Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 backup stops at 2% (Read 38288 times)
ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Re: Ghost 9 backup stops at 2%
Reply #30 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 3:11pm

I agree that SpinRite may not be all Steve claims it to be... what software is? But I do know... from personal experience... that it works wonders on drives where all else fails. I have had drives that would fail to run scandisk, format or even be seen by Windows, or even fail to zero fill. After using SpinRite they are once again useable without problems. I have fixed enough drives to more than offset the cost of SpinRite. And yes there have been lots of drives that could not be fixed also. There may be other alternatives that I'm not aware of... I'm far from an expert... but it works for me without problems.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #31 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 3:24pm

"hard disks die!"

I agree with that statement... but will regular use of Spinrite prevent that from happening? I don't know. Not even sure if I even believe that. I only use it to on problem drives.
Thats what I use Ghost for. If my drive dies, my data is safe. The drive can be replaced... my data can't!

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #32 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 4:36pm

Pleonasm

In the interest of *full disclosure*

Quote:
Source:  SpinRite

Your actual link to the above resource is:  http://www.grcsucks.com/spinrite.htm

I think we can assume this (
grcsucks
.com) is not an *unbiased* source!  Somebody has an *axe* to grind with Steve Gibson!

I've never used SpinRite--so I have no personal knowledge, but I have read some of Steve Gibson's information about system security on his website, and have used his
ShieldsUP
program and have found it to be of value and believable (press the *Proceed* button to get to the *ShieldUP* page--then press *All Service Ports* under the *ShieldsUP Services* to scan you system for any open ports)!

This is what you hope will be the results of the scan:

Quote:
Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way.
Very nice.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #33 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 11:12am

NightOwl, I have no affiliation with GRC (or with its critics), nor have I used SpinRite – and thus cannot comment on the tool itself.

The information quoted in Reply #29, however, might appropriately cause a potential buyer of SpinRite to do a bit a ‘due diligence’ before making a purchase — and that was my only motivation in sharing the commentary.

It is nonetheless worth noting that all of the following criticisms (originally documented in February, 2000) are still present on the GRC website:
  • "prevents mass storage systems from crashing" (nothing can do that)
  • "sophisticated magnetodynamic physics models" (pseudo science)
  • "weakest possible magnetic signals" (not real)
  • "we doubt whether anyone but Steve and a handful of aliens would even know what all this is" (no argument there)
  • "Weak Bits" (no such thing)
  • "gradual evolution of the drive's storage surfaces through physical and magnetic stresses" (mumbo jumbo)
  • "SpinRite is actually able to lower the amplification of the drive's internal read-amplifier" (impossible, and after all this time Steve apparently still does not know that data is recorded on magnetic disks with flux reversals, not "amplitude")
  • "mass storage systems need periodic preventive maintenance" (nonsense)
It is rather odd that GRC hasn’t bothered to address or correct these points in the last seven years.  Search the GRC website, and you’ll find that each of the above quotes is still there.

Also note that the information I reproduced in Reply #29 was posted originally to the “comp.dcom.xdsl” discussion group, and thus is no more or less biased than any other forum post.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #34 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 12:55pm

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 12th, 2007 at 11:12am:
NightOwl, I have no affiliation with GRC (or with its critics), nor have I used SpinRite – and thus cannot comment on the tool itself.

I have used SpinRite, so I guess I can comment on the tool.

See my comment in this previous thread.

Quote:
The Granddaddy of disk analysis tools is SpinRite from Gibson Research Center.  It's been around almost since disk drives were invented.
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
The current version supports NTFS drives.  With the prices now of disk drives, you did the right thing by replacing your drive.  I used to use SprinRite on failing disk drives, but now I mostly just replace them.

Also, see Dan Goodell's comment in this thread.

Quote:
I see Ghost4me posted in another thread about Spinrite, so let me embellish the plug.  This laptop would POST but wouldn't boot, and running the disk manufacturer's diagnostic utility returned, "disk failure, return to manufacturer for replacement."  I couldn't ghost it (nor Drive Image, nor BootIt) because the image creation would fail when it hit an unreadable sector.  So I ran Spinrite 6 on it.  It breezed through the sectors until it hit an unreadable sector, then it worked on the sector for the better part of an hour.  When Spinrite was done, everything was back, and even the manufacturer's utility gave the disk a clean bill of health.  So yes, Spinrite works!

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #35 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 3:33pm

Well, I must admit:  the success stories reported by Ckcc, Ghost4me and Dan Goodell for SpinRite are quite impressive, indeed.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Howy
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #36 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 2:00pm

Smiley I found a reference on this website to the back up advanced box. I then successfully backed up the drive and created an incremental back up by simply ticking advanced/Ignore bad sectors when backing up. So I now have a back up of C:. Although this must have bad sectors C: works without probelms of crashes so that seems good enough for me. Only thing is i hope the back up will restore my drive if I ever get a serious problem. Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print