Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A lot of problems - Ghost 2003 (Read 4194 times)
warpmaster
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

A lot of problems - Ghost 2003
Feb 20th, 2007 at 5:39am

Hello,

i found this forum for 2 weeks ago. Its very helpful, and there are a lot of information. I have read many guides and i have tested some them about Norton Ghost 2003.

Now, i have some questions for you  Wink

- It's better to change to another Norgon Ghost version?

- My lan is very...complicated. I have a lot of DELL with no floppy, with Sata Disc, etc. Also have another older Pc.  I don't know which its the best way to do backup/restore.

For now, i am making Ghost images and save it in a server. Then, i am thinking in use the Norton DVD Boot and save the image in each DVD. One DVD for class of PC.I read that the best way, is to create a floopy or DVD/Cd with TCP support, and connect to share network drive. I tried this, but gives error. Some advice?

I know this is a particular problem and there are no an only solution. I thank your help for already  Wink

Bye

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: A lot of problems - Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 9:00am

warpmaster

Quote:
- It's better to change to another Norgon Ghost version?

Only if the version you are using does meet your needs, you have the $ to purchase other software, and other software offers the functions/compatibility missing from the current version--cost/benefit analysis.

Quote:
- My lan is very...complicated. I have a lot of DELL with no floppy, with Sata Disc, etc. Also have another older Pc.  I don't know which its the best way to do backup/restore.

The best way is to install internal secondary HDD's--that's the fastest, and avoids compatibility issues of external HDD, LAN connectivity in DOS, Ghost compatibility with optical writers, etc..

There are ways to work around *no floppy* (
Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive
), and usually SATA issues:  
Re: Bootable cd without floppy

Quote:
For now, i am making Ghost images and save it in a server. Then, i am thinking in use the Norton DVD Boot and save the image in each DVD. One DVD for class of PC.I read that the best way, is to create a floopy or DVD/Cd with TCP support, and connect to share network drive. I tried this, but gives error.
Some advice?

Well...need
*some details*
!  Above you have mentioned multiple procedures--*making Ghost images*, *save it in a server*, *save the image in each DVD*, *create floopy or DVD/CD with TCP support*, and *connect to share network drive*.

You do not mention which procedure you are actually trying, what exactly failed, and perhaps the exact error message.

Need the list of files you are using to boot to DOS, the contents of *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat*, the procedure you are attempting, and the error state that you are experiencing!  Then we can begin to see if there's *some advice* we might be able to offer!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

warpmaster
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 11:05am

thanks NightOwl  Wink

I will tray to explain better my situation.

Quote:
The best way is to install internal secondary HDD's--that's the fastest, and avoids compatibility issues of external HDD, LAN connectivity in DOS, Ghost compatibility with optical writers, etc..

Unfortunately, i haven't two HDs for each PC. In fact, most of new PCs are bought with only HD of high capacity. Therefore, all PCs have partitioned its HD. All PCs of LAN have HD partitioned.

What i am doing now?

Well, im making a ghost image in each PC. Then i loggin myself in Windows and move the ghost image to LAN server. Im burning these images in to DVD later. Therefore, i have a backup in DVD and server.

The biggest problem is restore the image. Why? Many PCs of LAN are DELL. These PCs have SATA HD  Undecided I made a boot diskette with Norton Ghost 2003, when system reboot and load the ghost, it failed. Finally i have been make a boot diskette(and DVD) ...that works! This DVD has one or two images.

But i suppose that this way isn't the better or the optimal. I hope to have expressed better my problem  Undecided I know some people use network with ghost. And the problem of Ghost with the network are Ndis2 drivers. My PC( Dimension 3100) had a Intel 100 network card integrated, now have a Realtek 8139D and still i must test it. With Intel 100 don't work Undecided

Well, any advice is glory for me.

Thank you very much  Wink

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 8:52am

warpmaster

For two years, I could not get my NIC card to be recognized by the DOS drivers on Ghost's *Peer-to-Peer Network* boot disk created by using Ghost 2003's Boot Wizard--I tried everything I could think of, posted questions to various forums including here--but nothing.....

Turned out, it was the way I usually re-boot my system to test bootable floppies or optical discs--I would do a *warm* re-start close down from Windows with my boot disk or disc in the drive ready to go--or, once in DOS, I would use *Ctrl-Alt-Delete* to a *warm* re-boot--turns out that with my particular BIOS and NIC card--if the power is not turned off completely, the resources assigned in DOS to the NIC card's *Plug-n-Play* chip would not get reset upon a *warm* re-boot--the resources that Windows had assigned to the NIC card are different than what the BIOS reports and assigns in DOS--but unless the power was cycled *off*--a *cold* re-boot--the NIC card did not get the proper resource settings re-set for DOS usage--so the drivers failed.

I'm not saying that you are having that particular problem--but it illustrates one of the multitude of possibilities when it come to DOS networking--there are lots of variables.

Now, I power down and then re-start--my Ghost boot floppy disks and bootable optical discs work fine.

Are you using Ghost 2003's Boot Wizard to create the Ghost *Peer-to-Peer Network* boot disk?

Here's a resource for creating a *multi-NIC* bootable optical disc--it says for Ghost 8.x--but it works for Ghost 2003 as well:

How to Create a Ghost 8.0 Network Boot CD

If you try one of these *universal* DOS boot disks, is your NIC card mounted and recognized:

Homepage--Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk

Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk--Download page

TeleData Consulting FREE Universal Network/CD Boot Disk

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print