Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 backup stops at 2% (Read 38284 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 9 backup stops at 2%
Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 12:49pm

Howy wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 12:39pm:
CHKDSK has been run on all partitions except C:
Partition doctor has found errors on J: but this is not the partition being used for backups.
I performed system restore immediately after the power cut originally.
Firewire is formatted as NTFS.

C is the important drive because that is the one Ghost is trying to read to backup.

Did you use the /f or /r switch?  The /f doesn't read/repair bad sectors, so run with /r and say no to dismounting, then yes to running when you restart.  Then shut down and restart, and chkdsk c: /r should run on your c drive.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 1:04pm

Brian wrote on Feb 22nd, 2007 at 2:45pm:
A few question. How large is your laptop HD? Any partitions? How large is the C: drive? How much free space on the C: drive?

I suggest you try creating an image on your internal HD to see if the external HD is the problem.

IP Logged

Howy
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 4:13am

I have run CHKDSK with /f & /r but with dismounting. So will try saying no and restarting before running the CHKDSK. Bootfix found errors on both C: and J:(which is a copy of C:). This was a copy taken 4 months ago as an insurance should I have a total C: drive failure  so it's not surprising the volume has the same errors as C:.
I can't try creating an image on C: because of insufficient free space (5.5 gb)
I am getting concerned at the failure of Ghost to abort a backup that has failed and stopped at 2%. Hitting <close or cancel>,  crashes the computer and alt/ctrl/del will not allow the task amnager to open so the only option is to physically shut down which can't be good for the operating system's welfare.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 4:19am

Howy,

Can you remove the external HD from the enclosure and install it as a second internal HD?

PS Sorry, just remembered it's a laptop.

IP Logged

Howy
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:02am

First CHKDSK on C took 1 1/4 hrs so will take all day to perform 4-6. Will contact you all later.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 1:12pm

Brian wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 4:19am:
Can you remove the external HD from the enclosure and install it as a second internal HD?
PS Sorry, just remembered it's a laptop.

Brian, one of the easiest ways to upgrade a laptop hard drive is:
1. Purchase an IDE 2.5 to 3.5 adapter like this CompUsa one.

2. Remove the laptop drive.
3. Install with adapter in desktop pc.
4. Take backup-image with Ghost 9/10/S&R.
5. Remove old laptop drive, and put new laptop drive in adapter.
6. Restore backup-image.
7. Put new laptop drive back in laptop.

Using a desktop pc provides more options for where to create and store the backup-image, but run utilities, etc.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 1:33pm

Ghost4me,

I still remember Dan's answer in...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11286...

There is a thread in the Acronis TI group where restoring an image to a laptop HD installed in a desktop computer produced this geometry problem. Have you been successful with IBM and Compaq laptops?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #22 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 1:55pm

Brian wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 1:33pm:
There is a thread in the Acronis TI group where restoring an image to a laptop HD installed in a desktop computer produced this geometry problem. Have you been successful with IBM and Compaq laptops?

I never ran into that issue.  One laptop I upgraded was a Dell and the other was a HP/Compaq.  I never used the "clone" operation on the laptop drives.  I used Ghost 9 or 10 backup and restore; maybe that is the reason I didn't have any problems mentioned in the other thread.

IP Logged

Howy
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 2:43am

I performed CHKDSK /f /r on C:, followed by a reboot 6 times and the backup then went to 4% before stopping. I must assume the problem is with errors in C:. How do you abort a backup without hanging the Ghost 9 prog, please?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 3:13am

Howy,

Were any errors reported at the end of the chkdsk. If you missed the report you can find it (relevant time) in Event Viewer, Application, winlogon.

Any chance you can try a different external HD?

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #25 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 7:13am

Howy wrote on Feb 27th, 2007 at 2:43am:
I performed CHKDSK /f /r on C:, followed by a reboot 6 times and the backup then went to 4% before stopping. I must assume the problem is with errors in C:. How do you abort a backup without hanging the Ghost 9 prog, please?

Mostly, if I've a disk utility program running in the background like O&O Defrag or any process that took huge memory, the backup will hang at 1% but the job finished (hourly if I remember right).

