Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 backup stops at 2% (Read 38290 times)
Howy
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 9 backup stops at 2%
Feb 22nd, 2007 at 1:26pm

Ghost 9.0 backup stops at 2%.
I am using backup with increments from my laptop C: drive to an external firewire drive partitioned 30/30/20 gb allocated drives G:H:J:
I am using G: as the backup volume and the others for images and music files.
After a power cut, which cut out the external drive but not my laptop, I tried an incremental backup that failed.
I then deleted the backup schedule and files & tried to create a new schedule. Stopped at2%.
I formatted the G: partition as NTFS and recreated a new schedule. Failed again.
I then tried the procedure recommended by Symantec when they last deigned to answer an email, when this happened 6 months ago. i.e.carry out 4-6 CHKDSK procedures on the partition and 4 on other partitions on the disk. I did and all partitions were free of errors.
Then I tried to reschedule again and it still stopped at 2%.
Symantec ceased to support Ghost 9 just after I purchased it and this seems to be charecteristic of their idea of customer support. They just do not respond at all now.
Does anyone have a clue how to get Ghost 9 to start performing backups please.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 9 backup stops at 2%
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 2:45pm

Howy,

That's very strange. So the power cut didn't shut down the computer but perhaps it has affected the external HD?

A few question. How large is your laptop HD? Any partitions? How large is the C: drive? How much free space on the C: drive?

Have you tried to uninstall and then reinstall Ghost 9? Which compression level are you using? Have you tried a different compression level? Can you do a manual full image backup?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 9:39pm

Howy wrote on Feb 22nd, 2007 at 1:26pm:
I then deleted the backup schedule and files & tried to create a new schedule. Stopped at2%.
I formatted the G: partition as NTFS and recreated a new schedule. Failed again.

I've seen problems like with after aborted backups with Ghost 9.  Even after uninstalling Ghost 9, you can have leftover info in the registry which seems to interfere with new attempts.

Here's how I solved several cases like this:

1. Delete all Ghost 9 backup definitions.
2. Create a new folder with new name on your backup device.
3. Start Ghost 9. Define a new full-independent-backup to the new folder.
4. Change the default file name from C_drive to something like C_DriveA so that Ghost 9 uses a different name than before.
5. Check the "verify" option.
6. Don't define a schedule.  set it to manual.
7. Manually start the backup.  Choose Full Independent Backup if prompted.

You should get a file called C_DriveA001 etc in your new folder.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:44am

To perform a 'clean' installation of Ghost 9 (or any other Symantec product), first run the Norton Removal Tool.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 6:21pm

Pleonasm wrote on Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:44am:
To perform a 'clean' installation of Ghost 9 (or any other Symantec product), first run the Norton Removal Tool.

Howy, be careful in using the Norton Removal Tool, if you have any other Symantec software on your pc.  The NRT will
kill all
Symantec software on your pc.  So if you have NAV 2007 for example, you'll have to install it again, and other Symantec products, as well.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 10:48pm

How about the our subscriptions / trial version of Symantec's products after using NRT? Back to the 1st trial again?

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 11:18pm

rulirahm wrote on Feb 23rd, 2007 at 10:48pm:
How about the our subscriptions / trial version of Symantec's products after using NRT? Back to the 1st trial again?

The Norton Removal Tool shouldn't (no guarantee) affect your subscription end date.  It definitely won't let you start over by getting another 90 days or one year!  No free gifts from Symantec.    Grin
You might have to re-enter your serial number from your cd or download, but I never had to re-enter it on any pc's that I had to run the NRT.

The best way to run the tool is to:
1.) Go through normal add/remove programs.  Remove ALL Symantec products and Symantec LiveUpdate.
2.) After all the rebooting,
3.) Run the NRT.
4.) I usually manually then open Windows Explorer and look for any leftover folders starting with Symantec ... or Norton ... and delete them.
5.) Reboot
6.) Install your software again.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 11:37pm

I've an experienced with the trial version of NAV 2006 (90 days trial).

After completly removed NAV 2006, I opened my Registry Editor and search for word "Symantec" (I don't believe any registry cleaner programs).

