Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can I use Ghost 2003 from floppy on SATA HDDs? (Read 23565 times)
absinthe
Dude

Re: Can I use Ghost 2003 from floppy on SATA HDDs?
Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 4:17pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 22nd, 2007 at 3:42pm:
You might be able to use the DOS USB boot drivers if you disable the BIOS USB support first--and then maybe it will be USB 2.0 speeds!

I tried disabling "OnChip USB" in my BIOS.  The result of that was that the Panasonic driver didn't even attempt to "search" for devices the way it had before.  It just immediately reported something to the effect of "USB host controller not found ..."

Quote:
I'm using an Adaptec Model ACS-200 (USB 2.0/Firewire combination enclosure kit) with a 160 GB Seagate HDD, and both the Panasonic and Iomega Guest.exe work just fine--but my BIOS is non-USB aware as far as booting external devices--it only offers *legacy USB support* which is for USB mice and keyboards--not mass storage devices.

I'm not certain if my mobo is designed to boot from an external device as I've never tried that.  It's a DFI Lan Party UT NForce4 Ultra-D (non-SLI version).  Right now, my manuals are buried under LOTS of stuff in the closet.  There are several USB options in the BIOS, but on a cursory glance-thru of all booting options I didn't see "external device" or "USB device" anywhere.  I'll have to look into this. 

My enclosure is an Adaptec ACS-100, BTW (USB-only version).  I can't for the life of me understand why yours would work and mine wouldn't ...

-abs

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 4:29pm

absinthe,

I did some tests with one of NightOwl's boot floppies and I changed my BIOS setting. My BIOS didn't like the floppy.

Quote:
USB Controller ON (default)   I can see my USB flash drive as C: drive. In Ghost I can see the USB flash drive. My USB mouse doesn't work. USB keyboard works. I restarted with USB external HD attached but Ghost froze at the initial Ghost grey window. There was no text on the window, just text on the title bar. An hourglass was present.

USB Controller No Boot setting. With USB HD attached, Ghost started OK but USB HD not seen in drop down list. I did scroll all the way. USB mouse not working.

USB Controller OFF    At the "press any key" step the keyboard was unresponsive

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #17 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 6:02pm

absinthe

Quote:
My enclosure is an Adaptec ACS-100, BTW (USB-only version).  I can't for the life of me understand why yours would work and mine wouldn't ...

My USB 2.0 controller is the Adaptec Duo-Connect PCI add-on card--it does not interact with the BIOS at all--I suspect that's where your compatibility issue resides.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 6:04pm

Brian

Thanks for reminding me about your testing--the DOS USB drivers do not like a USB mass storage device aware BIOS based on what we're seeing here!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #19 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 6:19pm

absinthe

Quote:
I tried disabling "OnChip USB" in my BIOS.

You can't disable the whole controller and still use it in DOS--if you can disable *legacy support* or something to that effect--you might disable the *built-in* support for the external USB HDD--if you can't do that, then you probably can't use those other drivers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print