Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Missing drives in Ghost 10 (Read 7343 times)
Brothbeard
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Missing drives in Ghost 10
Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:21pm

Hi,

I am quite sure this problem has been answered already but after reading for several hours, I have had to admit that I can't find what I'm looking for.

My computer has a system device consisting of a RAID 0 group of 2x150GB SATA drives configured as 5 partitions and another 500GB SATA drive configured as 3 partitions.

I am successfully able to back up partitions from both devices using Ghost 10 but when I boot from the recovery CD, I cannot see any of the disks. All I can see are four memory card reader devices, one of two CD/DVD writers and a virtual drive created by Ghost at boot time.

When booting from the Ghost CD, I have entered F6 and added the Silicon Image (SiI) RAID drivers - even though they are already on the CD.

Can anyone shed any light on how I might resolve this problem. I feel more than somewhat nervous not having any effective form of backup.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Missing drives in Ghost 10
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:51pm

Brothbeard wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:21pm:
When booting from the Ghost CD, I have entered F6 and added the Silicon Image (SiI) RAID drivers - even though they are already on the CD.

Brothbeard,

So whether you use a floppy or not, you can't see your HDs. Disappointing.

When you run Driver Validation I guess it tells you there are no driver problems. We have had people complaining about SATA/RAID drivers in previous threads. One member had to use outdated drivers and another found he could boot to BartPE using the standard drivers and see his HDs but this wasn't possible with the Ghost CD.

If you don't get a quick resolution I'd contact Symantec and request a custom ISO.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=ghost9_10;action=display;num=117...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 1:02am

Brothbeard

Quote:
... when I boot from the recovery CD, I cannot see any of the disks.
All I can see are four memory card reader devices, one of two CD/DVD writers
and a virtual drive created by Ghost at boot time.

When booting from the Ghost CD, I have entered F6 and added the Silicon Image (SiI) RAID drivers -
even though they are already on the CD

Hmmm....sounds somewhat familiar---

Do me a favor--boot with the Ghost 10 Recovery Disk, then go from the *Main Screen/Recover/Recover using legacy Ghost image*--this loads the Windows based *Ghost32 v8.2* program--

Do you see your HDD's listed in Ghost32 v8.2?

The best way to get to a list of the partitions in Ghost32 v8.2 is to click on *Local>Check>Image* like this:

Then click on the drop down list arrow and you can scroll all the partitions that can be seen in by Ghost32 v8.2:

Results?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 2:05am

NightOwl,

I'm glad you asked that question. I had discounted that possibility but now I'm not so sure. Let's see.

IP Logged

Brothbeard
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 8:57am

Hi,

I've tried using the legacy Ghost image but that too couldn't recognise my SATA drives.

In case it might be useful, I also tried booting with an old Ghost 2003 boot floppy. This COULD see the drives but of course, couldn't see the images.

Thanks for your help on this one.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 9:19am

Brothbeard

Quote:
In case it might be useful, I also tried booting with an old Ghost 2003 boot floppy.
This COULD see the drives
but of course, couldn't see the images

Wow--that's unexpected!  Would not have predicted that outcome!

Are there older or newer drivers for your RAID controller that you can load using the F6 option to see if a different version of the driver works?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 11:16am

Brothbeard wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:21pm:
My computer has a system device consisting of a RAID 0 group of 2x150GB SATA drives configured as 5 partitions and another 500GB SATA drive configured as 3 partitions.
I am successfully able to back up partitions from both devices using Ghost 10 but when I boot from the recovery CD, I cannot see any of the disks.

I'm not positive on this, but I recall reading that it is sometimes required to disable the RAID in your BIOS before booting (or when booting) from the Ghost 10 recovery CD.  (I would think that if you were actually restoring from a backup you would have to rebuild the RAID array yourself afterwards.  I don't have RAID 0 or 1 myself, so I'm not certain on this.)

Do you have the retail Windows XP startup CD for starting up the recovery console etc?  Just wondered if/when you boot from that CD, does it see the RAID devices?  Or do you have to hit F6 and have it read the drivers from your diskette?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brothbeard
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 8:24pm

Hi NightOwl,

I'm running driver version 1.5.5.0 and have now tried a newer version (1.5.10.0) and an older one (1.4.3.0) - all to no avail.

Hi Ghost4me,

The notion of breaking and rebuilding the stripe set seems a bit implausible since if it is bigger than a single physical device that strategy would never work. Haven't yet had time to try booting from my Windows distribution CD as you suggest but will try tomorrow night.

Many thanks again.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 8:32pm

Brothbeard wrote on Feb 27th, 2007 at 8:24pm:
The notion of breaking and rebuilding the stripe set seems a bit implausible since if it is bigger than a single physical device that strategy would never work. Haven't yet had time to try booting from my Windows distribution CD as you suggest but will try tomorrow night.

You're probably right.  I think it was a RAID 1 configuration that I had read about having problems with handling both drives mirrored.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print