But, the search process took ages so I stopped it. But, when I installing NAV again (with the same Windows), I got the 90 days trial back  Grin but I couldn't remember what registry entries I've deleted.

My Laptop built-in Genuine XP Home Edition that Symantec will give the Microsoft customer a 90 days trial of ther products. But I couldn't get a new version of NAV 2007. The NAV 2006 has expired and so does NAV 2007 (if we fresh install it with the same Windows). 90 days is more enough  Grin

RR

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 12:11pm

After using the Norton Removal Tool (NRT), I have had to activate a product again (e.g., Norton Internet Security 2007) by entering the product key, but my subscription has never changed (either reduced or increased in duration).

As Ghost4me wisely warned, the NRT will remove all Symantec products on the PC.  If you have more than one, be sure that you install them in chronological order (e.g., install Norton SystemWorks 2006 before Norton Internet Security 2007).

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Howy
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 5:30am

Thank you for all your inputs to my issue. I've tried the suggestions but still can't achieve a backup of any sort.
Steps taken:-
Delete Ghost backups, create new backup folder, rename c_drive as C_driveK, set to manual back up, chkdsk G,H,J, partitions of external disk 6 times.
Reformat G: partition and repeat.
Carry out NRT to remove Ghost 9 and AV2006. Check Add/Remove programs and remove residual folder, check windows explorer for Symantec files and delete.
Reinstall both Symantec progs.
Liberate 2 GB disk space on C: drive by deleting old files and performing diskcleanup.
Ghost 9 still refuses to proceed past 2%.
During CHKDSK get message "Cannot run because volume is in use by another process" "CHKDSK may run if the volume is dimounted all opened handles to this volume would then be invalid" Y/N.
CHKDSK runs OK but then am still getting error message on J: partition (not the backup partition)  in the CHKDSK report
"Readable file record segment 5 is not writeable" and I don't know what that may mean.
Partitions H & J still fully operational and R/W ok. Tongue

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:04am

Howy wrote on Feb 22nd, 2007 at 1:26pm:
I am using backup with increments from my laptop C: drive to an external firewire drive partitioned 30/30/20 gb allocated drives G:H:J:
I am using G: as the backup volume and the others for images and music files.

Is your firewire formatted NTFS?  It should be for best error correction and integrity.

Since you are still having partition errors after your power failure, I would recommend cleaning up your firewire drive into one partition only.
1. Copy your images and music files to your internal hard drive, if that is possible.
2. Delete all partitions on the external hard drive (g, h, and j)
3. Use the Windows XP Disk Management tools to format one NTFS partition on the firewire drive.  Be sure NOT to do a quick format.  Do a full format.  (My Computer/right click/manage/disk management for the tool).  Be careful when deleting the partitions to be sure you don't make a mistake.  It is not recoverable.

With your newly formatted external NTFS firewire drive, create 3 folders, such as g:\Images and g:\Music and g:\Backup.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:07am

Another option is to download the Partition Table Doctor free demo software and have it check each partition on your firewire device and see if there are any partition errors.

http://www.ptdd.com/download.htm

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:01am

Maybe the problem is with your Windows (OS):

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:48am

Howy wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 5:30am:
During CHKDSK get message "Cannot run because volume is in use by another process" "CHKDSK may run if the volume is dimounted all opened handles to this volume would then be invalid" Y/N.
CHKDSK runs OK but then am still getting error message on J: partition (not the backup partition)  in the CHKDSK report
"Readable file record segment 5 is not writeable" and I don't know what that may mean.
Partitions H & J still fully operational and R/W ok.

Have you run  CHKDSK C: /R yet?  The /R will cause it to try to read each sector of c: during the next reboot.  Run the same command for all partition letters.

Also, see:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Readable+file+record+segment+xp

IP Logged

Howy
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 12:39pm

CHKDSK has been run on all partitions except C:
Partition doctor has found errors on J: but this is not the partition being used for backups.
I performed system restore immediately after the power cut originally.
Firewire is formatted as NTFS.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print