Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A nice weekend get-away! (Read 11878 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

A nice weekend get-away!
Mar 5th, 2007 at 9:07am

To all

I had a wonderful weekend get-away that I thought I would share!

I have a friend who has a mountain cabin in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains of Washington State--on the east side of the mountain range--just north of the small town of Cle Elum--it's in the Teanaway River drainage area--on this
Google Map
--the cabin is about in the middle of the *empty space* area just north of *Spoke Lane*,  and between *Sandy Ridge Rd*, and *Wagon Wheel Rd*--it's not actually on a road--it's in the woods!

Click on the *Hybid* button of the Google Map and zoom out--you'll get the idea!

During winter, the cabin is about a half mile from the nearest plowed road.

There's no electricity, no running water, and you have to snowshoe in--and pack food and water in by snowmobile with a snow sled.

The cabin is at about the 3000 foot elevation--there's been a fair amount of snow this year!

Did I mention, there's no running water--that means no flush toilets too!

If anyone is familiar with the PBS (Public Broadcast System)
*Red-Green Show*
--you might want to make a note of another use of *duct tape*--when the toilet seat cracks--it keeps one from being *pinched*!

Heat comes from a wood stove!

Food is cooked on an old wood cook stove--the homemade bread was to die for--it was rising under the red checkered towel!  Beef stew was simmering in the iron pot.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: A nice weekend get-away!
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 10:21am

Hi NightOwl!

Thanks for sharing your nice pictures of a wonderful spot on our planet!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 4:55pm

Yeah, thanks for sharing.

Now *that's* some snow. I like how you were able to get so far from civilization.

The snow & the fireplace make it magical.

Musta been quiet there.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 5:25pm

That's just beautiful. We don't get weather like that here and the first thing that comes to mind is were you warm enough?

We trekked to the Everest Base Camp in the early 80s and didn't have good cold weather clothes. We used to get in our sleeping bags at 6pm because it was so cold. It must be one of my fears. Being cold.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 10:22pm

being colds suks.

but i bet that stove cranked out the heat nicely.

no stoved in the outhouse, tho.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 12:52am

To all

Thought I'd share more:

The first night we got there, it was clear and just before the full moon.  I took these two time lapsed photos by moonlite:

I also took this flash off into the woods:

The next day, we took a snowmobile outing to Teanaway Butte, about 8 miles north further into the mountains and another 2-3000 foot gain to about 6000 feet.  From there we could see the Stuart Range to the north:

And, to the southwest was Mt Rainier:

To answer some comments:

Brian

Quote:
We don't get weather like that here and the first thing that comes to mind is were you warm enough?

The first night was clear, and the temperature dropped to 7 degrees overnight.  We let the wood stove fire die out and the inside cabin temperature was about 40 degrees the next morning.

We had thick down comforters on the beds--and even with the low indoor temperature, we were very comfortable and warm!

We wore coats or sweaters for about the first hour in the morning until the wood stove warmed the place up--we had very comfortable temperatures inside the cabin the rest of the day between 65 and 70 degrees--outside warmed to mid-twenties.

The next night clouded up and the outside temp only dropped to low 20's--cabin was in the low 50's the next morning.

Rad

Quote:
Musta been quiet there.

Very quiet!

Quote:
no stoved in the outhouse, tho.

Cheesy  You got that right!  No extended pondering the meaning of the universe while sitting on the *throne*!  Actually, there was a method to the madness--you watch and wait for someone to go out to use the outhouse--and then you make sure you're close at hand when they had finished--prewarmed seat  Grin !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

sumrica
Radmeister

Down around Biloxi, Miss.

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 1:08am

Quote:
No extended pondering the meaning of the universe

Oh!  What a great body quaking laugh I just had.
Thanks for sharing that great trip with us.

http://www.facebook.com/joesumralliii?sk=info  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print