Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost and Windows Vista (Read 15708 times)
cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Norton Ghost and Windows Vista
Feb 18th, 2007 at 8:57am

Hi Everybody.

Can someone of guys tell me if my Norton Ghost 10 Software will work if I get my new laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate?

Thanks in advance.
Cheng

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Norton Ghost and Windows Vista
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 11:13am

Symantec does not make the claim that Ghost 10 is compatible with Windows Vista.

See this thread for a description of Ghost 12, which is designed for Windows Vista and due to be released in late April, 2007.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 11:26am

.......thanks for your reply.
So I have to until April to backup my stuff.
What you think about Acronis which is apperently the no. 1 backup image software...?...thanks again.......Cheng.......

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 12:40pm

Cheng, I have not used Acronis TI, so I can't offer an opinion based upon experience.

Where did you read that Acronis "is apparently the no. 1 backup image software"?  It might be true, but I am doubtful.

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 12:51pm

.......this is a link to the 2007 disc image backup software review which is one place where it comes in as no. 1 and Ghost is no. 3

http://disk-imaging-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 4:24pm

cheng wrote on Feb 18th, 2007 at 12:51pm:
"... this is a link to the 2007 disc image backup software review which is one place where it comes in as no. 1 and Ghost is no. 3..."

Norton Ghost 9.0 is indeed No. 3, but what happened to Norton Ghost 10.0 and Norton Save & Restore in the meanwhile?

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 5:52pm

Although the TopTenREVIEWS site provides some good summary information of features across multiple products, it acknowledges that "TopTenREVIEWS does accept advertising and is a shopping review site."  As such, its product reviews may not be completely unbiased.  Undecided Additionally, the qualifications of the individuals performing the 'reviews' is unknown.

As El_Pescador noted previously, the site is actually commenting upon Norton Ghost 9 (and not version 10) in its listing.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 12:47am

they must've not looked at wilders:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

still, interesting to see feature sets they are comparing.

was interesting to see
disk partitioning
listed as one of the features. i mean, yeah, nice to have, but that has nothing to do with "imaging" .. as in "disk imaging software".

compatibility i think is ti's biggest hit. if you have the right hardware, you're golden. if not, yer hatin' life.

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 2:02am

.......as I said before, I'll post back after I've tried it.
I'm used to Ghost 10 myself but still giving Arconis a try.......Cheng.......

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 2:20am

cheng,

I'm very familiar with Acronis TI. It has always worked for me but the TI forum is scary. If TI isn't compatible with your hardware then your restores may not work. Look for posts on images that verified initially and later didn't verify at restore time. Some people suggest that you should restore an image to confirm that it's good. That's a ridiculous way to run backups. Images must restore. Everytime.

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 2:56am

.......this sound indeed scary but I can't say anything yet myself because I hadn't had the time to get into it.......Cheng.......

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 11:22am

cheng wrote on Feb 18th, 2007 at 8:57am:
"... Can someone of guys tell me if my Norton Ghost 10 Software will work if I get my new laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate?..."

As an interim measure while waiting for Ghost 12, consider this:  Since you already have Norton Ghost 10,
you now have onhand the essential components required to fabricate the elegant solution of either a BartPE
or Reatogo-X-PE CD featuring the "cold-imaging" Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 in a Windows XP Preinstalled
Environment (see below).  Since this bootable CD operates independently of any installed HDDs, I strongly suspect that a "disk-to-image" Ghost Backup would be viable regardless of the nature of the OS on the MASTER HDD.

However, should you wish to take the "quick-and-dirty" path, boot up with the installation CD for Norton Ghost 10 to immediately engage the legacy Backup/Restore "cold-imaging" procedures by following the path
'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image'
.  Doing so will yield the side benefit of bypassing both USB mass-storage device and - most, if not all - SATA HDD glitches frequently encountered with DOS-dependent Norton Ghost 2003.  In essence, this procedure uses
restoreghost.exe
(an alternate name for
ghost32.exe
) to allow both immediate creation of Ghost Backup images or the converse Recovery of such images that are in fact totally compatible and interchangeable with those *.gho/*.ghs files created with the
ghost.exe
of Norton Ghost 2003 -
but not with those files created with Norton Ghost 9, Norton Ghost 10.0, or Norton Save & Restore during "hot-imaging".

EP
Cry

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 11:37am

.......sorry, but this all seems quiet complicated for me as an average PC user.
But just to mention it, I'm just trying Arconis on my old XP to get the hang of it and since you mentioned Bart PE, this is also included by default in Arconis True Image Home 10.
But also here I haven't figured it out yet how this works in case of a boot failure.
As soon as I have a clue I'll let you know.......Cheng.......

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 11:55am

El_Pescador, concerning Reply #11, there is a critical unknown:  do we actually have evidence that Ghost 8.2 works properly to backup and restore a PC with Windows Vista?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 1:55pm

Pleonasm wrote on Feb 19th, 2007 at 11:55am:
"... there is a critical unknown:  do we actually have evidence that Ghost 8.2 works properly to backup and restore a PC with Windows Vista?..."

You are quite right about the 'critical unknown' aspect, so I suppose that someone just has to
try it in order to find out.  What then becomes the new 'critical unknown' is whether or not a Norton
Ghost Ver 8.2 Integrity Check is adequate proof of the efficacy of the process.  If the risk were
mine, I would go for a "disk-to-disk" Ghost Ver 8.2 Clone as "proof-of-concept" before attempting a Ghost Backup procedure.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print