Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need help upgrading notebook drive using Ghost 10 (Read 18655 times)
Tdao
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Need help upgrading notebook drive using Ghost 10
Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:49pm

I tried searching the forum but no luck. Hopefully I can find some help by explaining my exact problem. Thank you for any feedback.

I tried to upgrade my Compaq Presario X1000 old hard drive (40 GB 4200rpm) to a new one (80 GB 7200rpm) using Norton Ghost 10 on the laptop. I successfully I have tried about 5 times now. When I tried to boot up from the new drive, I am still getting a msg on the screen: "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". I tried to boot using my the recovery CD and commands like 'chkdsk /r', 'fixboot', 'fixmbr'. Still no luck. Am I missing something? I want to clone everything (OS, application, data) from the old drive and then I could easily boot from the new drive. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Need help upgrading notebook drive using Ghost
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:55pm

you are able to connect *both* drives to the laptop at the same time?

no intermediate drive or media? .. such as dvd or extternal hard drive to hold the image between when you create the image and when you restore it?

trying to understand the exact mechanics you are using.

it should be no problem.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:58pm

Tdao wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:49pm:
I tried to upgrade my Compaq Presario X1000 old hard drive (40 GB 4200rpm) to a new one (80 GB 7200rpm) using Norton Ghost 10 on the laptop.

Tdao,

Could you describe in detail the steps you took to do this? Plenty of detail is fine. Then I won't have to quiz you further.

IP Logged

Tdao
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 11:09pm

I am still a newbie for Ghost. Here is what I did:

My system:
HP Preserio X1000 Pentium M
XP Home SP 2
Old drive: 40 GB
New Drive: 80 GB

1. Installed Norton Ghost 10 on my laptop with the old drive in place.

2. Put the new drive in the 2.5 Drive enclosure and connect it to the laptop via USB.

3. Formated the new drive to NTFS using Window XP's disk management tool. Successfully and laptop recognized the new drive.

3.  Ran the Ghost on laptop and did a "clone drive" from laptop C drive to the new drive (everything in my old drive is on C drive, no partition, at least as far as I know after I bought it directly from HP) I checked option like MBR-- successful

4. Swapped the new drive into the laptop drive bay and turn on... then the message: "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

5. Tried "boot from optical device" option after inserting the HP System Recovery CD in the DVD ROM and chose the repaired option and commands like 'chkdsk /r' 'fixboot' 'fixmbr'. -- no luck so far.

Thanks and wait for your advice.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 11:23pm

Tdao,

Not bad but you made one mistake, although the instruction is not in the Userguide. You must clone into Unallocated Space and not into a partition.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

You can recover from this mistake with Method #3. I hope you have a floppy drive. "Clear Sig" from a BING CD allows recovery too.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm#method3

However, your error message looks more like a BIOS issue so you may have two problems. Use Method #3 first and if the OS still doesn't boot have a look at the BIOS. Do you have the most recent BIOS?

Sometimes clones made in external HDs don't boot when installed in the computer and you have to create and then restore an image. Keep us informed and ask for help if I'm not clear.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 11:41pm

as brian alluded to, i think a more common method would be to create an image on an external usb drive.

then swap out the old drive with the new, and restore the image from (stored on) the external drive onto the new drive.

that's how i would do it.

moving the drive from external to internal can confuse things.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 12:17am

Rad wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 11:41pm:
that's how i would do it.

That's how I do it too.

IP Logged

Tdao
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 12:38am

Thanks Rad and Brian! You guys are so quick (and cool)! I just finished reading all links Brian sent. I am trying to use one of the three methods. I will have problem of method #3 because I don't have a floppy disk on my laptop. Can I use a Win 98 Recovery CD for that command "fdisk /mbr"? Or can I look for the 98 Boot disk somewhere on the Internet and store it in a USB pendrive (or burn it to a CD) and hope it will boot? Still searching...

Looking into the other option: "create an image on an external usb drive" Do I need a blank USB drive (I have one 120 GB but already formatted and have lots of files there -- will take quite some time to move the files)? Any step-by-step instruction? Thanks again! And BTW, what is '"Clear Sig" from a BING CD'?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 1:21am

If you can boot to an A: prompt from the Win 98 CD then it should work. I can't remember if the CD is bootable or if it contains fdisk.

For Clear Sig, download BootIt NG. There is a 4 week trial.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Unzip the downloaded file
Double click makedisk.exe
choose Mouse support enabled
choose VESA Video
In the Select Target screen, choose your CD burner drive. Click finish.