In ghost 10, to perform an abort backup: right click the Ghost icon on SysTray > Progress and Performance > Cancel operation.

RR

IP Logged

Howy
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 5:27am

CHKDSK on C: 6 times reported only minor cleaning of inconsistencies. System Restored in Safe Mode, to earliest available 23/1/07 but drive free space dropped to 1.1gb. Reverted to 27/2/07 free space <0.5 gb. Carried out Disk Clean and returned to 9.88 gb free. On 28/2/07 removed all symantec applns with NTR again and reinstalled from CD.CHKDSK C: again no errors.
Tried Ghost 9 manual backup which stopped at 2%. Cannot now see anything wrong with the C: drive is version 10 any better?

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #27 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 2:06pm

Howy wrote on Mar 1st, 2007 at 5:27am:
is version 10 any better?

Worth a try Roll Eyes
Just try the trial version. It can do backup.

RR

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #28 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 11:45am

Sounds like a job for SpinRite
http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm
Not cheap, but well worth it. I've fixed numerous drives with this same type problem.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #29 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 1:06pm

For an alternative (and critical but thoughtful) perspective on SpinRite…

Quote:
Here are the facts:

As I recall my first encounter with Steve Gibson was when I was managing development for a principal disk technology manufacturer and he was promoting an earlier version of SpinRite. At that time I had about 15 years of experience in disk technology. My sincere efforts to help Steve correct some of the more serious errors in what he was saying proved to be a complete waste of time.

His subsequent "hard disks die!" campaign only compounded the problem. He was spreading hysteria then (for his own apparent gain), and he is doing it again now with Shields UP! The assertion that "hard disk die!" was based on a claim that magnetic patterns "weaken" over time, and that SpinRite could somehow "refresh" them.If this were true, then IDE drives, which cannot be "refreshed," would be dying all over the place, not to mention all the old mainframe drives that had already been running steadily for years. Furthermore, the embedded magnetic servo (used in virtually all reasonably current disk drives) can only be written at the factory.

If it "weakened" then the drive would fail permanently -- SpinRite could not possibly help. The fact that IDE disks have not been failing all over the place due to "weakening" and lack of "refreshing" by SpinRite is clear evidence that the claims were false. (Most problems with older MFM/RLL drives that SpinRite claimed to fix were the result of drives not being properly low-level formatted at working temperature on the actual controller in the end user's computer. This problem was easily solved by using the standard low-level format in the actual controller.

That SpinRite could also correct the problem meant nothing, since all it was doing was using the same controller. Worse, Steve encouraged people to use SpinRite to "recover" areas that had been detected and marked as defective at the factory, a bad idea that leads to more failures in the long run, since end user controllers are not as sensitive as factory test equipment -- they are simply incapable of the kind of thorough testing done at the factory. Then of course SpinRite would be "needed" again to "fix" those failures, a self-fulfilling prophecy. As for the people that swear by SpinRite, there are lots of people that believe in astrology, but that doesn't make it any more valid.

I suggest that those with a technical bent visit the SpinRite website and see they can swallow such things as:
  • "prevents mass storage systems from crashing" (nothing can do that)
  • "sophisticated magnetodynamic physics models" (pseudo science)
  • "weakest possible magnetic signals" (not real)
  • "we doubt whether anyone but Steve and a handful of aliens would even know what all this is" (no argument there)
  • "Weak Bits" (no such thing)
  • "gradual evolution of the drive's storage surfaces through physical and magnetic stresses" (mumbo jumbo)
  • "SpinRite is actually able to lower the amplification of the drive's internal read-amplifier" (impossible, and after all this time Steve apparently still does not know that data is recorded on magnetic disks with flux reversals, not "amplitude")
  • "mass storage systems need periodic preventive maintenance" (nonsense)
  • "yeah, we know, Steve's a magician with his code" (how modest)
As for all the "exclusive" SpinRite features, many if not all of them are anything but exclusive; for example, testing disk surfaces with worst-case data patterns goes back many years before Steve ever thought of SpinRite. SpinRite is 80% hype, 10% dangerous, and 10% real substance.
Source:  SpinRite

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print