Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transfer Ghost 2003 Backups? (Read 4529 times)
sdculp
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

sdculp@roadrunner.com

Transfer Ghost 2003 Backups?
Feb 18th, 2007 at 3:42pm

Using Ghost 2003, I have several backups on hard drive #2.  Since it is now full, I backup to DVD.  Can I copy the backups from the hard drive to DVD and have it work OK?  The backups would span more than one DVD, but  the program would might “think” that it was all in one file, i.e. on the hard drive.

Stu Culp

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Transfer Ghost 2003 Backups?
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 9:32pm

sdculp

Quote:
Can I copy the backups from the hard drive to DVD and have it work OK?

Should be fine--but I always run an Integrity check on the image set after making any transfers to make sure the image set still passes.

If you have first saved the image set to the HDD, and later burned it to optical media, you have to use the DOS drivers to mount and assign drive letters to the optical drives--you have to access the image files on the optical media by the drive letter and not Ghost's built-in ability to access optical drives--otherwise Ghost will error out saying the files are not Ghost image files!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

sdculp
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

sdculp@roadrunner.com

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 1:02pm

Thanks for the reply.  I think I know what you are saying.  I would need to identify the source of the files as the DVD rather than the hard drive.

I don’t want to risk messing up my hard drive to experiment, so I’m trying to think this out ahead of time in case it ever has to happen.  Backups to the HDD contain a gho ghost image file and several ghs ghost spanned image files.  Backups to DVD’s only contain gho ghost image files.  If I transferred HDD files to a DVD, then I would identify the DVD drive as the source and put the disk containing the gho image file in first.  The program would proceed until it used up all the files on that disk—and here’s where my doubts come in:  Since it was originally recorded to HDD will it be smart enough to ask for the next disk, or is it going to say “File not found” or go belly up and whimper or what??

Stu Culp

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 11:30pm

sdculp

Quote:
I don’t want to risk messing up my hard drive to experiment,

Doing an *Integrity* check on an image set will not cause any harm to your HDD.

Once you have burned the Ghost image files to optical media--run an *Integrity* check on that image set that you have saved to optical media--that will tell you if there are any issues as far as accessing the image files, and whether there was any problem with the burning of the files to the discs--if it passes the *Integrity* check--you can feel *99.9 %* sure you can use it in an emergency!

Quote:
Since it was originally recorded to HDD will it be smart enough to ask for the next disk, or is it going to say “File not found” or go belly up and whimper or what??

That's what the *Integrity* check will answer--my bet is that Ghost will ask for the next file when it doesn't find the next one on the optical disc--you then eject disc 1, and put in disc 2, and point Ghost to the next file in the set, and so on.....

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

sdculp
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

sdculp@roadrunner.com

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 8:17am

I transferred the gho file and one ghs file from the HDD to one DVD and the other ghs files to another DVD.  Then ran an integrity check.  The program knew to continue with the DVD and asked for the next disk.  Everything seemed to work OK.

Ghost doesn't tell you if everything is OK--just returns you to Windows.  Presumably it will raise a flag if there is an error.

Thanks again.

Stu Culp

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 9:08am

sdculp

Looks like you are in good shape!

Sounds like you are using the Windows interface to run Ghost--you can check the *Log* file--you would start with the Windows Ghost main opening menu screen, go to *Ghost Basic--View Log*.

It should show if there were any errors--but I think the program *pops up* a warning message once returned to Windows if an error state occurred.

You can also *Run Ghost Interactively*--once booted to DOS, you would manually select the image file on the first DVD, and switch to the second DVD when asked, and at the end--you would get the screen which says the image set passed the *Integrity* test.  Then Quit Ghost and you will be returned to Windows.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print