Network Connection and it appears to be there operating normally.  I am not sure I understand all this but everything seem to be OK now.  Thanks to everyone for all the help.
stanch    Tongue

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 4:46am

Well I'm pleased it all worked out. What a saga.

The absence of drivers for Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection may or may not mean much. At the worst it could mean that you can't restore an image over the network from the CD recovery emvironment. Does that matter?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print