Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help restoring with Ghost 2003 (Read 2154 times)
efrooney
Ex Member

Help restoring with Ghost 2003
Feb 11th, 2007 at 9:22pm

In October 2004 my secretary told me that the hard drive on her computer was making funny noises, that she was having trouble retrieving files from it and that she thought it was on its way out.  I quickly bought Norton Ghost and my secretary, without looking much at the instructions, used it (Ghost 2003, since the computer was running Windows 98se) to make a copy of the hard drive in question.  The image file she made was spanned (automatically by Ghost 2003 I assume) over 4 CDS.  I then bought a new, larger hard drive for the computer, and on account of that I had to upgrade the BIOS, which I've done.  I installed the new hard drive without partitioning it in any way.  Otherwise, the computer I am trying to restore to is unchanged from when I took the bad hard drive out of it.

I have not been able to restore the image file Ghost created to my new hard drive.  When I use Ghost's restore wizard to try to restore the first of the 4 CDS, it lets me choose the file on that CD to restore from and lets me select a FAT32 file which it shows on "drive 1" (which I assume is Ghost's name for the new hard drive) to restore to, but when I try to proceed I get a message which says, "Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virtual Partition DLL.  This is usually due to there being no free primary partition slots left on the boot disk."  I have looked at the Ghost 2003 users' guide but have not been able to find any reference in it to this problem.

I found this site and am hoping someone here can give me some advice.  I don't actually need to restore everything from the old hard drive, just data files from a handful of applications.  I got excited that I would be able to do that when I read the information in the Ghost 2003 users' guide on how to extract particular files from an image file, but when I tried to use the Ghost Explorer utility to do that, I got hung up by the fact that my image file is spanned over 4 CDS.  The first CD seems only to have boot files, but when I tried to get Ghost Explorer to examine the second CD, it said that I needed to have the base span filed loaded before I could do that, which I think gets me back to my basic problem discussed above.

I'm a fairly logical thinker and not afraid to poke around computers, but I am not knowledgeable either.  I would be grateful for any advice or help users of this forum can give me.

Thanks.

Edward Rooney

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Help restoring with Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 12:14am

efrooney

Quote:
I installed the new hard drive without partitioning it in any way.  Otherwise, the computer I am trying to restore to is unchanged from when I took the bad hard drive out of it.

It's always difficult to understand what a person is attempting to describe when the description does not fit the problem described!

What I'm trying to say--you can not have the problem with Ghost that you are describing, given what you say you're trying to do!

Let's try again--

Quote:
When I use Ghost's restore wizard ...

when I try to proceed I get a message which says, "Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virtual Partition DLL.  This is usually due to there being no free primary partition slots left on the boot disk."

The above quote happens when you are using Ghost 2003 in Windows--that's the only place you can use a *wizard*--and the only time a *virtual partition* is used is when you set up a Ghost procedure in Windows, and it is preparing to re-boot to DOS to complete the process.

So, you can not replace the system's HDD with a *new HDD without partitioning it in any way* and still have Windows and Ghost installed and running!

Or, did you forget to say this is a system with two HDD's--the OS HDD is fine, has Windows installed on it along with Ghost 2003--and it's a second *data* HDD that was making noise, and that is the HDD that has been replaced with a *new HDD without partitioning it in any way*?

Quote:
"Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virtual Partition DLL.  This is usually due to there being no free primary partition slots left on the boot disk."

When one uses Ghost 2003 in Windows, in order for Ghost to do a procedure, it must close down Windows and re-boot to DOS.  In order to do this, Ghost uses a *virtual partition* which it creates so as to not have any active presents on the OS or other partitions on the HDD--but in order for this to work, the OS HDD must have one of its possible max of 4 primary partition table slots unused and open for Ghost to use.  You must have all four of the partition table primary partition slots in use on your OS HDD.

Quote:
In October 2004

Hmmm...it's been awhile since you needed the files from the Ghost image file set!!!

Quote:
when I tried to use the Ghost Explorer utility to do that, I got hung up by the fact that my image file is spanned over 4 CDS.  The first CD seems only to have boot files, but when I tried to get Ghost Explorer to examine the second CD, it said that I needed to have the base span filed loaded before I could do that, which I think gets me back to my basic problem discussed above

Here's a sample of how to use Ghost Explorer with CD image files:

Opening spanned optical disc image set in Ghost Explorer

You will have to do a lot of disc swapping especially if the partition(s) is/are NTFS partitions--if FAT32, then probably less disc swapping.  Another way to do it is copy the files of the 4 CD's to a separate directory on your HDD.  Use Ghost Explorer to point first to the first file of the set in that sub-directory on the HDD, and then point to the last file of the set--it will load much faster--then you can extract the individual files from the image set once it's mounted in Ghost Explorer!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print