When you boot to the CD, for Setup click Cancel as you don't want to install it to your HD.

To clear the disk signature using BootIt NG,

1. Enter the "Work with Partitions" dialog.
   2. Select the correct hard drive.
   3. Click the "View MBR" button.
   4. Click the "Clear Sig" button.
   5. Click the "Apply" button.

Quote:
Looking into the other option: "create an image on an external usb drive"

If you have Partition Magic you can put your 80 GB HD in the enclosure and create two partitions, say 50 and 30 GB. Then image your C: drive to the second partition on the 80 GB HD. Now install the 80 GB HD in your computer and using the Ghost 10 CD, restore the image to the first partition. Boot to Windows. Make a decision on whether to keep the 30 GB partition or resize C: drive to 80 GB.

You can do the initial partitioning from WinXP if you like.

Quote:
Restoring the image (Recovery point)

Boot to the CD
set the Time Zone
click Recover My Computer
You will probably get a message about No recovery points found. Click OK.
click Open another location
Navigate to your recovery point
click Recover My Computer
put a dot in Custom (not Express). Click OK.
Next
choose the first partition on your new HD. Next.
tick Verify recovery point before restore
tick Check for file system errors after recovery
put a dot in Primary partition
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signature
tick Restore MBR
Next
no tick in Reboot when finished
click Finish. Yes

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 2:06am

I forgot to mention that BING has excellent partitioning capabilities from that CD you made. It's an all in one CD. Partitioning, imaging, restoring and a boot manager. The latest version works with Vista. A very clever program.

IP Logged

Tdao
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 3:51am

Thanks Brian again.

For some reasons, the BootIT NG didn't work after I tried to reboot. I already created the CD and followed every step you specified below. If I tried to partition the new drive using BootIT NG, what should do, just say 50 GB and 30 GB? And that will do the trick? I will try and see before I try Partition Magic.

Another question retrospectively: Is it true that my cloned drive should work, if I had not formatted it in the first place? That is what 'unallocated' means, right? Trying to learn here. Thanks again.

==============================

For Clear Sig, download BootIt NG. There is a 4 week trial.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Unzip the downloaded file
Double click makedisk.exe
choose Mouse support enabled
choose VESA Video
In the Select Target screen, choose your CD burner drive. Click finish.

When you boot to the CD, for Setup click Cancel as you don't want to install it to your HD.

To clear the disk signature using BootIt NG, 

1. Enter the "Work with Partitions" dialog.
   2. Select the correct hard drive.
   3. Click the "View MBR" button.
   4. Click the "Clear Sig" button.
   5. Click the "Apply" button.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 4:14am

Tdao wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 3:51am:
For some reasons, the BootIT NG didn't work after I tried to reboot. 

Do you mean you have run Clear Sig and the OS doesn't boot? I'm not surprised as you have just corrected one problem. There is another. Yes, if you had cloned into Unallocated Space you wouldn't have had to run Clear Sig. Have a look in your BIOS for anything that may suggest that the new HD isn't being seen as the boot drive. If it looks OK then it's probably related to cloning to an external HD. Try the image / restore solution.

As far as partitioning the 80 GB HD is concerned, I'd do it from WinXP (Disk Management) or Partition Magic. BING is good but partitioning take a little practice to feel comfortable. Do you need any partitioning instructions?

IP Logged

Tdao
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 5:43am

Ok, Brian. I finally did it. I tried the BootIt NG option again by booting to the BootIt CD I created (following your instruction). After I clicked the "View MBR" button, I messed around a little bit. I tried not only the "Clear Sig" button, but also "Edit Sig" (of course didn't edit anything), "STD MBR", "Move down", "Move up". Anyhow, I just played around and now I don't remember what I actually did.

I found this website helpful: http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#31

I am just glad that my new hard drive is working now, finally. Thanks again for your help, and Rad as well. Best!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 12:42pm

Tdao, great news. But what actually fixed the problem? BootIt NG or an image/restore?

IP Logged

Tdao
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 2:17pm

I didn't do the Image/Restore at all. I was working on whatever I have done before posting here, i.e. Used Norton Ghost's "Copy Drive (Advance)" option to 'clone' my c drive to the new drive. Swap the new drive to my laptop. Then created a BootIt CD on a regular working computer (my desktop PC in this case) and put the CD in the laptop. Boot to the BootIt CD and did the "Clear Sig" as you instructed and some other steps that I forgot now -- sorry... I was just really 'messing around' the 'View MBR' option and boom... it worked. Thanks!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print