Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Internal Error 2753 kills Ghost 9 installation. (Read 3761 times)
WaiGuo_Guizi
Ex Member

Internal Error 2753 kills Ghost 9 installation.
Feb 19th, 2007 at 4:51am

My attempts to re-install Ghost 9 are frustrated.  When the installation is about 90% done, an error window appears, saying "Norton Ghost 9.0 Installer Information:  Internal Error 2753.  PQV2iSvc.exe".  After I click the OK button, the installation terminates with nothing installed.

The reason I am re-installing Ghost 9 is that I moved my hard drive to a new motherboard.  This mobo has a different chipset (Sis rather than Intel) from the old one.  When I tried to boot into Windows XP Pro SP2 on the new mobo, the blue screen of death came up, repeatedly.  So I had to re-install Windows XP Pro SP2 from the ground up.  This process involved reformatting drive C:, so the Registry is totally new.  However, the executable files from the old installation of Ghost 9 are still on the D: drive.  I never got a chance to properly remove Ghost 9 before the re-installation.

I've been reading some of the messages on other forums about this error message.  Yes, I do have .NET Framework 1.1 installed (and 2.0 & 3.0), with all the updates that Microsoft suggests.  I also installed all the updates to Windows XP Pro SP2 that Microsoft suggests.

Does anyone have a clue about how to get past this obstacle?

IP Logged

WaiGuo_Guizi
Ex Member

Re: Internal Error 2753 kills Ghost 9 installation
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 6:07am

Well, I've solved this one myself, with possibly a little help from Symantec.  So I'll describe the solution here for any sod with the same question.

Browsing on the Web, I came across a reference to a Norton Removal Tool at http://tinyurl.com/mwnpe .  As I ran this and saw its messages flashing across the screen, it seemed to me that it was only making changes to the Registry:  a Registry that, in my case, must have been clear of any Norton keys when I first tried the re-installation, after reformatting the C: drive.

So I wondered if the Norton Removal Tool had done anything to delete the old executable software for Ghost 9.0, left over on the D: drive.  Looking at the D: drive, I saw that the whole directory structure and all files for Ghost 9 were still there.  So I deleted them all.

Thereafter Ghost 9 re-installed perfectly.  Frankly, I believe the Norton Removal Tool did nothing:  what was needed was the deletion of the old executables.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print