Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 from dos floppy - few general questions (Read 11549 times)
jjbtnc
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 2003 from dos floppy - few general questions
Feb 14th, 2007 at 9:53pm

I want to do an image of a hard drive that has a few bad sectors on it using a dos floppy with the ghost 2003 executable on it build 793.

How will it handle the bad sectors?  In windows xp sp2 chkdsk can't recover them and on a 100gb drive they amount to 192k - appeared a year ago and none since - i have a feeling they are soft bad sectors and i may be able to recover them with various utilities and/or format.

Before i try to recover them i would like to make a ghost image of the drive if possible but just wanted to know if ghost will refuse to image the drive, ignore the bad sectors by default, image the bad sectors so it puts them back on a 'good' drive (true image can have problems with copying back bad sectors to a new drive if you're not careful) OR is there an option to tell ghost 2003 to ignore bad sectors?

I saw in the options section, crc ignore and force cloning - would these be appropriate to my situation - i am not cloning a whole drive to a new drive just making an image for now?

If 2003 can't handle bad sectors in any way, are there other versions that can or allow you to skip bad sectors?

I also saw a spaning setting in the options - it's been a while but i'm sure that ghost 2003 used to span automatically when writing to cd/dvd so why this option?

When i used my computer with a new hard drive and started ghost 2003 form the floppy i got a message along the lines of 'ghost has detected that this drive is not marked to work with ghost do you want to mark it for ghost - doing so will make ghost work more efficiently'
then the choices yes, cancel, don't mark for use by ghost

Can't remember the wording exactly - what is this referring to though?  Does it really make a difference and how?

Hers's a vague memory from the past - i sort of remember a message popping up when imaging a fat32 partition warning about a problem where if i restore from the image there could be a problem with a badly fragmented mft - does this ring a bell with anybody?  Can't remember what the options were but if anybody can shed any light as what this means and what to do that would be great - save me getting confused if i get this message again.

Sorry for the questions - i've used my ghost 2003 floppy to back up ntfs drives with no bad sectors fairly recently but this is the first time on a drive with bad sectors and it was a few years back when using fat32 drives.

One other thing while i'm here - i did some ghost imaging recently of the c: ntfs to a separate hard drive - all went without a hitch but i noticed i had a .ghs file created as well as the normal .gho  file - it was on a 250gb empty drive formatted with ntfs so there should have been no files size issues and i didn't ask it to span - why the extra file?  I've ghosted before and only ended up with 1 gho file?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 from dos floppy - few general quest
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 8:52am

jjbtnc

Quote:
is there an option to tell ghost 2003 to ignore bad sectors?

I think this may only work if the destination partition is FAT--might not if NTFS--quoting from the User Guide, p 155, 158, re *switches*:

Quote:
-bfc

Handles bad FAT clusters when writing to disk. If this switch is set, and the target
partition is FAT, Norton Ghost checks for and works around bad sectors. This option may
slow Norton Ghost operation substantially.

Quote:
-fro

Forces Norton Ghost to continue cloning even if the source contains bad clusters.

I've never had to use these switches--so can not say for sure what happens when you do use them.

Quote:
i'm sure that ghost 2003 used to span automatically when writing to cd/dvd so why this option?

The default is to automatically span files, but you can turn it off--and then you have to manually name each span.

Quote:
When i used my computer with a new hard drive and started ghost 2003 form the floppy i got a message along the lines of 'ghost has detected that this drive is not marked to work with ghost do you want to mark it for ghost - doing so will make ghost work more efficiently'
then the choices yes, cancel, don't mark for use by ghost

Ghost 2003 comes with the option of installing a Windows interface--it can be used to set up a Ghost procedure in Windows and then the system re-boots to DOS to complete the procedure.  Drive letter assignment in Windows may not match drive letter assignment in DOS--so Ghost uses this *marking* to know which drive is which once booted to DOS.

Even if you do not use the Windows Ghost interface, the DOS version defaults to wanting to *mark* the HDD's, but as long as you use just the DOS based Ghost, it has no effect--except you can not *automate* a Ghost procedure in DOS--that *Let me mark the HDD's* screen will occur and you have to manually over-ride it if you do not allow Ghost to do its marking.

Quote:
i sort of remember a message popping up when imaging a fat32 partition warning about a problem where if i restore from the image there could be a problem with a badly fragmented mft - does this ring a bell with anybody?  Can't remember what the options were but if anybody can shed any light as what this means and what to do that would be great

I've not had that message--but vaguely remember it being mentioned by others in the past--I think you can use *PerfectDisk* and it will defrag the MTF.

Quote:
i noticed i had a .ghs file created as well as the normal .gho  file - it was on a 250gb empty drive formatted with ntfs so there should have been no files size issues and i didn't ask it to span - why the extra file?  I've ghosted before and only ended up with 1 gho file?

If you ended up with a single *.gho* file, then you must have had less than 2 GB worth of data.

Ghost 2003 is basically DOS based, and DOS has a file size limit of 2 GB--so even if you are working with a NTFS partition to save image files to it, Ghost will *honor* the DOS file size limitation for compatibility.

Apparently, the Corporate DOS Ghost v8.3 has worked around that file size limitation--but that version is not available to the average retail user.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 9:14am

jjbtnc wrote on Feb 14th, 2007 at 9:53pm:
"... I want to do an image of a hard drive that has a few bad sectors on it using a dos floppy with the ghost 2003 executable on it build 793..."

Note the dropdown menu of selected options for Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 in the Windows XP Preinstalled Environment of a Reatogo-X-PE bootable CD.  The 2GB *.gho/*.ghs spanned images created with Ver 8.2 are totally compatible and interchangeable with Norton Ghost 2003 (Build 793 for sure).

EP
Cry

IP Logged

jjbtnc
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 11:08am

Brilliant - thanks guys!

I think all i have left of my ghost2003 is a self made dos floppy and bootable cd.  ir originally came with my pc a few years back along with other stuff like a version of partition magic.  I made the dos floppy and always used that and not the windows install.  it always works and saves having apps installed on my hard drive i don't really need or use much.
Not sure where the original disks that came with my old pc are now - either with a relative or in the loft!!

I just keep my ghost 2003 executable backed up somewhere and make floppies/cds as needed. 
Been a while so i'll make sure i read the manual properly!!

Quite interested in the Bart PE/reatogo stuff but never managed a successful build ???

Thanks again

IP Logged

jjbtnc
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 1:35pm

Do other versions of ghost have specific ways of working with a drive that has bad sectors?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 2:12pm

jjbtnc

Here's what the Ghost 10 User Guide says under *Setting advanced backup options*:

Quote:
Ignore bad sectors during copy

This option lets you run a backup even if there are bad sectors
on the hard drive. Although most drives do not have bad
sectors, the potential for problems increases during the
lifetime of the hard drive.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

jjbtnc
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 5:45pm

Thanks - ghost 9 and onwards don't have the ability to make images via a bootable cd do they?  They can restore but not create an image if i remember right?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print